• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Luke Gob said:

Cointalk is not a "scam". Like it's name implies, it is a place to talk about coins. For free. Getting banned probably stung a bit, but this ain't helping. If you're the expert you say you are (NOT mocking, you seem to know your stuff), then take your lumps, screw what the moderator thinks & get back to it; for the sake of science, history & the field. Numismatic fields seem to attract a...certain personality. You have to have noticed that by now. Come on, take one for the "team". Doug Smith is a good guy, you'll get a pardon if you go about it reasonably.

That's what I'm thinking. This guy seems to be exactly what's needed over there, so he must have rubbed some ppl the wrong way, but I've seen no examples of what the OP is accusing the site of doing, since I've been there, a whole 6 weeks. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forums @CoinJockey73 and @Luke Gob

Thank you. Just to give an example of my useless contributions, these are all the 1964 quarters I've found in circulation in the past 13 months. 

I post stuff like this every day, almost 5 days a week. Nothing special. No Morgans, or double eagles, but i do find something, be it a 1941 nickel, a day. 

I'm only interested in coins i can find in circulation, so i really have nothing special to contribute. But ppl come by my thread every day and thumbs up me, or tell me the reverse on that '56 quarter is very rare... stuff like that. It's a fun site! Shouldn't be taken so seriously. 

20210320_161506.jpg

Edited by CoinJockey73

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

You average one silver quarter a month, :applause:and I find one every 5 or 6 years. :frown:

Good hunting!

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you. I see HUGE volumes of circulated coins a day. I've found over 60 silver quarters, 2 are standing liberty. I didn't know those existed till 13 months ago, when i found 1 at work, and looked it up. I almost threw it in with the foreign coins, lol. 

One 1901 nickel

Almost 60 silver dimes, six are winged liberty.

Over 25 silver war nickels. 

I knew very little about coins before i started this job, now I'm hooked. 

On 2/12/2021 at 2:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Isn’t that an old Monty Python bit?

Well, my friend.  It looks like you found my Achilles' heel.  I have been re-running this short clip (which I was previously unacquainted with)  practically every day for the past month. Very entertaining!

59 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Awesome! 

Thanks. Found these too. That's only the second '42 I've found with mint mark. And i have about six '43 steel pennies. Everything I've collected thus far, in my personal collection, has been found in circ. in the past 13 months.

So i post my silly finds every day. It's harmless, and i get to show off my swag! 

20210322_150615.jpg

20210322_150557.jpg

20210322_150647.jpg

20210322_150631.jpg

Edited by CoinJockey73

9 hours ago, Sharann said:

I enjoy his posts. He is one of the few who prompts me to get out my dictionary 🙂

Sarcasm, irony, condescension, gruff writing, obscure references, weird metaphors -- you'll find them ALL here in the NGC Forums. (thumbsu

It can be a bit distracting at times when you are looking for a simple answer to a coin question and you get a few posts back-and-forth that are off-tangent on something you don't even understand.  At least if it was about the NFL or NCAA brackets you'd be able to follow along.

As for me, I keep it simple and straight....the weirdest you'll get from me is Seinfeld references. xD

28 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Sarcasm, irony, condescension, gruff writing, obscure references, weird metaphors -- you'll find them ALL here in the NGC Forums. (thumbsu

It can be a bit distracting at times when you are looking for a simple answer to a coin question and you get a few posts back-and-forth that are off-tangent on something you don't even understand.  At least if it was about the NFL or NCAA brackets you'd be able to follow along.

As for me, I keep it simple and straight....the weirdest you'll get from me is Seinfeld references. xD

Hey, I, too, am a Seinfeld fan.. 😎

On 2/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, UrbanDecay4 said:

No... I have tried to get along with him in the past... all he does is sit there and pick on me... I've already admitted I made my mistakes but his are inexcusable... Any time I post something he finds a way to make a bigger problem than it needs to be... His bullcrap is annoying and if you don't see it, that's your problem... you're defending a cyber-bully and that's not okay

I am going to make my alias, UrbanRenewal37.  😉

35 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Actually, when the Forum was in an uproar a few weeks back and you innocently asked, Who is this Nevada guy, among other things

It was so incidental and irrelevant I'm not even sure it was answered and if it was, I don't recall the answer.  Whatever....

Hey, I'm here to talk coins.........(thumbsu

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Just logged in to CoinTalk, and this is the response I got: "(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It could be a Thread/Post about a coin or other numismatic item for sale.  Only Mods can usually post there.

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Thanks, GF!

You should be able to see and post to regular threads like US COINS without a problem.  I've only seen that warning/disclaimer on certain posts dealing with offers.

I don't know who the moderator of CT is or whether that person is good or bad. Really, I never had a chance to learn. I was banned in maybe 15 minutes or less. Now, I've been banned only once in the distant past, and in that case the moderator had the "decency" to inform me why. But this was something new. And for what? I do not know. I made three posts in different threads, nothing to my mind being hostile or questionable. Well, it may be the discussion on washing banknotes. One particular commenter was vociferously opposed to the practice. I took an opposing view, and backed my opinion with evidence and examples (e.g., washing a note alters it no more than someone dirtying it to begin with) and also the testimony of a respected stamp dealer who engages in washing with the blessing of his customers. Perhaps someone can find that thread and, if my post still exists, see if a moderator took offense at such a stance and declared me banned for it. The other posts involved finding lost cash, and also "the smallest currency in the world". I cannot imagine either of those rather lovely posts offending anyone, even someone having a really bad day....

Edited by Lukash
fix error

2 hours ago, Lukash said:

Well, it may be the discussion on washing banknotes.

Holy cow!  Money Laundering! Oops, there it is!

Seriously, my federal offense was far more felonious. A single keystroke "liking" a post of a member (with considerable clout, evidently) over there, who had given me, and millions of viewers here, formal, official notice that he was henceforth and forevermore "ignoring" me.

In an eye blink, I ceased to exist.  I have to admit it made me feel very important.  😉