• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double die

11 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, RWB said:

;)

This doubling happens when two coins like each other a lot. They snuggle close in a bag of other coins and get feisty, and , well....stuff happens .... and one of the coins starts to double. But then they got separated in a coin counting machine and never see each other again and one is left with only partial doubling caused when the machine separated the two coins. They try writing letters to each other but since they have no hands (or paper) that does not work well. And one ends up doing two shows a night in the Stardust chorus line in Las Vegas, but gets fired for the partial doubling showing...and, well, it's a long sad story....ending in a quarter slot machine in the men's restroom at a discount gas station, edge worn down, copper showing -- not a pretty sight.

Roger,

Everyone knows that you are a good researcher, acclaimed writer, and experienced numismatist. IMO,  ATS made a very bad decision.  Yes, I realize that the OP's question was answered in the first post BUT I'll guarantee that someone, somewhere in the world, is going to start explain this characteristic as two snuggling coins!   Please save the humor. 

"...Save the humor."

Is that a new tax exempt charity? Is it related to "Send in the Clowns" or "Good Morning Vietnam?" There are semantic challenges out there for us all. :)

....and, yes, many will catch the error - the Stardust closed a decade ago. Nothing left but the sign in a museum and some mobsters' bones in the foundation. Maybe a trove of silver dollars is in that same dirt....?

Edited by RWB

7 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

How do you know if you got one those two coin snuggling errors. I caught my Franklin snuggling with one of my Susan B Anthony dollars. 

Ben was a WORLD CLASS Master with the ladies.. The things he did in France as the ambassador are legendary...

On 12/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, RWB said:

"...Save the humor."

Is that a new tax exempt charity? Is it related to "Send in the Clowns" or "Good Morning Vietnam?" There are semantic challenges out there for us all. :)

....and, yes, many will catch the error - the Stardust closed a decade ago. Nothing left but the sign in a museum and some mobsters' bones in the foundation. Maybe a trove of silver dollars is in that same dirt....?

:facepalm: Col. Jessup often posted things as this that only he could understand. 

23 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

How do you know if you got one those two coin snuggling errors. I caught my Franklin snuggling with one of my Susan B Anthony dollars. 

When you shake a bag of coins the sound you hear is not "jingling" - it's the little coins lamenting loss of their loved ones.;)

On 12/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, RWB said:

"...Save the humor."

[With apologies to the OP, Turko, I should like to amplify what ought to be self-evident by suggesting the phenomenon of snuggling occurs most frequently during the act of smuggling which is how the ten 1933 Double Eagles were able to successfully effect their escape from the Philadelphia Mint, en masse, otherwise known as the "one-shot" deal.  😉]