• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should the Mint eliminate portraits and....

32 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I don't know about all of the other stuff, but I am past ready for them to get rid of the president portraits.

Yeah -- Aren't we all. It was an interesting idea in 1909 (or 1862 for WG) but it has ossified to the point of meaninglessness.

Of course, my opening comment is sarcastic, but the expansion of useless amendments to coin designs is very discouraging.

To do this, we need the support of Congress. Back in 2013, Andy Barr (US House Rep - Kentucky) proposed a bill H.R. 2335 to put Lady Liberty back on circulating coins.

The interesting thing is that with as much desire as there seems to be for this, whenever I bring this up, not a single person mentions this bill, support of it, or writing to their Congressmen and Congresswomen. If not action is taken, no desired result should be expected ;)

Here's the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/2535/text

I wonder when I'll run into someone who has told their representatives to support this bill!

Edited by Zoins

I like how the English does portraits of their monarchs. Especially Queen Victoria and Elizabeth II. (Of course that would not work here) Multiple portraits as they age. I also like the idea of having our founding fathers on coins. To a much lesser extent - I like the presidential dollar series as it is a good teaching tool for kids. I do not like the garbage (most) that the mint is producing these days. I do like the classic designs from the past.

Privy marks are fine when they represent something special (significant) - not national doughnut day or the like. 

More comments later 

One of my favorite designs is the flying eagle cent. I also like the Mercury dime, Buffalo nickel, all of the Indian head designs, and the capped bust coins to name a few.

what will the mint produce next??? Scary!

Edited by Zebo

15 hours ago, Zoins said:

I wonder when I'll run into someone who has told their representatives to support this bill!

They can't tell them to support that bill.  It has been dead since the start of the 115th Congress in 2015.  Unless he has reintroduced it it is no longer under consideration in any form.

I also don't care for the idea of alternating designs, Liberty, President, Liberty, President.  Even though each Liberty would be a different portrait, I would prefer to se the Presidental portraits retired.

15 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

Liberty will likely have to be represented as androgynous and racially nondescript.

I'd recommend a stick figure w/ a torch so long as it doesn't offend anorexic people.

California may prohibit the open depiction of flames so that might be a problem also.

So, the main character in the xkcd comic, then?

How could we have lady liberty if America is a terrible nation built on slavery?     Just kidding.

I would love to see a modern interpretation of liberty, even animals would do better. Maybe we should take Benjamin's idea and put a turkey on our coin.

I gave up on the US Mint many years ago.  I took a look at their website yesterday and it appears to be orientated towards children.  A sign the Mint doesn't miss my business?

6 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I gave up on the US Mint many years ago.  I took a look at their website yesterday and it appears to be orientated towards children.  A sign the Mint doesn't miss my business?

Because the US Mint products tend to be "seed coins" or entry level collector products and many of the people who start collecting coins will want these products. Collectors that are more advanced and more seasoned are more likely to give up on US Mint products and more likely to buy coins from HA, Great Collections, Legend etc. 

5 minutes ago, olympicsos said:

Because the US Mint products tend to be "seed coins" or entry level collector products and many of the people who start collecting coins will want these products. Collectors that are more advanced and more seasoned are more likely to give up on US Mint products and more likely to buy coins from HA, Great Collections, Legend etc. 

I agree with you 100% .  Im a new collector and I like buying from the mint because I can get alot of theyre coins at an affordable price. I can't afford the big high end coins. My kids really enjoy alot of the products they offer and its getting them more interested in collecting. We as a family enjoy the innovation dollars and the history lessons that come with them. 

8 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I took a look at their website yesterday and it appears to be orientated towards children.

Maybe they reacted to everyone always asking "How do we get more young people into collecting?"

1 hour ago, olympicsos said:

I would go with Barber's design on the Half Dollar and Quarter, Mercury Dime, Liberty head nickel and Lincoln cent for circulating coin designs.

Yeah make sure the world knows that we haven't had an original idea for over 100 years.

19 hours ago, Bignubnumismatics said:

Benjamin's idea and put a turkey on our coin.

Now there is an idea worth submitting to the mint.  If they do a Benjamin Franklin obverse why not use a wild turkey reverse/  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Maybe they reacted to everyone always asking "How do we get more young people into collecting?"

Yeah make sure the world knows that we haven't had an original idea for over 100 years.

I am a big believer in the US Mint sticking to the KISS principle when it comes to coins. It would probably serve the US Mint better in the long run. 

Edited by olympicsos

21 minutes ago, zadok said:

...they already did that bout 300 years ago at sommer islands...bit pricey though...but very small collection few coins to buy...

I looked at some of those the other day on the internet. They are mean looking hogs. Big sharp tusk sticking up. Cool looking coins.  

3 hours ago, rocket23 said:

My 2 cents. Bunnies for pennies dogs nickels cats dimes horse quarter and cow for the half. 

Sounds a lot like the coins or Ireland

Or maybe Canada's Centennial coins

Edited by Conder101

Submitted for your approval, as Rod Serling (Twilight Zone) would say...

For one year only, 2026, the country's sestercentennial, re-visiting some of the classic designs of the past: a Flying Eagle or Indian Head cent, a Liberty Head nickel, a Liberty Seated dime, .... a Gobrecht dollar (w/stars) and the Educational Series and the Watermelon for currency. Pondering whether the Mint should eliminate certain designs ought to stimulate discussion about possible suitable replacements or substitutes.  A shot in the arm, now and again, is what this hobby needs. I mean, if the USPS revived, if ever so briefly, the triangular Clipper ship and Inverted Jenny stamps, coinage too can emerge from the doldrums with an exquisite sampling of the country's finest productions...

I have read a lot of passionate opinions on this topic from both sides.  I can say for sure that my favorite series has a former President on it.

It seems that  a lot of pushback used to come in the form of debate over who was worthy of being on the coins. But now I see the men who are on our coins being removed from so many other places (names of schools, statues). 

I can only assume, looking at our current affairs,  that their removal from coins will be expedited.