• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should the Mint eliminate portraits and....

32 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Joydeep said:

Replace the portraits with what exactly ?

Some actual beautiful artwork designs would be a nice start.  In fact the mint has done some very nice designs on some of the limited production stuff, some of that on the circulating coinage would be great.  This is not a US mint issue but something along the lines of this would be much better than the current dead presidents covering our coinage today.

Indep.jpg

On 12/1/2020 at 12:10 PM, Zebo said:

I like how the English does portraits of their monarchs. Especially Queen Victoria and Elizabeth II. (Of course that would not work here) Multiple portraits as they age. I also like the idea of having our founding fathers on coins. To a much lesser extent - I like the presidential dollar series as it is a good teaching tool for kids. I do not like the garbage (most) that the mint is producing these days. I do like the classic designs from the past.

Privy marks are fine when they represent something special (significant) - not national doughnut day or the like. 

More comments later 

One of my favorite designs is the flying eagle cent. I also like the Mercury dime, Buffalo nickel, all of the Indian head designs, and the capped bust coins to name a few.

what will the mint produce next??? Scary!

I’m British and like this very complimentary comment about English coins. I collect Morgans and world coins as well as British gold sovereigns and silver coins. Yes, what makes collecting English coins so fascinating are the changing portraits of the monarchs, especially Queen Victoria and Elizabeth II who are the longest reigning. Interestingly, that’s one reason why there aren’t many Morgan collectors in Britain. They complain how the Morgan portrait never changes which is a complete misunderstanding of American coinage.