• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corrosion
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I have decided to start collecting 3 cent silvers. I really like them a whole lot. Probably one of my favorite coins. I recently purchased my first one and it was in a cheap cardboard flip and it was covered in small shavings from the cardboard board. Well I took it out and blowed them off and noticed 3 or 4 tiny spots of green corrosion in a couple spots of the coin. It is hard to see them but they are at the bottom of the star on the left side of it. I looked at it under a microscope and it is definitely something on there. Kinda looks like it has the texture of mold. Anyways how can I get it off the coin without damaging it before it continues to grow.  Thank you very much for any help. I really like this little coin and I'd like to save it. 

20201123_205037.jpg

Get a soft artist's brush (real sable, not fake) and dust it off. You might give it a bath in acetone. Nice EF-AU 3-cent silvers are inexpensive and oddly compelling - maybe it's their size.

I think the can I have is acetone. Ill make sure tho. If not ill stop by lowes and grab a can. But whenever I soak it how long do I leave it in for. Do I just dip it or soak it a couple hrs. Also when done do I rinse it off with distilled water. 

5 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I'd use Kleen King and a toothbrush and cover it in a fine Corinthian leather.

Im a little bit afraid to go near it with a tooth brush. I did some experimenting on some old junk cents one time and it wasn't pretty. A little bit of brasso and few other harsh chemicals and a toothbrush and it really did some work on em. Lol. 

22 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Im a little bit afraid to go near it with a tooth brush. I did some experimenting on some old junk cents one time and it wasn't pretty. A little bit of brasso and few other harsh chemicals and a toothbrush and it really did some work on em. Lol. 

I just roll them up as sliders in a roll and bring em to the bank. Poor saps who find them.

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Don't listen to modwriter! He has nothing beneficial to say. Everything he adds in a persons thread usually goes against all advice of respected coin collectors. He is a menace to this forum. One reason why I have ignored him. Acetone will not harm the coin. Soak it for a few minutes or soak it for an hour. Use your own judgement. If you see results, then its working. 

I appreciate it. Im gonna give it a try when I get off work this evening. If it doesn't look like its gonna take most of it off I'll try the olive oil trick. Thanks for the advice. 

"Corrosion" v. 1. The act of believing unsubstantiated comments read on the internet. 2. The effect on human brain cells by excess internet belief. 3. (slang) erratic or drugged-like behavior, "Hey bro, you're really corroded, man!"

:)

6 hours ago, Woods020 said:

What roll do you sneak 3 cent silvers in?

I sincerely hope that most of us newbies know you are joking when you give advice. I would hope you would feel pretty bad if someone took if for real advice and ruined a coin they spent their money and time to acquire. Joking is all well and good, and I am by no means an authority on this hobby. However, make sure you qualify your jokes and sarcasm as just that, because those new to the hobby are totally at a loss and see this forum as a source of sage advice. 

I can be serious, but if a newbie doesn't see that I'm joking, they should not be collecting. It's called thinning out the herd.

Mod,

I am not wasting time or energy trying to start an argument. And I partially agree in that anyone who has been on this forum for any amount of time recently, when you weren’t suspended, realizes not to take you seriously.

Here is my rub. Suppose this is a new collector since this is a newbie forum. They post a question that is important to them, even if the more experienced collectors roll their eyes. Everyone has to start somewhere and this is a complex and costly hobby so mistakes are common and costly. So this new collector posts a question to a forum that carries the NGC name which leads them to believe this is a reputable place to get advice. They don’t know you, don’t know enough to know a joke from real advice, and take that at face value. If you want to drive people away from a hobby, let them get burned by what is supposed to be experts. And while I don’t collect for profit, I think everyone on this forum has a vested interest in protecting the hobby. All I’m saying is don’t assume a new collector who asks a questions knows enough to discern joke from reality. Joking is fine just make sure they know that. That is all I’m asking. I’ve been at this for less than a year now, and have asked some very dumb questions I now realize. And I’ve made mistakes that I won’t make again. New collectors have enough pitfalls without being lead astray. 

Edited by Woods020
Typos

4 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Don't listen to modwriter! He has nothing beneficial to say. Everything he adds in a persons thread usually goes against all advice of respected coin collectors. He is a menace to this forum. One reason why I have ignored him. Acetone will not harm the coin. Soak it for a few minutes or soak it for an hour. Use your own judgement. If you see results, then its working. 

Nice job blocking me. What a joke. How can you see my posts? lol You are a joke. I am also a menace to society. NEVER EVER CLEAN A COIN NEWBIES. TPGS WILL CHARGE YOU THE GRADING FEE THEN CHARGE YOU FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE. COIN CLEANING THREADS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED. @DWLange

6 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Mod,

I am not wasting time or energy trying to start an argument. And I partially agree in that anyone who has been on this forum for any amount of time recently, when you weren’t suspended, realizes not to take you seriously.

Here is my rub. Suppose this is a new collector since this is a newbie forum. They post a question that is important to them, even if the more experienced collectors roll their eyes. Everyone has to start somewhere and this is a complex and costly hobby so mistakes are common and costly. So this new collector posts a question to a forum that carries the NGC name which leads them to believe this is a reputable place to get advice. They don’t know you, don’t know enough to know a joke from real advice, and take that at face value. If you want to drive people away from a hobby, let them get burned by what is supposed to be experts. And while I don’t collect for profit, I think everyone on this forum has a vested interest in protecting the hobby. All I’m saying is don’t assume a new collector who asks a questions knows enough to discern joke from reality. Joking is fine just make sure they know that. That is all I’m asking. I’ve been at this for less than a year now, and have asked some very dumb questions I now realize. And I’ve made mistakes that I won’t make again. New collectors have enough pitfalls without being lead astray. 

Should I add "I jes keeding senor" to my posts to make sure newbies know? Your post is kinda long Woodside. I almost dozed off. -zzzzzzzzzz

8 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Should I add "I jes keeding senor" to my posts to make sure newbies know? Your post is kinda long Woodside. I almost dozed off. -zzzzzzzzzz

Here is another long one for you, but this excerpt from Wikipedia is probably worth a read for you. I’m guessing this is your amusement/social life?

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or manipulating a political process.

1 hour ago, Modwriter said:

Nice job blocking me. What a joke. How can you see my posts? lol You are a joke. I am also a menace to society. NEVER EVER CLEAN A COIN NEWBIES. TPGS WILL CHARGE YOU THE GRADING FEE THEN CHARGE YOU FOR THE RETURN POSTAGE. COIN CLEANING THREADS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED. @DWLange

@dena

22 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I think Mod drinks a little. I don’t drink any more, but then again, I might not drink any less, either. 

It doesn't excuse his behavior, sarcasm or wrongful advice given to new collectors! He solicits information that can damage other peoples coins! We don't need this type of misleading information as good advice for people to follow!

Edited by bsshog40

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

It doesn't excuse his behavior, sarcasm or wrongful advice given to new collectors! He solicits information that can damage other peoples coins! We don't need this type of misleading information as good advice for people to follow!

So you see it as intentional? Gotta admit, that hadn’t occurred to me.