• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird 1973 Lincoln reverse
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I’m a bit confused on this one. I can see how a few flattened devices on a coin would be considered PMD but the reverse of this Cent is very questionable in my opinion. I would have written this one off as PMD except the fact that this coin’s rim, both obverse and reverse, are still intact with no noticeable signs of “road rash” or considerable PMD. The Memorial itself still has good definition compared to the flattened lettering. As you can see, all of the letters on the reverse are completely and uniformly flattened and are very consistent. There’s no doubt this Cent does have some PMD on other areas but nothing stands out on the reverse letters positioned around the rim.  Please take a look and give your opinion on how this may have occurred. Thanks!

72F69B28-DBDB-4A9B-8D2B-D5FCF1DB01CF.jpeg

8673FD75-1EA0-4C4E-8032-7B2142169C8A.jpeg

We might not ever know exactly what or how it happened but the rim and lettering has definitely been flattened leaving the memorial intact.  On the Obverse there are signs of a bit of flattening also. Perhaps it was used as something such as a temporary spacer or in some sort of other capacity that caused it to be flattened. Whatever caused it, it is PMD as there is no way that happened at the mint.

40 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

We might not ever know exactly what or how it happened but the rim and lettering has definitely been flattened leaving the memorial intact.  On the Obverse there are signs of a bit of flattening also. Perhaps it was used as something such as a temporary spacer or in some sort of other capacity that caused it to be flattened. Whatever caused it, it is PMD as there is no way that happened at the mint.

Hello Greenstang, hope you’ve been well.  Thank you for your reply. I was a bit confused on this one as the letter flattening was so uniform unlike anything I have ever seen. I contemplated on it being a greaser, an over polished die (which actually does show in AMERICA), die deterioration, etc..... but the lack of obvious damage to the rim right next to the letters, along with the Memorial being much more detailed and intact, made me question this coin. Was just wondering if there was any other plausible explanation as to how this happened or if anyone had seen a possible Mint error of this type. Thanks!👍

Was just wondering if there was any other plausible explanation as to how this happened or if anyone had seen a possible Mint error of this type. Thanks!👍

Unless you were there at the time, you might never know exactly what happened. One thing you can be sure of is that it is not an error but PMD. Something like that to happen during the striking of a coin at the mint is impossible.

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Unless you were there at the time, you might never know exactly what happened. One thing you can be sure of is that it is not an error but PMD. Something like that to happen during the striking of a coin at the mint is impossible.

Thanks Greenstang. I now concur my friend. But hey.... it’s still pretty cool looking though.