• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 s special proof Eisenhower dollar

75 posts in this topic

Die polishing marks stemming from the R creating a Peg Leg that touches the back of Eisenhower’s head. Peg leg does not refer to the actual shape of the R leg, but actually to die polishing lines coming from the bottom of the seraph creating a leg touching the back of the head. From Lydstrom and Chatham prototype PCGS website.

3A510886-C444-4A37-9099-36527B1EA249.jpeg

Edited by Ratzie33

Nice doubling on the T and N as well as what looks like a recut G the top right curve of the seraph overlapped as well as the middle of the curve, and the point of the first transition at the bottom

C1B6A02A-6BD8-418A-8228-0CE9C5769B1E.png

F06DEB04-C985-46CD-AA09-6716E073BAC3.jpeg

Edited by Ratzie33

Regular proof coin is pictured first for comparison. Look at the foot coming off of the lower left E on the special proof, as compared to a regular proof. It is longer and in general lettering more elegant, almost reminiscent of a changing letter type. Notice the change in color, the ratcheted burring on the seraphs.

Edited by Ratzie33

Special proof 1 pictures first. Look at the 1, it has less of a curved hook nose on the special proof coin, also on the SP it doubles on the bottom of the seraph, displaying the same cross hatch pattern at the bottom of Eisenhower’s neck.

94690422-B5AF-4BC9-9050-B7AF0A74D865.jpeg

B551BD79-5DB9-4604-BAF9-A01B4F6EBC42.png

Edited by Ratzie33

The cross hatching pattern from front to back matches the polishing lines along the edge of the rim of the coin 

432FB114-5942-4052-B3C2-55CD461BA1BB.png

Edited by Ratzie33

The burring matches the neck burring from top to bottom on the I angled to the left then straight across the I, then to the right, moving from top to bottom horizontally across the I. Also notice the doubling on the seraph.

wow Ratzie! You did it this time!!

You found a quintuple struck gold infused hand hammered Eisenhower dollar minted at the Southern Pooh Corner Mint under contract with the San Francisco Mint. There is only one other known in the Christopher Robin Collection of Unknown   Varieties. It was minted with dies cut by Shrek and Son Die Sinkers to the King located in Dulac and silver minted in Mt. Morder.

Absolutely amazing!!

6 minutes ago, Ratzie33 said:

Pray tell young Padua have you read the tabernacle?

Why, yes I have Master Gliocas Gun Aon, I have. It told me a few things. First it says you,Master, should wash your hands once in a while before taking pictures. Second it told me that you should do more reading of actual varieties. Third it says one should know what they are talking about before posting common coins claiming they are extreme rarities that do not even exist. You should add it to your reading list.

8 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

wow Ratzie! You did it this time!!

You found a quintuple struck gold infused hand hammered Eisenhower dollar minted at the Southern Pooh Corner Mint under contract with the San Francisco Mint. There is only one other known in the Christopher Robin Collection of Unknown   Varieties. It was minted with dies cut by Shrek and Son Die Sinkers to the King located in Dulac and silver minted in Mt. Morder.

Absolutely amazing!!

Im gonna have to disagree with you Moxie 15. The gold infused Ike's were minted at the north pole. If you don't believe me ask Santa Clause. Im not sure if that's the gold infused one or not. I need about 6 or 8 more pictures of it to look at to make a determination.