• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looky Looky Looky

53 posts in this topic

This  was handed to me from a grocery clerk, he asked me what I thought, I told 'em it was counterfeit and to move on...and threw him a nickel so he wouldn't have a short draw.....Me knowing better I  gave it an acetone bath and am thinking of grading........but if it grades pf 65...we're only talking 3 bucks.......damn shame for such a good looking coin.

IMG-1023.thumb.jpg.d58ab3d669990b879616ba7b53077a36.jpgIMG-1012.thumb.jpg.0dd545eb119169cb8d58c7b07eacf37a.jpg

ok , not boasting, just misleading........that being said.....Is it my fault the clerk was not aware of what he had,had, and further my fault that he thought it was funny money? I'm not making excuses for ignorance  Nor will I let a coin fall victim to imbeciles.......

8 hours ago, rocket23 said:

ok , not boasting, just misleading........that being said.....Is it my fault the clerk was not aware of what he had,had, and further my fault that he thought it was funny money? I'm not making excuses for ignorance  Nor will I let a coin fall victim to imbeciles.......

Well, you said you told him that it was counterfeit, so yes it is your fault that he thought it was funny money!

9 hours ago, gmarguli said:

I think I wouldn't be boasting about lying to a person to cheat them out of a coin, even if it were only worth a couple of dollars. 

Very well said.

Edited by MarkFeld

Why lie, chances are that the clerk would have happily traded you, if you were honest with them. Most people are more than happy to exchange if you tell them the truth and they see your excitement/passion for collecting. To bad...

Good news is that you can still make it right. Up to you and you'll probably get to keep the coin anyway.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

26 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Why lie, 

Good news is that you can still make this right. Up to you and you'll probably get to keep the coin anyway.

You know what, that’s a great idea. I’m going to do just that. I’m bringing it back!! But in a 2x2. So he at least knows it should be protected. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

You know what, that’s a great idea. I’m going to do just that. I’m bringing it back!! But in a 2x2. So he at least knows it should be protected. Thanks. 

Awesome! We can all make some rash decisions in the moment, I know I have.

Let us know how it goes.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:30 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Awesome! We can all make some rash decisions in the moment, I know I have.

Let us know how it goes.

So I walk in to the store present the clerk with the nickle, but this time in a 2x2, I explain too him it's in fact a 1962 proof coin worth about 8 bucks.....He disputes this and insists it can't be worth that much money....so I ask him how much to actually buy the coin form you? He says but it's your coin.....I confessed I thought it was counterfeit but it actually isn't!! Again he persists it isn't worth that much......so I asked him what do you want for the coin? He says 25 cents, I flipped him the quarter and thanked him......and out the door I went.......I have a clean conscious.......should I donate the coin to charity now?

It's Christmas... Take it to a brick and morter and let him rip you for 8 bucks..

8 bucks for a 64 proof nickel??? outta a change drawer??? I got a bucket of them little buggers... I'll let me go for 5 bucks a pop....

By NGC price guides its $2.50 in PF 64.. We're talking about a cash drawer banger thats PF 58 At best.. So the guy probably owes you a dime outa that Quarter you gave him...

I bought 3 1981 proof sets for $8.00 each.. Turns out they were type 2's.. I knew it . the dealer didn't.. I guess I should hunt him down and WTF YOU CRAZY..

THEY WRITE BOOKS ABOUT CHERRYPICKING AND YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PROSTRATE YOURSELF FOR A BANGED UP PROOF NICKEL???

:roflmao:

This is an interesting one and highlights the difference between cherry picking and taking advantage of an ignorant member of the general public.  From my perspective, coin dealers have to be well educated on coins, that's their job and if they don't do it well, they might reconsider their business choice.  That said, no one can be an expert on everything, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.  For someone like me that collects bust halves, it's not hard to find something interesting in a dealer case that they might have overlooked since this is not their area of expertise.  It's not my job to tell them what they have if they don't put forth the effort to do it themselves.  I have both cherry picked and been cherry picked (and I'm not even a dealer!), the last time was when someone I know who is an avid Kennedy collector cherry picked a half from a book of coins I was selling at the local club meeting and then informed me that the coin had a missing FG.  I congratulated him and moved on, since you can't win them all!  But I was also at the local bank a few years ago and they had a 1928 $100 FRN with a number in the Fed seal rather than a letter and they asked me whether it was worth anything.  I told them it might be worth $20 over face, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to pay that.  I told them to call a local dealer and ask and they did and the answer was the same, so they gave it to me for face value.  To me it's always better to be honest in these things than to just try to score, as my integrity is worth far more than whatever I might make in a short-term trade.

I would agree With jtryka on a substantial profit but a drawer banger is the coin to get hysterically judgmental with ...

When I went to the bank and saw 15 Franklins in her coin box and got them a face I didn't say anything but Thanks and thats when silver was $20.00 an ounce...

It's the condescending attitudes and judgements  from people I know who have done the same and justified it that makes me chuckle... 

Interesting thread that speaks volumes about people.  Had OP not posted here and been called out I do not think the lie would have been corrected.  

6 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

HEY WRITE BOOKS ABOUT CHERRYPICKING AND YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PROSTRATE YOURSELF FOR A BANGED UP PROOF NICKEL???

Cherrypicking and lying to someone that asks for your opinion are very different things my friend.  Comments are not about the value of the item, but the method of getting item.  As it is only a low value item.

1 minute ago, scopru said:

Interesting thread that speaks volumes about people.  Had OP not posted here and been called out I do not think the lie would have been corrected.  

Cherrypicking and lying to someone that asks for your opinion are very different things my friend.  Comments are not about the value of the item, but the method of getting item.  As it is only a low value item.

Lie...pffftttt... He said a Nickle with 5 cents worth of actual value was counterfeit...Then gave equivalent exchange... 

your mountain is less than a molehill..

2 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Lie...pffftttt... He said a Nickle with 5 cents worth of actual value was counterfeit...Then gave equivalent exchange... 

your mountain is less than a molehill..

Actually 5 times the value. Lol.