• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mayflower Medal/Coins

8 posts in this topic

So after all the fiascos of late with the WWII eagles, WWII medals etc. I decided to try my hand at the new Mayflower coins/medals as I wanted to buy one of the sets with the British 2-pound coin and the silver US medal, since it seemed appropriate with the two countries deeply involved with what happened in 1620.  Well, unlike all the technical issues last time, I waiting and kept clicking refresh as the time ticked to 12:00 and I kept getting the product not available message, just like it appears when I logged on just before noon.  No changes, it's like it never became available for me at all.  I went to just the US medal and apparently bought one of those, but I've never seen it before where it just never becomes available.

And I know that a lot of folks have been frustrated by the Mint and rightfully so, and it appears the US silver medal is still available nearly 15 minutes later, so maybe people just gave up after the 2-coin set wasn't available?

These were available at 8am CST today.  I added them all to my bag at 8am just to see when they got marked as no longer available.  No technical issues involved really.  The site went down once but came back less than a minute later.  The silver 2 medal/coin set was the first to go.  Probably around 15 minutes.  Then, I believe, it was the gold reverse proof followed by the gold 2 coin set.  The last one that sold out was about 50 minutes after start if I'm not mistaken.

I think a lot of speculators jumped on these but I also feel like they're going to be left holding the bag.

The announcement said they were available at noon!  They are still available at the Royal mint site but that will cost you 195 pounds plus shipping.  I really don't think the mint wants customers anymore...

The product you requested a reminder for will be available on November 17 at 12pm ET.

Due to the impact of COVID-19, telephone ordering is not currently available.
400th Anniversary of the Mayflower Voyage Silver Proof Coin and Medal Set
400th Anniversary of the Mayflower Voyage Silver Proof Coin and Medal Set

$150.00

Sounds like somebody mucked up on that reminder email.  I didn't sign up for any specific reminders but the general email blasts they send all indicate 9am ET.  Sorry you missed out on that one.  

image.png.b0450b8cb1b81f41f2044fe4539aa8e0.png

The good news is that there's plenty of availability on eBay and not a lot of demand.  If any of these speculators get scared you may be able to get it at less than issue price closer to Christmas.

Well I just e-mailed to cancel my order for the one medal, maybe I'll try to get the set for under issue price in the secondary market, or maybe I'll just pass entirely...

I think people went crazy with the Privy mark coins and are thinking that all the low mintage products are going to jump in price immediately. The WW2 24-karet commem hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. There are tons for sale at a little over issue price and they are not selling. While I like the Mayflower design a lot more than the usual mint garbage, I suspect that the aftermarket for these will be even softer than the WW2 coin.

When was the last time the mint did something with a foreign mint? The Iceland commem? Those aren't exactly trading at a high value. 

1 minute ago, gmarguli said:

When was the last time the mint did something with a foreign mint? The Iceland commem? Those aren't exactly trading at a high value. 

Didn't they just do a silver eagle/maple leaf thing with RCM?