• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a double die error on the date and mint mark?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I tried getting a clear photo for about a half hour and this is the best that I ended up with. Sorry! I'm not really looking to make money off of this coin. For a 1990 it's in pretty bad shape. And even if it is a double die, it's extremely light and hard to see. I'm just trying to get a third opinion because my husband said that while the mint mark has it, he couldn't really see anything on the date.

If you look very closely, you can see the faint outlines of a second date struck to the right and slightly down of the first date (the swirls of the faded 9's curl inside of the other 9's). It's aligned perfectly with the second D mint mark.PXL_20201121_050049577.thumb.jpg.6ae26eb6fd653c35784bc6a2b2f83e05.jpgPXL_20201121_045015171.thumb.jpg.12c2e4cc60238c3f5a9ead5430871304.jpg

Good and bad news. Good news: you aren't just seeing things. The doubling is there. Bad news: it's mechanical doubling, which doesn't obtain a premium. If anything, it would normally lower the value a tad bit, but since the value is $0.01, that puts a floor under it.

In short, a doubled die happens when the die is created. It has a second image and applies to every coin struck with that die. In mechanical doubling, the planchet has moved, which creates the shelfy look you see on the ghosty D mint mark. Were this a doubled die, for one thing we would probably see other doubling besides on the date and mint, but for another the second image would have profile similar to the first, rather than being much shorter.

Just now, Macquel said:

@JKK That's so cool! I didn't know there was more than one type of doubling. Thanks so much for the info! :)

It's as with many things: what looks special at first turns out to be pretty normal. It might be the most common question we get here, and you'd be amazed the lengths people will go to in order to debate with a dozen numismatists of 30+ years as to why they're all wrong. You did it right: clear enough pictures to leave no doubt, clear question, and gaining some learning. Welcome.

6 hours ago, Macquel said:

@JKK That's so cool! I didn't know there was more than one type of doubling. Thanks so much for the info! :)

That is both a) not your fault, and b) distressing to experienced collectors to a degree you can scarcely imagine. “Doubling” has become a buzzword and a fully misunderstood concept, and it’s being done on purpose IMO. Clickbait on stilts.

Edited by VKurtB

13 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[First time I ever heard of this.  Good thing I didn't offer an opinion I am not qualified to give. You learn something new here every day.  Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!]

You welcome newbies here and then you attack further posts by them. You are such a meanie.😎

27 minutes ago, scopru said:

Debate is a kind way of putting it.  Many just flat out get rude.  Always makes me laugh.  Someone asks a question gets multiple of the same answer and wants to argue.  Makes me wonder why they asked if they already "know" what they have.  

In real life I'm an editor, so I recognize the mentality immediately. Some people come to me seeking honesty about their writing. Others are seeking affirmation of the nice things their mom, sisters-in-law, co-workers, and niece said about their writing.

My way of handling it is simple. My "ignore" is my reminder that this person is pointless to engage with. I might still read something they posted, but will remember not to spend any time trying to answer them. Same for people who repeatedly post random nonsensical stuff, make clear they are full of themselves, or otherwise indicate that it'd be a waste of time and energy.