• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 'Report Post" functionality...
1 1

71 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I’ve participated here, off and on, since 2002. I don’t recall having seen any heavy handed moderation during any of that time and don’t anticipate any going forward, either. So man up and fear not.😉

I’ve already and REPEATEDLY been targeted by Jason Poe. It’s NOT speculative, Mark.

Edited by VKurtB

And I write in this admittedly aggressive manner as ALSO someone who has worked my butt off, gratis, for zero payment, for the American Numismatic Association at EVERY convention, March and August alike, since the 2012 one in Philadelphia, because it is my way of giving back to a hobby that has been very good to me. I’ve even drafted my new bride into the ANA’s service at conventions. I dragged my son to help too.  I have given more back, more often, in more ways, than nearly anybody I can name. By the 5th day of a summer ANA show, I am in deep deep physical pain from the exertion. Brain injuries are not fun or easy. Mine manifests as cramping, out of control muscle contractions, and physical phantom pain without an organic cause.  Having a brain that once bled profusely is no joke. I’ve given financially too. I have earned some forbearance, I believe. 

Edited by VKurtB

22 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I’ve already and REPEATEDLY been targeted by Jason Poe. It’s NOT speculative, Mark.

Regardless of who reports whom, I’d be very surprised if there is heavy handed moderation. Granted, you and I almost certainly have different views on what that means.

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Regardless of who reports whom, I’d be very surprised if there is heavy handed moderation. Granted, you and I almost certainly have different views on what that means.

Indeed. I have all the cynicism appropriate for someone who has seen Philadelphia politicians operate up close. And I’ve seen a past PA Attorney General and a Philly DA  each hauled off to prison. I’ve earned my cynicism about people in positions of power, too. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. 

Unfortunately, the absolute power often wielded by “reporters” to “moderators” corrupts perhaps most absolutely of all. Frivolous “reporting” should be at LEAST as odious an outcome for the reporter starting it. Abusing the power of reporting needs to be a more serious violation than any other. 

Edited by VKurtB

12 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I don't like you and I have you on ignore (I only saw this post because Mark quoted it.) 

However, I can't recall you explicitly breaking any rules, and I don't recall reporting any of your posts. I've just got you on ignore. 

Report post functions become important, for example, in the recent threads where members were calling people part of the KKK or Nazis. That is clearly across the line, and prompted the intervention of moderators. 

@MarkFeld said "I’ve participated here, off and on, since 2002. I don’t recall having seen any heavy handed moderation during any of that time and don’t anticipate any going forward, either. So man up and fear not.😉"

And then there was 2004 and the War of the Words started ATS by none other than HRH.  Those were 'the good ol' days'.

•  
Edited by Alex in PA.
corrections

14 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

He (or she) who moderates LEAST, moderates BEST.

Some refs can’t resist the urge to insert themselves into outcomes, but the best do everything in their power not to.

I have great fears for where this is headed, and it’s never good. 

Agree.

Stifling a vigorous discussion is not good.  Clear violations are much different (the KKK issue that came up recently) than disagreeing in a strong manner.  So as long as the mods do not hinder passionate discussions, address "reporters" targeting individuals, and do not get suckered into some sensitive sally's victim mentality regarding a disagreement, I think all will be good.   

Now for those not liking disagreement or someone's style of posting there is always the ignore option.  I do think the boards can be very self moderating if everyone puts their grown up hats on. 

15 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I’ve participated here, off and on, since 2002. I don’t recall having seen any heavy handed moderation during any of that time and don’t anticipate any going forward, either. So man up and fear not.😉

5 to 15 years ago, there wasn't much need for moderation.  Withing the last few years, the trolling, rude remarks and overall tone of the forum has drastically changed that.  With that said, the last week has been good.  Ironically, this happened right after dena bumped her thread, reminding people of the rules, and some people stopped posting.  It's  amazing that a few people can change the forum this much.   Thank you, dena.  

3 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I don't like you and I have you on ignore (I only saw this post because Mark quoted it.) 

However, I can't recall you explicitly breaking any rules, and I don't recall reporting any of your posts. I've just got you on ignore. 

Report post functions become important, for example, in the recent threads where members were calling people part of the KKK or Nazis. That is clearly across the line, and prompted the intervention of moderators. 

Fortunately, I missed that entire episode when I was what they used to call “AFK” for many days straight. I’m kinda glad, because I might have been tougher on your antagonist than anyone. Being of German descent myself and from a virulent Anti-Nazi family on one side and Swiss pacifists on the other, the charge is one of the most odious ever made. My uncle died two years ago still with Nazi shrapnel in his body. 

Edited by VKurtB

Being somewhat tough on serial nonsense purveyors like Ratzie33 is actually downright VALUABLE to other forum newbies, because of the rampant misinformation he routinely puts out. He has many brethren in that 

51 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

That's not the way it happened, Professor!  [Somebody get me re-write and let's go to the videotape.]

The full context could be interesting.  However, I doubt that will be forthcoming. 

Bigger picture, those type names being directed at anyone (even if in a joking manner) will typically elicit a reaction and get reported.  Even if the person the comments were directed at is not really all that offended.  Easy ammo for someone to use against the person posting those type comments.  So better safe than sorry just don't use those words if directing them at someone.

Edited by scopru

On 11 November 2020  @comicdonna said:

2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

5 to 15 years ago, there wasn't much need for moderation. 

On 26 March 2004 ******* said: 

"We don't need this over here. Quit making these forums a bad place to be.  If you have nothing good to offer, don't come."

On 26 March 2004 **** replied:

"I see, so you are going to make accusations without proof. I went through this with you over there. You love the controversy and the us vs. them thing. I'm not going to play with you over here. Back up your statements or don't make them."

On 26 March 2004 ******* said:

"NGC has warned you a number of times about your baiting techniques *******. You don't have veto power around here and your bossy little attitude is not appreciated. You've turned the forums across the street into a bad place and seem interested in expanding your influence. Walk across the street and continue your game-playing over there."

And on and on it went.  Who needs a Moderator when there is such love between members.  :devil:

2 hours ago, scopru said:

The full context could be interesting.  However, I doubt that will be forthcoming. 

Fair enough. So Ashkenazi [Jew] is okay, but the colloquial contraction, 'nazi, is not -- and the variety minus the apostrophe absolutely unforgiveable.   My personal favorite was the comment made during the eight-year Iran-Iraq war that the Sunni and Shi'ite muslims were praying to the same God (Allah) to win. So much for religion.  Guess I'll quit while I'm ahead.

6 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Fair enough. So Ashkenazi [Jew] is okay, but the colloquial contraction, 'nazi, is not -- and the variety minus the apostrophe absolutely unforgiveable.   My personal favorite was the comment made during the eight-year Iran-Iraq war that the Sunni and Shi'ite muslims were praying to the same God (Allah) to win. So much for religion.  Guess I'll quit while I'm ahead.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, and I didn't go in-depth on the offending posts, but it just seems to me we should DISAGREE CIVILLY and not make anything personal.

I know some people have writing styles that sometimes include what are or could be considered "personal" attacks.  They may not mean anything by it but others may find it offensive.  The NY Post basketball writer Peter Vecsey was notorious for his personal tweeks and nicknames designed to make fun of various individuals.  I thought it was hillarious -- probably most readers did too (hence his popularity) -- but I suspect if you were on the receiving end of his barbs you thought differently.

On 11/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Trust me, there is a legitimate use for it without being the thought police. Some posts are clearly out of bounds. 

Reported for excessive sucking up..:roflmao:

On 11/12/2020 at 7:50 AM, scopru said:

Agree.

Stifling a vigorous discussion is not good.  Clear violations are much different (the KKK issue that came up recently) than disagreeing in a strong manner.  So as long as the mods do not hinder passionate discussions, address "reporters" targeting individuals, and do not get suckered into some sensitive sally's victim mentality regarding a disagreement, I think all will be good.   

Now for those not liking disagreement or someone's style of posting there is always the ignore option.  I do think the boards can be very self moderating if everyone puts their grown up hats on. 

:roflmao:

2 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

:roflmao:

I can take a hint...  The grown-up hat is [back] on.  (I don't think I can take getting sent to bed, nite after nite, without my supper, again.)  😉

I one time used the phrase “armpit licking obsequiousness” in a post. Insider incredulously asked if I really talk that way. Yes, nearly every day, at every opportunity. I most certainly do. Biting vocabulary is my career.

And not only have SEEN tens of thousands of coins, I literally OWN RIGHT NOW tens of thousands of coins and have been collecting for 57 years, since I was 8. Having an unusual vocabulary and being a numismatist are not mutually exclusive. Nor will I ever apologize for displaying either one.

i can even read a George Will piece without a dictionary. :devil:

Edited by VKurtB

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Biting vocabulary is my career.

Nothing at all wrong with this.  Sarcasm and stinging can add a great deal of flavor to a conversation and should not be stopped. This is nothing unusual and should be expected on a public forum or in life in general.  A poster "usually" knows when a comment is going to cross a line though rather just skirt the gray areas.

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

“armpit licking obsequiousness”

Now that is just funny. lol

Edited by scopru

Even in the early days of this site, I can't remember any heavy moderation here. The mods only get involved when things get really nasty or someone clearly breaks the rules. I'm sure that is not going to change. Our own actions are the only thing that would create such a change. Lets all be sure to not make the mods have to break up fights and that we keep things friendly. 

14 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I can take a hint...  The grown-up hat is [back] on.  (I don't think I can take getting sent to bed, nite after nite, without my supper, again.)  😉

Pfffttt... Theres gotta be someone willing to take it for the team bru... You think the clique has enough backbone ... :roflmao:

3 hours ago, ldhair said:

Even in the early days of this site, I can't remember any heavy moderation here. The mods only get involved when things get really nasty or someone clearly breaks the rules. I'm sure that is not going to change. Our own actions are the only thing that would create such a change. Lets all be sure to not make the mods have to break up fights and that we keep things friendly. 

back when Blue Indians were all the Rage and the selective outrage and slander was par for the course...:roflmao:

I have seldom used the Report Post feature, and usually only when a spammer manages to slip in and starts sending the same spam posts on several different forums.  I just report the posings and never reply to the threads because that just moves them back up to the top when more  people see them.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, Moxie15 said:

why use it at all? Unless, of course, one has a desire to become a member of the thought police. 

I don't know, there have been people periodically spamming some of my journals with advertisements of miracle cures for erectile disfunction... I'd bee happy to see those deleted and those accounts banned.

58 minutes ago, Revenant said:

there have been people periodically spamming some of my journals with advertisements of miracle cures for erectile disfunction.

Question: Don't ads reflect your search history? Or is a member actually posting this into your journal?

8 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Did you happen to keep the number?

Asking for a friend  :whistle:

Tell your "friend" to go read Revenants Journal :roflmao: (which by the way are enjoyable to read also)

Edited by scopru

16 minutes ago, scopru said:

Question: Don't ads reflect your search history? Or is a member actually posting this into your journal?

They were actual posts / comments on the journal by a "user" that was probably just a bot posting copy/paste spam.

Edited to add: The wife has no complaints ;) 

Edited by Revenant