• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Lukash said:

I don't know who the moderator of CT is or whether that person is good or bad. Really, I never had a chance to learn. I was banned in maybe 15 minutes or less. Now, I've been banned only once in the distant past, and in that case the moderator had the "decency" to inform me why. But this was something new. And for what? I do not know. I made three posts in different threads, nothing to my mind being hostile or questionable. Well, it may be the discussion on washing banknotes. One particular commenter was vociferously opposed to the practice. I took an opposing view, and backed my opinion with evidence and examples (e.g., washing a note alters it no more than someone dirtying it to begin with) and also the testimony of a respected stamp dealer who engages in washing with the blessing of his customers. Perhaps someone can find that thread and, if my post still exists, see if a moderator took offense at such a stance and declared me banned for it. The other posts involved finding lost cash, and also "the smallest currency in the world". I cannot imagine either of those rather lovely posts offending anyone, even someone having a really bad day....

Is your screen name there Lukash?

8 minutes ago, CoinJockey73 said:

Is your screen name there Lukash?

No, Sir!  But I can assure you, having posted your query, the responsible party is having a hearty laugh at my expense, as we speak. 😉

13 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

No, Sir!  But I can assure you, having posted your query, the responsible party is having a hearty laugh at my expense, as we speak. 😉

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 3/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

....Just to give an example of my useless contributions, .... Nothing special.... i really have nothing special to contribute....It's a fun site! Shouldn't be taken so seriously. 

20210320_161506.jpg

Ring a bell?  😉

Lukash, contact the Webmaster or email the site and use that post above to ask what the problem was.  Even if the post was idiotic, I don't think that's a TOS violation that gets you banned.

21 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Lukash, contact the Webmaster or email the site and use that post above to ask what the problem was.  Even if the post was idiotic, I don't think that's a TOS violation that gets you banned.

Violating TOS means you get tossed out! Idiotic posts can and will be used against you. Not that I would know anything about that.

3 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Violating TOS means you get tossed out! Idiotic posts can and will be used against you. Not that I would know anything about that.

And idiotic post would be asking if one could purchase a Saint-Gaudens for 25% below bullion spot.  But that doesn't warrant a suspension or ban.

If I may, gentlemen...

I applied, was accepted expeditiously -- and decided to try a new tack:  sit back quietly, listen and observe, but refrain from making any comments.

My impression of CT is it is a serious site for serious members.  The Q and A there is conducted with surgical precision with zero tolerance for deviation [of the type regularly engaged in by me] which for the most part, I must admit, is tolerated within limits by the moderators here. The big difference -- make that big, BIG AND BOLD -- is here members who play bumper cars inevitably breach an invisible wall or ceiling and are  guided by the application of sanctions which are intended to deter further violations.

Here, a member such as myself, is given chances to recover.  There, the only way to define borders is by breaching them, intentionally or not, with no trial by compurgation, a commutation of sentence, a review, notice, warning, appeal or reprieve.  Is that the actions of certified skeezer, shysters or scammers?  No.  IMHO, it is not. No one would engage in a practice that is self-defeating. Apparently, that approach works for CoinTalk. Any suggestion that self-immolation is or might be productive, makes no sense.  I was banned from CT.  I believe there was a measure of justification in the verdict rendered.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Grammer, re-phrasing,

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Yes that's why Kurt was banned.

[Well, if a grand jury would "indict a ham sandwich" if that's what you wanted them to do, as a former chief judge from New York once observed, I suppose one could sue. But would you prevail? There is a big difference between revoking a privilege and denying someone their rights.  Abuse of discretion? I would be willing to give Kurt, whom I can definitely see as a litigious Type A personality, the benefit of the doubt, but then I am deeply prejudiced -- I like his gritty bluster.

7 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Conder nailed it.  Basically, there are 2 third rails:  politics, and personal attacks. 

And the invisible 3rd third rail: liking the post of someone ignoring you on another site... utterly ridiculous. (I wonder what the appropriate emoji for that is.)

My username on CT is (was) Lukas. I'd repro my 3/25 comment in the paper money section here for your criticism, but CT won't let me even view it. The banishment doesn't offend so much as astonish. Frankly, I hadn't time to get emotionally invested to be offended, considering it was within minutes. But clearly someone there takes banknote washing so personally as to warrant an alterate opinion to be dangerous to the community at large and require swift containment action.

Must be the covid age or something...

Edited by Lukash
fixed date

4 hours ago, Lukash said:

But clearly someone there takes banknote washing so personally as to warrant an alterate opinion to be dangerous to the community at large and require swift containment action.

Must be the covid age or something...

Wow. Banknotes and coins do end up the laundry. Fact of Life. That's harsh.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:50 AM, Conder101 said:

Yes that's why Kurt was banned.

CoinTalk... two things I discovered when I chose to do the unthinkable minutes ago:  1-  I logged in, and discovered Goldfinger1969 was right!  I wasn't banned. My inability to log in there, here at NGC, and yonder at PCGS, and scores of newspapers and archives, had less to do with personal vendettas and everything to do with a primary glitch: getting fed up with the 200 pieces of spam I was receiving, and more precisely disabling cookies which I subsequently learned ranked worse than taking up arms against the United States. I lost my entire identity; I no longer existed.  As a direct result of this debacle, Dena, the Administrator here wrote me using her full name, and I inadvertently discovered 2- VKurtB's full name (and photo as a child) along with dozens of comments inquiring as to whether anyone had seem him while bemoaning the loss of his voice and presence. I also read the opinion granting the Government's injunction against County officials in Berks county (including VKurtB) in its entirety.

Is CoinTalk a scam?  I maintain it is not.  They simply play hardball with anyone they believe has the potential to play fast and loose.  They definitely would not tolerate the likes of someone like me. That's why I keep my mouth shut over there.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Is CoinTalk a scam?  I maintain it is not.  They simply play hardball with anyone they believe has the potential to play fast and loose.  They definitely would not tolerate the likes of someone like me. That's why I keep my mouth shut over there.

I believe anything you say on coins is fair game.  Criticize the coin, not the person is their motto.  However, as you do tend to talk/write in a unique prose xD it may pay to get to the point directly and keep it short-and-sweet, post-wise. :)  Not everybody appreciates your writing style like Yours Truly.(thumbsu

I belong to 2 sites, this one and CT.  I don't post at CU/PCGS.....some interesting threads, but I get the feeling newbies and posts/threads asking questions are not as welcome.  Also, don't see as much interest/posts on the coins I have interest in.  I scan them over there....a classic thread on (Franklin) Gradeflation and one on the 1933 Saints that had Roy Langbord enter, but not that many others that would cause me to sign up.

I find the NGC Forum great for stuff on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, as you can tell from the 34-pages-and-counting thread, thanks largely to all the posters including author RWB.  The Newbie section here seems to have gotten very active (or maybe it always was, and I never noticed) and the US/World/Ancient section has some great threads, too, besides the SG DE thread.

Dena seems very helpful and Dave Lange has some great posts and informative threads he started.  The counterfeit articles/threads posted by NGC Mods are also great.

I was away a while after the big layout switch (I couldn't find anything !) but now find it pretty easy to navigate.  Still think the Search Function could be better....not sure how far back threads/posts go here but would like to be able to bring up any thread title with "Saint Gaudens" or either word...and see all the threads going back 10 or more years on 1 or 2  or 3 pages, tops.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I’m active on CT and IMO, there is a lot less Moderation than PCGS/CU (haven’t been here long enough to have an opinion).  One thing I noticed on CT, however, is you’ll be instantly banned if they discover you open a second user account.  No questions, no appeals, POOF!  This is what may have happened to the people complaining about CT being unfair.

13 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

I’m active on CT and IMO, there is a lot less Moderation than PCGS/CU (haven’t been here long enough to have an opinion).  One thing I noticed on CT, however, is you’ll be instantly banned if they discover you open a second user account.  No questions, no appeals, POOF!  This is what may have happened to the people complaining about CT being unfair.

I am not 100% sure....but if you created a 2nd CT account to avoid a suspension or banning, then they would care.

If you have a CT login at home and a 2nd one at work, I'm not sure they would care about that.  It's if it was to evade a suspension/ban that I would think they care about.

13 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

No questions, no appeals, POOF!  This is what may have happened to the people complaining about CT being unfair.

If you are having a problem with a smartphone or work login 2nd account....and let them know that in advance....I would think they would be OK with that.

If a 2nd account is used to evade/avoid a suspension or banning, then their hardball tactics would kick-in.  Usually, there's no reason for a 2nd account.  But if you have a problem with cookies or something and need it on a smartphone or at work distinct from a home login, that shouldn't be a problem for the mods.

Just be upfront with them and I find them very reasonable.  Same as here at NGC.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Yes, I was banned for threatening to sue CT. Another user had misappropriated my avatar and “edited it”. It was a selfie, to which I own the exclusive copyright, as is this one. I posted a perfectly legal DMCA takedown notice on CT, and they chose to ignore it, so I did what the law calls for - threatened to sue. For that I was banned. They can go to you-know-where for all I care. 

Edited by VKurtB

42 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, I was banned for threatening to sue CT. Another user had misappropriated my avatar and “edited it”. It was a selfie, to which I own the exclusive copyright, as is this one.

Suing is a bit extreme IMO, Kurt.  You couldn't possibly think that would go over well. :)

I don't know what your avatar was but I'm not sure that editing a picture on the internet for non-commercial purposes is a violation of copyright law.  Selfies are not considered exclusive use I would think.

No, I am not a lawyer but I would think common sense would prevail.

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you are having a problem with a smartphone or work login 2nd account....and let them know that in advance....I would think they would be OK with that.

If a 2nd account is used to evade/avoid a suspension or banning, then their hardball tactics would kick-in.  Usually, there's no reason for a 2nd account.  But if you have a problem with cookies or something and need it on a smartphone or at work distinct from a home login, that shouldn't be a problem for the mods.

Just be upfront with them and I find them very reasonable.  Same as here at NGC.

[Disabling cookies killed me. It was suggested I "accept" them for a better viewing experience. I am now inundated virtually overnite with 200+ spams. It's a Wonderful Life!]

13 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Suing is a bit extreme IMO, Kurt.  You couldn't possibly think that would go over well. :)

I don't know what your avatar was but I'm not sure that editing a picture on the internet for non-commercial purposes is a violation of copyright law.  Selfies are not considered exclusive use I would think.

No, I am not a lawyer but I would think common sense would prevail.

People who make images for a living are entitled to keep their images protected, internet or not. Read the DMCA. He who pushes the button owns the copyright. It’s not ambiguous. 

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

People who make images for a living are entitled to keep their images protected, internet or not. Read the DMCA. He who pushes the button owns the copyright. It’s not ambiguous. 

[When I asked a friend why he was fired from his job, I got three different answers. I don't know if VKurtB's response blaming another member for his downfall was due to the other party's stalking him (with straw allies) but when that party voluntarily humiliated himself by stating directly, "I don't like you," I was inclined to accept it.  But now VKurtB inadvertently muddied the waters by saying he wasn't stalked but apparently disqualified by persons unknown, tampering with his avatar. Given a choice between Prof. Edgar Allan Poe and VkurtB's extensive experience in officialdom  as reflected by his resume, I am inclined to accept VKurtB's version of the facts as the gospel truth. And the unsolicited observations made by CoinTalk's members since 2006 back my assertion. I am inclined to give GF's explanation serious consideration.  Regardless, VKurtB's loss of voice and presence was a great loss over there... and an asset here. 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Clarification

Well I may as well throw my hat into this thread as a current CT member vagrant.    It's not a scam.  I've been a member there since 2008.    In general I enjoy the forums there.   But, I just recently got banned for SIX days without warning for posting in the bullion forum.   Another discussion about inflation walked the line of politics and that was it.  No warning.  Just banned for six days.   I think, without naming names, I said the idea that raising corporate income taxes would actually pay for anything we're spending this year was a joke and that it would actually take 20 years with no additional spending to possibly work.   THAT was enough nowadays.   Mods there are a joke.  I will suggest eliminating the bullion forum once I'm back.  Had I been in a room with the moderator that banned me I would have rattled off enough profanity at him to make a sailor blush but I'm sure he went to bed feeling high and mighty.    Funny part was the day I was banned was the day we finally got info about the new Morgans coming out.  Would have loved to chat with some of the folks there about them but not able to until the 19th.    I think I'm going to start looking for another forum as CT treats adults like children who can't handle anything.   What's funnier is what IS allowed.      When I get back I might get permanently banned so lmk what forums I should check out for a new home.