• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Vess1 said:

Mods there are a joke.        

Just so we are clear here, I am not a moderator, never will be. My username is derived from modified, as in automobile. But hey, what about those shiny 2020 and 2021 coins showing up in pocket change? 

If you didn't mention specific political personalities and it was just a focus on numbers via economics or finance....I think the punishment was too harsh.  I would contact one of the Mods and say you were making a straight-economic argument regarding your point.

The 2021 Morgan thread will still be there....you can spruce it up when you get back. xD  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you didn't mention specific political personalities and it was just a focus on numbers via economics or finance....I think the punishment was too harsh.  I would contact one of the Mods and say you were making a straight-economic argument regarding your point.

The 2021 Morgan thread will still be there....you can spruce it up when you get back. xD  (thumbsu

Don’t waste your time. There ARE NO MODERATORS over at CT who know the difference between economics and politics, or between their butts and a hole in the ground, for that matter. They define words in their own convenient way to CREATE violations of their rules. You can’t win. They are always “right”.

I have been posting on "Cointalk" for a couple of years, and have found it most enjoyable. It is great to be able to give an honest opinion about Third Party Graders and not get banned for doing so. The site is strong on giving appreciation to those who try to help other collectors. 

I have no idea what the OP poster did to get banned so quickly. There are a couple jerks on the "Cointalk." I have put them on "ignore" and the problem is solved. I don't even know they are there most of the time. 

4 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Wow I really am a newbie 😎!Things to do today. 1. Learn about this thing called Coin Talk 😂. So much to learn 🤓

I would put it way down the priority list. There's nothing special about any particular coin forum. This thread pulsated, quivered, and morphed into bizarro world. I can see where a new collector would assume from the sheer length that it couldn't possibly all be based in irrelevancy, but it is. Go there and see it for yourself if you like, or don't bother if you have anything more productive to do today (which would be most things).

1 hour ago, JKK said:

I would put it way down the priority list. There's nothing special about any particular coin forum. This thread pulsated, quivered, and morphed into bizarro world. I can see where a new collector would assume from the sheer length that it couldn't possibly all be based in irrelevancy, but it is. Go there and see it for yourself if you like, or don't bother if you have anything more productive to do today (which would be most things).

thanks I won’t rush it 

1 hour ago, James Zyskowski said:

thanks I won’t rush it 

If you have a burning desire to see a coin forum run by egomaniacs who believe they can do no wrong and need to answer to no one, go there immediately. Otherwise, you're just fine right here.

7 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

Wow I really am a newbie 😎!Things to do today. 1. Learn about this thing called Coin Talk 😂. So much to learn 🤓

I regularly participate on CT and collectors universe (PCGS) as well as here.  Each has its pluses and minuses.  IMO, you should definitely spend some time on all 3 getting to know the type of information that is being posted.  Also, IMO, you really need to determine if they are providing the information that is helping you to learn about the hobby.

Every site has it's blowhards, and know-it-alls.  You also have people who will only post negative comments about the other sites because they have an axe to grind (you can figure out who, by reading through this thread).  There is no rule that says you can't be an active participant on other sites, so spend some time at all of them. 

I try to avoid saying negative things about other sites.  IMO, we are all capable of figuring out their merits and shortcomings without kibitzing from the peanut gallery

4 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

I regularly participate on CT and collectors universe (PCGS) as well as here.  Each has its pluses and minuses.  IMO, you should definitely spend some time on all 3 getting to know the type of information that is being posted.  Also, IMO, you really need to determine if they are providing the information that is helping you to learn about the hobby.

Every site has it's blowhards, and know-it-alls.  You also have people who will only post negative comments about the other sites because they have an axe to grind (you can figure out who, by reading through this thread).  There is no rule that says you can't be an active participant on other sites, so spend some time at all of them. 

I try to avoid saying negative things about other sites.  IMO, we are all capable of figuring out their merits and shortcomings without kibitzing from the peanut gallery

Thank you  I have always thought that an assortment of thoughts can only help and I agree if you can’t figure out poop from shine-ola keep researching 🤓

Not a scam. But very mysterious! Their TOS are vague, to say the least. I apparently committed a bannable offense, and had no idea i was doing it. I was given one warning my entire year+ that i was posting there. I had over 10,000 "likes", a daily finds thread, that was "featured" for about an hour, till i requested it be unfeatured. Granted, i offer zero knowledge of coins, but i had some cool stuff going on over there!

I'm not exactly sure what i did, because i was banned with no notice, but I'm surmising that, someone spelled my name wrong in a comment. Looked funny, and I'm a chop breaker so i thought, some jokester is going to see that and mess with me, just like i would. So i created another account grabbing that screen name before anyone else could, to mess with me. I was never going to use it! Just protect myself. I'm not a big chat board person. I don't exactly know all the proper etiquette, so if that's some "unwritten rule", oops.

When i went to sign on an hour later, i was banned. Now, i have no idea if this is the cause, as i was never told my offense, but that's the only thing I've ever done. They're tight lipped over there. Doug chimes in when he feels like tickling your fanny with a feather, leaving you with more questions than answers. But hey, it's his site, and he can do with it as he pleases.

I've sent messages to the "contact us" link basically begging for an explanation and to let me back on! Zero communication. Oh well. Was fun while it lasted. Was an amazing experience with some really amazing people. Great site! Great time! I'll miss it. Just figured I'd share my banning experience.

So, what do you guys have to offer? :wink:lol

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 3/31/2022 at 11:50 AM, VKurtB said:

1) Sounds like the same old place. 

2) Creating a second account is going to get you banned 100% of the time at CT.

3) Stay here; it’s better. 

I'll start poking around, thank you. I repeat, i have zero knowledge of coins! I just find cool stuff every day. 

The second account. What if my wife joins? Whatever. My history there was flawless. I have a feeling they wanted me gone for a while now because i have nothing to offer other than my daily finds. I really was a zero contributor, but people had fun!

My wife said, if they're banning you for that, they don't deserve to see your finds. I almost agree. But i made some friends over there over the year, and i lost everything. Contact info, all that, was in my PM folder on the site. Now I'm banned. All gone. That kind of stinks. Oh well. 

Example of a daily find, you say? Sure! Why not! Right @Lem E?

20220331_093135.thumb.jpg.308e4c452c36eabe52a5373a1bab18fe.jpg20220331_093128.thumb.jpg.474e283112e5a54a311138c14b3e8739.jpg

1941S. Small S though. I've found 2 of the large S since i started. I find stuff like this, all the time. I only know about the varieties because of CT. 

On 3/31/2022 at 11:25 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

I'll start poking around, thank you. I repeat, i have zero knowledge of coins! I just find cool stuff every day. 

The second account. What if my wife joins? Whatever. My history there was flawless. I have a feeling they wanted me gone for a while now because i have nothing to offer other than my daily finds. I really was a zero contributor, but people had fun!

My wife said, if they're banning you for that, they don't deserve to see your finds. I almost agree. But i made some friends over there over the year, and i lost everything. Contact info, all that, was in my PM folder on the site. Now I'm banned. All gone. That kind of stinks. Oh well. 

Example of a daily find, you say? Sure! Why not! Right @Lem E?

20220331_093135.thumb.jpg.308e4c452c36eabe52a5373a1bab18fe.jpg20220331_093128.thumb.jpg.474e283112e5a54a311138c14b3e8739.jpg

1941S. Small S though. I've found 2 of the large S since i started. I find stuff like this, all the time. I only know about the varieties because of CT. 

Okay, I don’t know you from Adam, but here’s a little friendly advice. Admitting that you have zero knowledge of coins, PLUS saying that you find stuff daily, is a BAAAAD combination. You either have to be the luckiest SOB on the planet, or you’re posting nothingburgers. That will make you controversial at best, and reviled at worst. Spend less time photographing common coins and more time getting some of that knowledge. Jus’ sayin’.

@Vess1  Sorry to hear you got banned.  I belong to CT but I only read the posts that I'm interested.  I also say it's not a "scam".  Sounds like an OP with hurt feelings.  Well, I'm off to watch General Hospital; have a good day.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, VKurtB said:

Okay, I don’t know you from Adam, but here’s a little friendly advice. Admitting that you have zero knowledge of coins, PLUS saying that you find stuff daily, is a BAAAAD combination. You either have to be the luckiest SOB on the planet, or you’re posting nothingburgers. That will make you controversial at best, and reviled at worst. Spend less time photographing common coins and more time getting some of that knowledge. Jus’ sayin’.

I 100% AM the luckiest SOB on the planet. And i honestly thought a prewar 1941 small S was a decent find! Good to know it's a common coin. Over on CT, they loved them! 

Is this better? A little silver? Found this today, too.

20220331_113014.thumb.jpg.fe386a0fffefc12c9337f609e8f8869c.jpg20220331_113006.thumb.jpg.9e13fe44f8bde8bf262b8701762c623e.jpg

By the way, i still know nothing about coins, other than how to find them. 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:06 PM, Oldhoopster said:

As @VKurtBsaid, opening a second account on CT is an automatic ban.  That was the reason you were bounced.

Where I fault CT on this is that they have all these ironclad rules, as is their right, but nowhere do they explain the rationale for those rules. Some are obvious, but others far less so. They come off as, and I use this phrase carefully, arbitrary and capricious. Which explains pretty much everything Doug does, says, or thinks. Look up that phrase online. It is the very DEFINITION of how Doug operates. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/31/2022 at 12:14 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I 100% AM the luckiest SOB on the planet. And i honestly thought a prewar 1941 small S was a decent find! Good to know it's a common coin. Over on CT, they loved them! 

Is this better? A little silver? Found this today, too.

20220331_113014.thumb.jpg.fe386a0fffefc12c9337f609e8f8869c.jpg20220331_113006.thumb.jpg.9e13fe44f8bde8bf262b8701762c623e.jpg

By the way, i still know nothing about coins, other than how to find them. 

Again, good sir, numismatically, this is yet another nothingburger. A beat up 1963-D dime? To quote the POTUS, “c’mon maaan”.

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/31/2022 at 1:35 PM, VKurtB said:

Again, good sir, numismatically, this is yet another nothingburger. 

They really celebrate banality, over there! So if you found that today, in circulation, that's no big deal? That's amazing. I get an adrenaline rush with every nothingburger i find. I'm glad you're pointing this out. Saves me from starting a daily finds thread over here. I'm not a huge fan of wasting people's time, especially my own! 

Thank you! 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:40 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

They really celebrate banality, over there! So if you found that today, in circulation, that's no big deal? That's amazing. I get an adrenaline rush with every nothingburger i find. I'm glad you're pointing this out. Saves me from starting a daily finds thread over here. I'm not a huge fan of wasting people's time, especially my own! 

Thank you! 

This site, along with a constant steam of newbies, probably has a unique mix of regulars, many of whom are quite expert numismatists, and we beat up on each other quite a bit, too. Numismatists are used to being the smartest guy in any room. Imagine what happens when we hang out together. Don’t get me wrong - ALL are welcome, especially those who desire to grow in the hobby and move beyond circulation finds, which are the hobby’s beginner’s training ground, but only that. If you ever see me promoting banality, you have my permission to go all Will Smith on me. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/31/2022 at 1:27 PM, VKurtB said:

Where I fault CT on this is that they have all these ironclad rules, as is their right, but nowhere do they explain the rationale for those rules. Some are obvious, but others far less so. They come off as, and I use this phrase carefully, arbitrary and capricious. Which explains pretty much everything Doug does, says, or thinks. Look up that phrase online. It is the very DEFINITION of how Doug operates. 

While i agree NOW, my time there was quite amazing, and i owe it all to his site, and the members he allowed there. I have nothing but amazing experiences, other than my unceremonious banning. I won a few contests. Threw a few of my own. I sent out over a dozen W mint mark quarters to random members, just for the heck of it. Being with them was a truly cathartic experience that I'll always cherish. I'm crushed i can't get back over there. I've literally begged. I'm not lying. Anyway. I'm not butting heads with you, sir, i respect your status here. I'm respectful in general. Just chiming in. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:45 PM, VKurtB said:

This site, along with a constant steam of newbies, probably has a unique mix of regulars, many of whom are quite expert numismatists, and we beat up on each other quite a bit, too. Numismatists are used to being the smartest guy in any room. Imagine what happens when we hang out together. Don’t get me wrong - ALL are welcome, especially those who desire to grow in the hobby and move beyond circulation finds, which are the hobby’s beginner’s training ground, but only that. 

I'm the first to admit, I'm not the smartest guy in the room, even with only toddlers present. And I am 100% new to this. Started about a year ago, which is why my finds are still met with such childlike exuberance.

I hope you'll all be patient with me.

*edit

Just saw your Will Smith edit. Hilarious! 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 3/31/2022 at 2:09 PM, VKurtB said:

My patience is not without limit, but it is considerable. All I expect in return is a desire to grow. 024275E4-A58C-4CEF-B2B5-24E459941174.thumb.jpeg.9d6784db928d3e81e2c0902074e7916e.jpeg
You see, I am an unrepentant quality / condition snob. I’ve been at this for 59 years now. 

Thank you, gorgeous. I can see why a busted up circulation find does not quicken your pulse, lol. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Thank you, gorgeous. I can see why a busted up circulation find does not quicken your pulse, lol. 

I do the whole set, too. Not only the silver years. The P and D moderns are all cut from Uncirculated sets.