• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ldhair said:

My apologies to the forum for my drama in this thread. 

I find it hard to not defend good people. 

If I broke any rules, I'm sorry. I'll try to not let it happen again.

No need to apologize or stop voicing your thoughts and opinions.  You did nothing wrong so retract that apology as it is very unnecessary!

10 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yeahhhhhhh, maybe you don’t really want to use Infowars as a source of reliable information. Jus’ sayin’.  Mr. Barnes’ prognostication skills in that video leave much to be desired.

Infowars no different from MSNBC or ...I was going to say CNN but they aren't really any thing resembling news.. 
Alex Jones for all his faults has been right about a lot of stuff.. Check out Rogans podcast with Alex.. They fact check EVERYTHING on the spot and Alex was right every time..

12 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Since the election, my tv has been off. Listening to a classic rock station and my CD collection. It has helped me cleanse my mind of all the political stuff goin on.

I will watch Fox News, because it DOES RATE as the most “down the middle” news source, but no farther starboard than that. 

I've repeatedly signed up for an account and it tells me a moderator must now approve...

I get no system email or moderator email each time, so it seems to me whomever is in charge is just ignoring requests to signup.

It's funny because the sign up is nothing but an email, password, and b-day for recovery I assume.

I've tried simply signing up about 5 times now during the last couple months using my same email each time so obviously nothing is being approved there.

Not that I'm dying to be there, but now I'm curious to see what kind of discussions are happening there...

25 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I will watch Fox News, because it DOES RATE as the most “down the middle” news source, but no farther starboard than that. 

Same here. I listen to AM radio alot to. Just Rush Limbaugh and Hannity and that bout it on the AM. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Same here. I listen to AM radio alot to. Just Rush Limbaugh and Hannity and that bout it on the AM. 

We have a christian rock channel that is actually Really good.. I'm not even a church freak bible thumper but they are the most positive thing out there now...

On 11/16/2020 at 4:51 PM, VKurtB said:

I just might be the biggest critic of CoinTalk you will EVER encounter. It is not a scam. It is a legit site. That said, it is owned by, and moderated by, some of the most active self-gluteal osculatory people you will ever find. It is a clique of personalities. Their moderation is heavy-handed, inconsistent in application, and not subject to appeal or protest. Kiss the rump of management all the time and you’ll be fine. They surely do for one another.

That being said I have one more reason not to bother........I can only take one coin forum in a lifetime anyways.......

2 minutes ago, ldhair said:

I like all the different forums. Always something fun to read and learn.

You don't have to like the members or the mods to enjoy the learning.

All the sites are a great reference and you don't even have to be a member. 

Oh yeah! Anytime I search a car or truck or in the market for a big ticket item, I check out the forums on that specific item....boatload of knowledge.......steered clear out of a lot of headaches too.

I was also banned from CoinTalk and received exactly the same error message. It’s easy to get unnecessarily paranoiac about these things. However, I honestly think we were banned for starting up a second account when we mistakenly thought the registration wasn’t working properly. I’m certainly not going to cast aspersions on the integrity of CoinTalk because of a simple registration error.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:09 PM, ldhair said:

There is more to this story. Did you have more than one user name? Did you get banned and join again under a new user name? What names did you use there? I person has to try really hard to get banned on CT. I can't agree with you without knowing all the facts. Please give us all the information.

With me and another baffled forum member who were similarly banned on CoinTalk I strongly suspect it’s nothing more sinister than the fact that we started a second account when we thought the registration wasn’t working. Our posts and comments are still on the forum.

Edited by S3R3NDIPITY

On 11/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, Kurisu said:

I've repeatedly signed up for an account and it tells me a moderator must now approve...

I get no system email or moderator email each time, so it seems to me whomever is in charge is just ignoring requests to signup.

It's funny because the sign up is nothing but an email, password, and b-day for recovery I assume.

I've tried simply signing up about 5 times now during the last couple months using my same email each time so obviously nothing is being approved there.

Not that I'm dying to be there, but now I'm curious to see what kind of discussions are happening there...

The same thing happened to me which is why, frustrated, I started a second account with my second email but got banned after a few posts. The problem with numismatics is that numismatists are not necessarily experts at sorting out computer glitches.

Edited by S3R3NDIPITY

On my member profile, which I have not visited of late, you will find 3 WARNINGS in "Second Coming of Jesus"-type.  That sits well with me because a professional panel deemed me worthy of it, and the ten-day banishment which accompanied it.  The captcha nonsense responsible members were repeatedly tortured with in seeking to place an order with the U.S. Mint is inexcusable, but my all-time favorite I was at a loss to do anything about is one others may have encountered: "Your e-mail address," -- you know, the one and only one you've had for umpteen years -- "is INVALID."

I have not had any problem at CoinTalk but I suspect my profile at the time of application was clear, I am a Set Registrant and have a 100% rating as a buyer with no complaints from sellers using eBay and PayPal, and what other more confidential data they have access to that (I am not privy to). On the other hand, at last count, I have in the neighborhood of 33 ignorers.  How they have been able to manage fulfillment and enlightenment in their daily lives minus my voice is but another of life's enduring mysteries. I do enjoy hearing from the relative newcomers thouhh and am delighted to know more than a few stopped lurking, and decided to take the plunge and have their voices heard.  To all who've spoken up, a hearty welcome!

There was a problem with e-mail notification at CoinTalk.com.  It may have appeared you were being banned....but it was an error.

If you reach out to the Mods or the Site Administrator, you should get clearance.  If not, just post here or in another thread and ask a CT.com member to provide your e-mail to the Mods there so they can be on the alert to bypass the glitch.  I've helped a few folks here at NGC get things straight at CT.com.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/28/2020 at 7:59 AM, rocket23 said:

one coin forum is enough for the likes of me.....between the Harley ,The Stinger and the Ram I used to own.......oh and then there's Golfer.com.......(relax I just made that one up)

I myself like to frequent the Raumspringa section of www.Amish.com. 

Coin Talk a scam?  I don't believe so but something funny happened on the way to that Forum.  I followed through on my threat to join, and after lurking about intermittently for a month or two -- without uttering a single word, tapped a Like of a comment of a member who ignores me here, and presto!... I became one of the vanished.  It really ought to be illegal for anyone to have that kind of power. 

11 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Coin Talk a scam?  I don't believe so but something funny happened on the way to that Forum.  I followed through on my threat to join, and after lurking about intermittently for a month or two -- without uttering a single word, tapped a Like of a comment of a member who ignores me here, and presto!... I became one of the vanished.  It really ought to be illegal for anyone to have that kind of power. 

I don't think that was intentional on the part of a Mod.....they may have an algorithym or something that says if you don't post within a certain period of joining it was a spam account or bot.  I dunno........

6 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Your life is improved without them.

I'm getting tired of CT members... I've been a member over there for about 5-6 months and all I ever get is harassed by this member by the name of Cpm9ball... He sits there on his butt all day and never positively contributes. Since I've joined I've never once seen him post anything about coins that was helpful. He is always so critical of everybody and he picks on me... A 75 year old man picking on a 16 year old?!?! How pathetic is that? Yes, I admit, I have my slip-ups here and there but he harasses me over and over again... I report him to the mods and they just tell him to calm down! The only reason they don't ban him is because he's a senior member... Straighten up CT mods... grow a pair and do your job, it doesn't matter if they're your best friend! He's is cyber-bullying me and I've had enough of it!

1 hour ago, UrbanDecay4 said:

I'm getting tired of CT members... I've been a member over there for about 5-6 months and all I ever get is harassed by this member by the name of Cpm9ball... He sits there on his butt all day and never positively contributes. Since I've joined I've never once seen him post anything about coins that was helpful. He is always so critical of everybody and he picks on me... A 75 year old man picking on a 16 year old?!?! How pathetic is that? Yes, I admit, I have my slip-ups here and there but he harasses me over and over again... I report him to the mods and they just tell him to calm down! The only reason they don't ban him is because he's a senior member... Straighten up CT mods... grow a pair and do your job, it doesn't matter if they're your best friend! He's is cyber-bullying me and I've had enough of it!

Then ignore him.....and if your posts are worthy of feedback and other comments, I am sure you'll get a bunch of them.  Lots of novices over there just like here. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, UrbanDecay4 said:

That's odd as I have known Chris for a long time. He has always been helpful. He may be just getting a little ornery in is age. Lol 

42 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I see @cpm9ball (Chris) hasn't posted here in 5 years.   I wonder why?

I think his collecting slowed down some. Also it seems there was a point here at NGC where a lot of long time members kind of drifted off or just quit posting as much. He basically just hangs out on CT mostly now. 

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I think his collecting slowed down some. Also it seems there was a point here at NGC where a lot of long time members kind of drifted off or just quit posting as much. He basically just hangs out on CT mostly now. 

I think the format change a few years ago didn't help, but at least now we're getting used to it. xD

3 hours ago, UrbanDecay4 said:

Sorry to say, I have had worse here than at coin talk.  They do ban a little quicker there.  Bottom line, there are going to be jerks everywhere.  I guess people who would be fine face to face get brave hiding behind a keyboard.  Bottom line, ignore as best you can, I know it isn't always easy!

On another note, sometimes letters on a screen don't always get taken the way that an individual is trying to express himself. If you have an attitude, it's always easy to represent someone else's comments as attitude also. Especially in a society today where most people get their feelings hurt too much! Some of us old timers are used to saying things directly to the point, as we grew up with, instead of worrying about someone getting their feelings slashed. Most the times it's not intentional, it's just way we were raised.