• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint coin sets

11 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, 1stsgtges said:

I have a silver uncirculated Bicentennial set the coins look a little matted (cloudy)on the finish. Or is that how it is supposed to look. If not will conservation fix it??? Thanks 

Yes, it might fix it, but toward what end? The service is more expensive than the coins would be worth. 

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, it might fix it, but toward what end? The service is more expensive than the coins would be worth. 

Acitone will clean the haze.. 

Just now, MAULEMALL said:

Acitone will clean the haze.. 

Will it? Depends on what is causing the haze. If it’s the stuff on “brown Ike’s” it won’t. 

9 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Will it? Depends on what is causing the haze. If it’s the stuff on “brown Ike’s” it won’t. 

I had a couple silver bicentennial set that were ugly hazed and I gave them a soak and they cleared right up.. 

I got to where I would give every coin I submitted a soak prior to sending them off..

Can't hurt unless you don't rinse them well with distilled water to keep them from spotting.. I bought Squirt bottles (LPDE) and had one for acetone and one for distilled water..

I'm sure there are cases where it's not effective but it's always worth the effort.

Edited by MAULEMALL

On 11/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, 1stsgtges said:

I have a silver uncirculated Bicentennial set the coins look a little matted (cloudy)on the finish. Or is that how it is supposed to look. If not will conservation fix it??? Thanks 

Welcome to the forum, yes it is very possible that conservation will fix the issue, however the cost to conserve the three coin set will indeed cost more than it will to simply replace the set.  On ebay there are several of these sets selling for between $18 to $22, it will cost you more than that to conserve just one coin.  Its your choice and your set, but financially speaking it will be cheaper to sell the one you have and replace it with a haze free set.

Best to you on your coin journey. 

15 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, yes it is very possible that conservation will fix the issue, however the cost to conserve the three coin set will indeed cost more than it will to simply replace the set.  On ebay there are several of these sets selling for between $18 to $22, it will cost you more than that to conserve just one coin.  Its your choice and your set, but financially speaking it will be cheaper to sell the one you have and replace it with a haze free set.

Best to you on your coin journey. 

+1

On 11/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, VKurtB said:

Just the bicentennial or all mint sets in general?? I have a '61 and a '62 proof set(s)....new 2.10 bucks now 22.00 according to ''the red book''

Yea, I've not had much luck with haze on proof coins. I've used acetone and ez-zest to no avail. It may work better on an uncirculated coins as they have a different finish. 

1 hour ago, bsshog40 said:

Yea, I've not had much luck with haze on proof coins. I've used acetone and ez-zest to no avail. It may work better on an uncirculated coins as they have a different finish. 

One person who should know told me to try “soapy ammonia”, but I don’t even know what that is, really.