• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Raven Steals the Sun" medal by Heidi Wastweet

14 posts in this topic

Here are photos of the latest medal, Raven Steals the Sun, by Heidi Wastweet (www.wastweetstudio.com) for the Medal Collectors of America. Heidi is a friend and was a member of the Mint's CCAC for almost a decade. She is one of America's finest sculptors. I have no further information about the medal but details might be available on the MCA web site.

Raven-Heidi.jpg

Edited by RWB
Fix formatting - as usual

4 hours ago, RWB said:

Interested members can read the Native American story at: http://www.magma.ca/~jbremner/blog/months/RavenStealsSun.htm

And now we know why Raven always announces his presence before he arrives. He's very proud of his task, bringing light to the universe.

: A long time ago, the raven looked down from the sky and saw that the people of the world were living in darkness. The ball of light was kept hidden by a selfish, old chief. So, the raven turned himself into a spruce needle and floated on the river where the chief's daughter came for water. She drank the spruce needle. She became pregnant and gave birth to a boy, which was the raven in disguise. The baby cried and cried until the chief gave him the ball of light to play with. As soon as he had the light, the raven turned back into himself and carried the light into the sky. From then on, we no longer lived in darkness.

Marilyn, Northern Exposure

"Medal Collectors of America"

The Raven medal is on the order page listed as "2020" but has no photo or description.

Edited by RWB

4 minutes ago, RWB said:

Membership in MCA is $57 per year.

Electronic Membership is only $26 - or $57 if you want the print membership.

The Salmon People are my neighbors, both upriver and by the saltwater below. A couple of them are good friends of mine, including one who made a gift of a half dozen kewl ball cap hats, the last of which is seen in the back of my car. This part of Raven's story I hadn't heard before, but Raven and the Star Child are my favorite characters in local legend.

Great thread, RWB!

IMG_20201202_134812.jpg