• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Percentage of coins
1 1

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator
5 hours ago, CC Angler said:

For a 10 coin registry e.g., Small cents - if there are 7 coins 70% vs 8 coins 80% - does that qualify for major awards

Hello, CC Angler.

Thank you for your interest. There are a variety of factors taken into consideration by our senior judges when considering a set for a major award. Percentage complete is just one of them. A set that is 70% complete may have a much better set description, more attractive coins, better images, comments, etc., so a bit lower completion does not exclude someone from a major award. https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/awards/

Edit: if you are referring to percentage of PCGS v. NGC coins, then a set needs to be composed of 75% NGC coins to be eligible for a major award. Please click here for details on 2020 awards:

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/awards/

6 hours ago, Ali E. said:

Hello, CC Angler.

Thank you for your interest. There are a variety of factors taken into consideration by our senior judges when considering a set for a major award. Percentage complete is just one of them. A set that is 70% complete may have a much better set description, more attractive coins, better images, comments, etc., so a bit lower completion does not exclude someone from a major award. https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/awards/

It would be very unfortunate if an 80% PCGS set were to win an NGC major registry award, and quite a slap in the face to those few dedicated NGC collectors who's sets are at or above the 75% NGC graded coins level.

Edited by Coinbuf

4 hours ago, Ali E. said:

Hello, CC Angler.

I think what he's asking about is the rule that a set has to be 75% or more NGC coins to be considered, not the overall % complete.

It would be like if he had 10 slots, 9 of which are filled - so 90% overall complete, but only 6 of the 9 coins are certified by NGC - the other three by PCGS. So, while the set is 90% complete (it has to be at least 50% to be considered per rules), it is only 66.6% NGC coins (below the 75% threshold).

Edited by Revenant

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

It would be very pathetic if an 80% PCGS set were to win an NGC major registry award, and quite a slap in the face to those few dedicated NGC collectors.

Yeah, and you have to be careful in how you talk about this or describe it to be understood because there are now two important percentages with requirements - 50% or better overall completion and 75% or better NGC.

What also would be interesting: if a set is only 70% NGC graded - so ineligible on the 75% - but if you took out all the PCGS coins and had only the NGC coins the set would still (hypothetically)  be 50%+ complete overall. Would that set still be ineligible and would that user actually be better served by removing the PCGS coins or parking them in another set temporarily so they can be eligible?

To use my 1932 set as an example, if we had 1 more PCGS coins instead of NGC it would be 6/7 or 85% complete, but only 4/6 or 66.67% NGC graded. But if you then took out the 2 PCGS coins it would still be 4/7 and about 56% complete - so it would still hit the 50%+ requirement without PCGS. At that point, would we be smarter to pull the PCGS coins out if we were hoping for a major award? Its interesting to think about.

Edited by Revenant

...just a few observations n comments, not intended to change anyone's opinions...everyone knows the published rules going in when they decide to participate in the registry n should design their sets accordingly, after all it is an ngc registry so a having 75% requirement shouldn't be a surprise...in a perfect world allowing both ngc n pcgs coins would be ideal n more representative of the most comprehensive sets, but the two registries r in competition n the slabbing of registry coins is money driven, don't for one moment think that the registries were conceived for the sole purpose of giving collectors a free feel-good experience...registries r vanity products n in almost all such vanity endeavors there is a price tag...the real fly in the ointment here is the cross-over issues, again money driven, plus the subliminal attitudes n biases of the tpg accepting each others grading...both barriers to the registry participant to cross-over his/her coins...yes, acceptance of both ngc n pcgs graded coins on an equal footing or more equitable cross-overs would make registry sets more meaningful, but don't hold ur breath...n this doesn't even touch upon the non-allowance of pcgs coins in world registry sets...so much to do n so little time...having rambled on bout these detractions, registry sets still provide beneficial outlets to many collectors, they r what they r...

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, BlakeEik said:

By the way, that ANA registry is going to be available at the "end of 2020" correct? hm

Hello, Blake.

Thanks for your interest. The ANA Registry release date has been pushed off until next year. As soon as we have more information, it will be posted/released in several places. Thank you.

2 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

Agree with @Revenant and @zadok.  The rules are a bit screwy because of the way they evolved. 

Well, you're putting words in my mouth there. I did not actually say the rules were "screwy." I actually like both rules and the rule(s) overall. I was just pointing out what I thought the OP meant vs what Ali responded to and pointing out that the rules do allow for some interesting scenarios to develop for people who want to win awards with US sets that include PCGS coins.

In those scenarios I think the optimal approach would actually to be to exclude / remove PCGS coins until you are at 75% NGC - allowing you to check that box while keeping overall % complete as high as possible with the number of PCGS coins you're allowed.

If you have an NGC and a PCGS coin for a slot there could also be some gaming there if the PCGS coin is higher grade but adding another PCGS coin puts you under the 75% NGC requirement. For those that take an ultra competitive stance (and there are some) it adds some extra layer to thinking on set construction.

The math geek in me just finds it fun to theorize with.

7 hours ago, Ali E. said:

The ANA Registry release date has been pushed off until next year

Thanks for the follow up. I actually never expected it to be ready this year, and that’s not a slight, it just so happens to be an area of expertise of mine. 

15 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

@Revenant screwy is my word. Rules that make one do the things you mentioned to win are, without a doubt, screwy in my opinion. But at least the same rules apply to all, and those that care can do the math to optimize their chances. 

Fortunately I have no proof that anyone is doing what I'm talking about. I'm just talking about what's honestly a low-probability scenario that probably only effects a tiny fraction of US sets.

I like the fact that sets have to be at least 50% complete to be considered because I want to see winning sets that are more than a couple of coins. I like that NGC requires the set to be mostly NGC graded for the NGC Registry Awards while still allowing people to round out sets with the odd PCGS coin - allowing people more freedom to buy coins they like without plastic and cross-overs being make-or-break.

What I'm talking about / the fact that its possible is just an unavoidable side effect of this.

And no one has to play these games I'm talking about, but it would not at all surprise me if at least a few of the 13000+ users here are aware of this and are thinking about it.