• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on fakes
2 2

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ronnie stein said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had my son Ben read this thread. He went shopping, came back with a magnifying glass, a Taurus revolver, a loop, Red Book, PayPal account, and he's growing a beard. I guess he's set!

Lol, he didnt pick up an M-60 also? Probably might not be able to fire one yet.

2 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had my son Ben read this thread. He went shopping, came back with a magnifying glass, a Taurus revolver, a loop, Red Book, PayPal account, and he's growing a beard. I guess he's set!

Hes learning from the best. Glad we could help. 

Update on newbie son. He's advancing fast. More intelligent than me by a long shot. (except for chess and trivia pursuit) :)  I gave him 3 fake Morgans to compare to pieces that are advertised for sell/sale on websites. Sure enough, he's not only amazed by the shear amount of counterfeits offered by sellers, but amazed at all of the bidders. He said he felt like screaming 'No, no'!. I told him to go on ahead and scream, in a few weeks he'll be reduced to just gently shaking his head like the rest of us. I then gave him the 'hang in there' speech, don't get dejected, it is what it is, if it's too good to be true, etc etc... In a few months, I'll be asking him questions, sincerely so, because I truly value his opinion. --- Now he and I can work on his three brothers and three sisters and maybe their better halves to enter this interesting numismatic world!

On 11/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ve got a $100 note that says the ANA could never get legal standing. 

Two things... Firstly, I can definitely appreciate the ire of those who were taken by a counterfeit coin but counterfeit trademarked goods such as Gucci handbags, and the like, are actively sought by buyers and the substantial price differential makes it so. This is why we hear the refrain, "Buy from an authorized dealers."  [I was denied a wire transfer to a very well-known, long established coin emporium overseas when the woman asked me a simple question at the behest of Western Union: "Have you met the seller?" Obviously, I had not.  So-called bank wire transfers are generally made to individuals. Maybe, along with errors, varieties, and replicas or copies, we need a category dedicated to counterfeits as a repository for educational purposes.

Secondly, if you have a C-note, that talks!, I am prepared to make you a very attractive offer for it. 😉

19 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Oh wow!  Just love that M-60.  Sure would keep your neighborhood quiet!

I haven't fired the M60 in years. But keep it well oiled and clean. I have only fired my sidearm lately. Busted 3 caps into a bonfire because the neighbors complained about the noise. Didnt hear a peep from them after that. One round did ricochet. lol

Well here it is, 12/08/2020, and my son can spot a fake Morgan a mile away now. He now has fun getting on Ebay and challenging HIS son to see how many fake Morgans for sale he can pick out in 15 minutes. Average is about 15, one a minute. Now if he will quit buying cleaned ones. :) To make him feel better I told him "at least you didn't buy a cleaned counterfeit, like maybe some people do". He asked laughingly, "can there be anything worse than buying a counterfeit AND it being cleaned?"  "Yes sir. Selling a cleaned counterfeit"..

2 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

Well here it is, 12/08/2020, and my son can spot a fake Morgan a mile away now. He now has fun getting on Ebay and challenging HIS son to see how many fake Morgans for sale he can pick out in 15 minutes. Average is about 15, one a minute. Now if he will quit buying cleaned ones. :) To make him feel better I told him "at least you didn't buy a cleaned counterfeit, like maybe some people do". He asked laughingly, "can there be anything worse than buying a counterfeit AND it being cleaned?"  "Yes sir. Selling a cleaned counterfeit"..

Thats awesome he's getting the eye. The first 3 i bought were cleaned. I didn't know any better. They weren't harshly cleaned but I learned what to look for and I can definitely tell now. 

Two take-aways from all this:  it's still alright to be partial to so-called "blast whites" but it has never occurred to me to carry around a magnet.  Copper scrap dealers use them routinely to separate the chaff from the wheat.  Some of the more powerful, portable ones can fit in your back pocket may be had free by simply cannibalizing stereo speakers discarded on the street. Very useful thread.

When this world gets cranked back up again, (no, not meth), :) fill your vehicle up and go to a coin show. You can 'in hand' inspect a potential buy, takes out the shoot of buying on line. I'm talking about ungraded pieces, of course. I've only been to two so far, had a blast at both.   

We were submitting at the same time QA. Yes, a loupe and Magnet and small scales, bottle of water, good to go coin hunting.

Edited by ronnie stein

1 minute ago, ronnie stein said:

When this world gets cranked back up again, (no, not meth), :) fill your vehicle up and go to a coin show. You can 'in hand' inspect a potential buy, takes out the shoot of buying on line. I'm talking about ungraded pieces, of course. I've only been to two so far, had a blast at both.   

I've never been to any. I been wanting to go really bad. I've been rat holeing some money in case I get the chance. Hiding it from my wife. She just don't see the same thing I do in coins. But I can't wait to get the chance to go. Id say they probably have them somewhere here close to me. Lexington or somewhere 

36 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Virginia is a sh1thole..

Drove down Arther Arse Blvd through all the beggers and the homeless sleeping in the Arther Arse center and you would use hydra shocks instead of hollow points..lol

Nashville was one of the worst places I've been. I always thought it was just good ole boys picking guitars. Man alive. They put a fence around our job site and they came that night and stole the fence. Blowed my mind. They had to put a big iron gate up all the way around it. It was a rough place. 

25 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Virginia is a sh1thole..

Drove down Arther Arse Blvd through all the beggers and the homeless sleeping in the Arther Arse center and you would use hydra shocks instead of hollow points..lol

If "Virginia is for Lovers," is the way you've described it, where does that leave me, a lifelong denizen of the Empire State and a resident of El Barrio a/k/a Spanish Harlem, and all that that entails, including but not limited to drug sales and use, urination, drinking, petty thieves selling stolen goods and muggers all conducting their trades openly, publicly and shamelessly.  And let's not forget, I pay for the privilege of living (surviving) here? 😉

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

If "Virginia is for Lovers," is the way you've described it, where does that leave me, a lifelong denizen of the Empire State and a resident of El Barrio a/k/a Spanish Harlem, and all that that entails, including but not limited to drug sales and use, urination, drinking, petty thieves selling stolen goods and muggers all conducting their trades openly, publicly and shamelessly.  And let's not forget, I pay for the privilege of living (surviving) here? 😉

Richmond is just nasty.. It's gone from being a historical destination to a dirty tagged graffiti toilet bowl... 

it's spreading to the surrounding counties now...

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Sounds like my next door neighbors house. 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:23 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Oh wow!  Just love that M-60.  Sure would keep your neighborhood quiet!

I actually have it unloaded ready to go in my safe. I have my single shot scoped rifle next to my back door. Unloaded, ammo next to it. Sidearm is full 20 rd. Mag.that stays on my night stand.

20201109_121531.jpg

11 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I actually have it unloaded ready to go in my safe. I have my single shot scoped rifle next to my back door. Unloaded, ammo next to it. Sidearm is full 20 rd. Mag.that stays on my night stand.

20201109_121531.jpg

There's the Modwriter. I was wondering what happened to you. Sounds like my house. We live out in the woods and we got guns sitting in every corner. Never know what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person is gonna come in on ya. 

4 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I've never been to any. I been wanting to go really bad. I've been rat holeing some money in case I get the chance. Hiding it from my wife. She just don't see the same thing I do in coins. But I can't wait to get the chance to go. Id say they probably have them somewhere here close to me. Lexington or somewhere 

Never have a joint account with your wife. I got home from Thanksgiving and found out my now ex emptied the checking account. Only reason I found it because the bank locked our debit cards and went to see what was going on.

3 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

There's the Modwriter. I was wondering what happened to you. Sounds like my house. We live out in the woods and we got guns sitting in every corner. Never know what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person is gonna come in on ya. 

Hi Hogshead. Ive been on 7 day suspension. I have learned to also carry my securty shield with me and flash it if approached by homeless beggars.

1 hour ago, Modwriter said:

Never have a joint account with your wife. I got home from Thanksgiving and found out my now ex emptied the checking account. Only reason I found it because the bank locked our debit cards and went to see what was going on.

So they had you in time out. Lol. Yea I learned the hard way not to let my old lady know I even have a dollar. She's not bad about trying to take it or nothing. She just doesn't want me spend it on what I want to. 

Just now, Conder101 said:

From what I see on the map you best shots for coin shows would be Columbus, labor day weekend, or Cincinnati End of June or early April the Greater Cincinnati Coin Expo.  About the only shows they have in KY are in Louisville, The state show in October and the is a smaller club (Derby city) that has a spring and a fall show.  There is also a monthly show in KY just south of Cincinnati, 

Thanks for the info Condor. Im gonna try to make it to one in the near future. And also I can be in Portsmouth in about 20 minutes  from where I live. Im on the KY side of the river.