• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Seated Half Dime......
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I just purchased this pretty little Baby Dime for my 7070 Type Set. I am trying to use as many Variety coins as I can. What first brought my attention to this coin is the die crack on reverse from A in STATES to and thru OF. Then I noticed that the MPD 301 has the same D/C. So I looked in the CPG to check the MPD. It looks to me that the misplaced digits in the 301 are in a different location than on mine. Is it possible that another MPD would have the same reverse? Not being a Half Dime collector I am not that familiar with the different varieties. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a pic of the coin with a blow-up of the area in question.

1853arrHD_811 copy.jpg

Forgive me for saying so, but I cannot recall a single case here or elsewhere where someone purchased a coin raw - or proceeded to have it authenticated, certified, assigned a grade based on expert opinion, had it awarded a CAC sticker -- and then, and only then, submitted it for public autopsy.  My friend, you are a true numismatist not afraid to ask questions even after a nice pink bow has been tied onto your "pretty little baby," as you put it. I hope for your sake a satisfactory explanation will be forthcoming.  As Archie Bunker once said to his wife, "You done good Edith. You done real good!"  That's a nice little baby you've got there if I may say so myself, but I do not have the requisite expertise to offer a dissection.

...to partially answer ur inquiry....yes almost anything is possible in the various die pairings of all of the liberty seated series, the half dime series is replete with literally dozens of die pairings especially in the more common n high mintage years, 1853 is one of those years...ur obverse die could easily have been paired with several diff reverse dies n the reverse could have been paired with several diff obverse dies...there r several excellent resources for ur inquiry...u mite choose to visit the LSCC web site n explore the various links to multiple half dime resources including the e-Golbrecht journal archive links...one point I mite make is although ur photo isn't exactly clear the reverse die break u mention may not be a die break, its possible its the raised impression created by classed dies which gives the reverses the appearances of die breaks when in fact they r clash marks, the mark on ur coin is in the correct position for this to be the case...half dimes r very noticeable due to their small sizes to clashed die impressions...the neuman portal also has numerous photos of half dime pairings...ur specific coin looks very similar to one of the reference coins in the crain collection n could be the same coin...its been a few decades since I last assembled my three sets of half dimes, n my reference notes r not readily available, im sorry I cant give u a more exact answer to ur specific die pairing but my personal resources r not at hand but the LSCC site will get u there...

15 minutes ago, zadok said:

...to partially answer ur inquiry....yes almost anything is possible in the various die pairings of all of the liberty seated series, the half dime series is replete with literally dozens of die pairings especially in the more common n high mintage years, 1853 is one of those years...ur obverse die could easily have been paired with several diff reverse dies n the reverse could have been paired with several diff obverse dies...there r several excellent resources for ur inquiry...u mite choose to visit the LSCC web site n explore the various links to multiple half dime resources including the e-Golbrecht journal archive links...one point I mite make is although ur photo isn't exactly clear the reverse die break u mention may not be a die break, its possible its the raised impression created by classed dies which gives the reverses the appearances of die breaks when in fact they r clash marks, the mark on ur coin is in the correct position for this to be the case...half dimes r very noticeable due to their small sizes to clashed die impressions...the neuman portal also has numerous photos of half dime pairings...ur specific coin looks very similar to one of the reference coins in the crain collection n could be the same coin...its been a few decades since I last assembled my three sets of half dimes, n my reference notes r not readily available, im sorry I cant give u a more exact answer to ur specific die pairing but my personal resources r not at hand but the LSCC site will get u there...

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the LSCC website?

not from my present location....just go online n search LSCC or Gobrecht Journal....or e-gobrecht archives.....as mentioned from photos im more inclined to think ur coin is instance of clashed dies vs die crack, but cant be sure....still think it may be one of crain reference coins as well...

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

http://lsccweb.org

Choose "Education and Resources", Click on "Online References," and the Steve Crane Reference Collection is the first listing. Lots of pictures.

Not much help on the Steve Crane Collection. He didn't even show the MPD that is in the CPG.

...according to my old half dime research n notes there were 78 obverse dies n 80 reverse dies for the '53 WA half dime...so u can do the math n see there could be literally dozens if not hundreds of diff die pairings...crains photos show several recut dates, at least one overdate n a few that could be mpd but r a bit too low grade n toned to determine if close to ur obverse die...as mentioned by several others on this thread urs is a very decent example of this date and interesting with  the repunching or recutting at the rock base, the reverse appears to be consistent with several of the known clashed dies...n obviously could be a diff die pairing than the one u referenced in ur initial posting...

I'll throw in my 10-cents worth, only because I feel like I've seen billions of these dimes over the years.  There surely must be dozens of die-marriages for 1853, as I've observed many different rim breaks, retained cuds, and other anomalies (die clashes as on yours, die defects, etc.)  This particular date often gets dismissed along with others as a "common" but would make a fascinating study for varieties.