• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible Error, Opinions Needed

10 posts in this topic

Hello all!  I'm new to the site, but not new to numismatics.  I recently joined the ANA's YN program, and was able to redeem a free membership with the NGC. A friend recently found this coin in circulation, and has some questions that I cannot answer, and thought I would ask all of you.  This 1999 penny appears to be double-stuck, and also looks like it was flipped over for one of the strikes.  Its difficult to see in the picture, but you can see some of lincoln on the reverse, and can clearly see it say "UNITED" right below lincoln on the obverse.  In the 5th picture I have included, you can see a second rim from one of the strikes.  

His question was first off, what exactly IS this error, what do you think it is worth, and if he were to send it in to NGC, what grade do you think it would receive, and what would the value be?  Would sending it to NCS help?  Thank you for helping us out!
Cheers, NM

IMG_04051.jpg

IMG_04101.jpg

IMG_04111.jpg

JPG00102.JPG

JPG00104.JPG

JPG00107.JPG

JPG00111.JPG

Edited by THENUMISMASTER

44 minutes ago, l.cutler said:

Looks like a vise job, another coin was squeezed into it in a vise or hit with a hammer.  Just damage. Keep looking and studying, coin collecting is a great hobby!

But how does that explain the second rim?  That is a raised line, not an indentation.

I have to agree also. Looks like a vice job to me. If it had been double struck, the lettering would be the correct way instead of backwards. 

On 12/11/2020 at 7:42 AM, James_OldeTowne said:

It's a damaged coin and does not represent a mint error.

There it is.  (I was already thinking proper burial but that is no way to greet a guest looking for some honest answers.)