• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How, if any, do die clashes factor into grading?

16 posts in this topic

I picked up an 1862 Seated Dime today, and the reason I ended up buying it was it has very prominent die clashing. For me this adds character, and tells a story of how early minting processes have vastly improved over time. However, my question is how does this affect grading? Is it viewed similar to a weak strike, disregarded and considered a normal component of early coinage, etc... 

I am attaching pictures of the reference coin that sparked the question, but they are not the best. There are die clashes on both obverse and reverse, with the obverse having multiple areas covering the majority. 

Seated Dime Obverse.jpg

Seated Dime Reverse.jpg

20 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I picked up an 1862 Seated Dime today, and the reason I ended up buying it was it has very prominent die clashing. For me this adds character, and tells a story of how early minting processes have vastly improved over time. However, my question is how does this affect grading? Is it viewed similar to a weak strike, disregarded and considered a normal component of early coinage, etc... 

I am attaching pictures of the reference coin that sparked the question, but they are not the best. There are die clashes on both obverse and reverse, with the obverse having multiple areas covering the majority. 

Seated Dime Obverse.jpg

Seated Dime Reverse.jpg

Why are they backward?

3 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

The camera I used to snap the pictures inverts the image. 

Wow.

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

Wow.

It a cheap digital camera on my computer. I am sure there is a way to fix that, but my question is really more general. I realize the pictures included aren't sufficient for a grading opinion. I simply added it as an example, albeit a poorly photographed and inverted one. I am more curious how I should think about older coinage where die clashes were common. Is this good, bad, doesn't factor one way or another, etc...

11 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

It a cheap digital camera on my computer. I am sure there is a way to fix that, but my question is really more general. I realize the pictures included aren't sufficient for a grading opinion. I simply added it as an example, albeit a poorly photographed and inverted one. I am more curious how I should think about older coinage where die clashes were common. Is this good, bad, doesn't factor one way or another, etc...

Pretty sure clashes are irrelevant to the grade. BTW, other than the reverse, nice pics.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

The camera I used to snap the pictures inverts the image. 

Hold the camera or computer backwards, or photograph the coin off a mirror reflection.....Clashes are often interesting and do not normally reduce a coin's value.

This might help a little.....

Image1.jpg

Edited by RWB

29 minutes ago, RWB said:

Hold the camera or computer backwards, or photograph the coin off a mirror reflection.....Clashes are often interesting and do not normally reduce a coin's value.

This might help a little.....

Image1.jpg

I believe that the OP’s pictures might have been digitally “flipped off”. Bravo. :golfclap:

The OPs posted photos were mirror images--which is what the CCD actually "sees" before the camera SW corrects it.

Dimes were being struck at 100-120 per minute. It might have been more difficult to see or hear dies meeting without a planchet between them, than for larger coin made at a somewhat slower rate. I'm not sure any of the press operators used magnifiers -- at least I've never seen it mentioned.

1 hour ago, James_OldeTowne said:

That kind of clashing is common for coins of the mid-19th century, and in my experience, seems particularly prominent on smaller denominations.

Thanks James. Everything I have read is reflecting the same. They really showed no mercy on these dies. 

I was mainly curious on if die clashes were viewed positively, negatively, or neutral by the collecting community. It seems it has no bearing on grade or desirability from the answers here. Much appreciated everyone! 

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

I was mainly curious on if die clashes were viewed positively, negatively, or neutral by the collecting community.

Depends on the individual collector as to how desirable clashing is. 

21 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

As far as I know, clashed dies should not affect a coin's grade, with the exception of modern extremely high-grade proof coins.

My thoughts exactly.