• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

45' Mercury black ?carbon? spots
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I plan on getting this 45' regardless of spots for collection due to the decent condition ....but when considering a grade on a piece, or any coin for that matter, in this condition how drastic do the spots affect the outcome ? would this fall in line with being a environmental ?  I looked through some posts but most referenced newer mints and not earlier.
Sorry but best images I can come up with for now.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

1945.Mercury.spots.JPG

1945.Mercury.spots.2.JPG

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those spots are the result of toning from either particulate matter on the coin or tiny holes in the 2x2 window. They're likely removable with conservation, but the dime doesn't appear nice enough overall to justify the cost of that.

25 minutes ago, DWLange said:

Those spots are the result of toning from either particulate matter on the coin or tiny holes in the 2x2 window. They're likely removable with conservation, but the dime doesn't appear nice enough overall to justify the cost of that.

Thanks for the response. 

In regards to decreasing the value of a coin w/spots, regardless of what type, does the presence of them detract from the grading/value of a coin ?  (I understand if if was a rare date or some other specialty type that this would have only minimal affect on grade/value.) Just curious and learning.

TIA

I think the spots would be more likely to reduce the grade if it were a high-end coin, but the lower eye appeal would almost certainly reduce the value.