• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NCS Conservation

12 posts in this topic

After seeing an NGC unpacking video in YouTube from a collector with plenty of nice and old coins, the information I got from it was that if you submit your coins for conservation at NCS before being graded at NGC, it could tilt the balance towards your coin being graded as "Cleaned." He submitted 5 coins for NCS conservation services, and I believe 3 or 4 came back as cleaned. I thought that the whole idea of using all the services under the umbrella of NGC was precisely because it would help, not affect your submissions. What is the truth in that? I ask because I was thinking of having my coins be checked by NCS before being graded in the hopes of getting them as perfect as possible to achieve the highest grade; however, if there is a chance it will result in a "cleaned" grade, then that's a deal killer right there.

In lieu of my previous question, do you recommend using NCS to inspect and conserve if needed brand new Silver Proof coins from Mints? Do you think, or have any experience, in this being beneficial or the opposite? I am considering this because since they are all still not graded, it would be easier and cheaper to do any conservation required now; however, they are brand new. All suggestions and advise will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, bsshog40 said:

You can't unclean a coin. NCS conservation helps environmentally affected coins. 

Hi. I don't think I understand your reply. I understand what NCS does and I didn't ask about reversing a "clean" grade or anything in that regard.

Edited by Coamex

25 minutes ago, Coamex said:

Hi. I don't think I understand your reply. I understand what NCS does and I didn't ask about reversing a "clean" grade or anything in that regard.

You stated that some coins came back cleaned after sending them to NCS. My response meant that I presume NCS considered the coins clean before they attempted to do any conservation. If you send a coin to NCS with environmental issues, they may be able to conserve it. If you send a coin in that has been previously cleaned, they cannot conserve it. NCS will not conserve a coin and then consider it cleaned. "UNLESS", the environmental issues that were conserved by NCS were removed  and found that it has been cleaned after removing the environmental issues. 

6 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

You stated that some coins came back cleaned after sending them to NCS. My response meant that I presume NCS considered the coins clean before they attempted to do any conservation. If you send a coin to NCS with environmental issues, they may be able to conserve it. If you send a coin in that has been previously cleaned, they cannot conserve it. NCS will not conserve a coin and then consider it cleaned. "UNLESS", the environmental issues that were conserved by NCS were removed  and found that it has been cleaned after removing the environmental issues. 

EDIT: I see what you're saying now...but the collector in the video gave the impression that the cleaned grade was a result of their own effort, which worried me. So you're stating for a fact that such a thing is not possible? Is that an opinion or based on fact? Not sure if NGC personnel answer these posts, but would like to get an official response on that...if it is possible for NCS's conservation to cause a cleaned grade on a coin...that is just the answer I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Edited by Coamex

2 hours ago, Coamex said:

After seeing an NGC unpacking video in YouTube from a collector with plenty of nice and old coins, the information I got from it was that if you submit your coins for conservation at NCS before being graded at NGC, it could tilt the balance towards your coin being graded as "Cleaned." He submitted 5 coins for NCS conservation services, and I believe 3 or 4 came back as cleaned. I thought that the whole idea of using all the services under the umbrella of NGC was precisely because it would help, not affect your submissions. What is the truth in that? I ask because I was thinking of having my coins be checked by NCS before being graded in the hopes of getting them as perfect as possible to achieve the highest grade; however, if there is a chance it will result in a "cleaned" grade, then that's a deal killer right there.

In lieu of my previous question, do you recommend using NCS to inspect and conserve if needed brand new Silver Proof coins from Mints? Do you think, or have any experience, in this being beneficial or the opposite? I am considering this because since they are all still not graded, it would be easier and cheaper to do any conservation required now; however, they are brand new. All suggestions and advise will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

If your coins are still brand new and have not been out of the original government packaging then they shouldn't need conservation. Im still a newbie but I've submitted a few newer coins with no problem. Maybe some one with more experience will chime in to help. But if you have never opened the plastic capsule they are in then you should be fine 

I have not seen the video in question, but if the submitter implied that NCS caused the coins to be declared "cleaned," I imagine he/she is mistaken. Bobby likely had it correct: NCS saw that the coins had been previously cleaned, and returned them to them submitter marked as such. If you have doubts or questions, why not post in the "Ask NGC" forum, or send them an email? I am sure they will answer any concerns that you might have.

8 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I have not seen the video in question, but if the submitter implied that NCS caused the coins to be declared "cleaned," I imagine he/she is mistaken. Bobby likely had it correct: NCS saw that the coins had been previously cleaned, and returned them to them submitter marked as such. If you have doubts or questions, why not post in the "Ask NGC" forum, or send them an email? I am sure they will answer any concerns that you might have.

Thank you. I didn't know about that option, so I did post there after another member told me about the Ask NGC forum. Brand new here and so many forums...getting a hold of it all, but slowly. In the video he showed the coins before being sent to NCS and then to NGC for grading. The coins had marks, dirt and what not. All of the coins were conserved, cleaned, whichever term works best...point is when he received them they were much nicer than when sent. After they were conserved, NGC graded them. So NCS did in fact do conservation efforts on the coins before they were graded...so he seemed to suggest it may have played a role in the resulting "Cleaned" grading. He might have been mistaken, but it is a point worth asking, at least if the possibility exists of that happening. Thanks again as I did ask this question in the Ask NGC/NCS forum.

Edited by Coamex

Hello everyone. I am pretty new to collecting. This is actually the first forum i’ve posted on. The reason I am posting is that I think I made a huge find today. But don’t want to get my hopes up yet. I have found at least 10-15 presidential dollars with very weak to no lettering on the edges. Both type a and b. Most are in really good condition. In total I got 85 coins. Mostly presidential and Sacajawea. and five Susan B Anthony 1979 dollars. In very good condition I believe they are wide rims as well. If anyone can give me advice I can put pictures up if I need to. I would love to hear back thank you.

sorry about posting this on a random thread. Still finding my way around the site. 

image.jpg

Edited by Luckyhunter
Bad image

I have used NCS Conservation on three separate occasions.  3 Carson City gold pieces with no problems through submission. 2 were conserved and came back UP 1 grade and 1 came back as 'Not needing Conservation'.   

On 11/29/2020 at 10:40 PM, Coamex said:

I see what you're saying now...but the collector in the video gave the impression that the cleaned grade was a result of their own effort

That is because many people are of the belief that if NCS conserves the coin that it will magically prevent it from labeled as "cleaned".  So if it gets conserved and then labbeled cleaned they tend to think it was the fault of the conservation. But if a coin that has been cleaned, but has other environmental issues is sent to NCS, it will be conserved and that can expose cleaned surfaces that were previously hidden.  Or the cleaned surfaces were already visible but the conservation was needed to prevent future damage from happening.  So it gets treated and labeled cleaned.