• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 'Report Post" functionality...
1 1

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Trust me, there is a legitimate use for it without being the thought police. Some posts are clearly out of bounds. 

I have yet to see one, But I have seen a poster or two that sees them all over the place.

Re: the "Report Post" function...

Whether I'm right, or whether I'm wrong

Whether I find a place in this world or never belong I gotta be me, I gotta be me.  What else can I be but what I am

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be.  I can't be right for somebody else. If I'm not right for me

I gotta be free, I just gotta be free.  Daring to try, to do it or die

I GOTTA BE ME-E-E!

-courtesy Sammy Davis, Jr.

10 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I guess it depends upon whether you believe that some posts clearly violate NGC’s posted guidelines and merit a report. And whether you’re open to the possibility that not everyone who sees things differently from you is on the thought-police force. After all, posting isn’t necessarily the same thing as (merely) thinking.

Well, first I believe nothing. 

Second, I have never seen a post that was "CLEARLY OUT OF BOUNDS" as was stated

Third I have noticed that some who post here have appointed themselves as watchers who look to report others for anything they see as transgressions. 

Last, I do not know of any time when I have implied in any way that I think those who think differently than me are thought police. Please send a PM informing me of when you noticed such actions.

I suppose from NGC perspective the rules are black and white - from forum members (as well as admins) the rules could be highly subjective in my opinion since it is humans making the final decision.  But that being said, report away as it has to be reviewed before being removed or further action take. 

I would also say to the admins @dena- a member that reports regularly and frequently others posts (whether it be posts from various members or more specifically posts of the same member) may need looked at and action taken just as the person whose posts are being reports.   This will help prevent a targeted campaign from occurring via the reporting tool.

Edited by scopru
typo

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

Well, first I believe nothing. 

Second, I have never seen a post that was "CLEARLY OUT OF BOUNDS" as was stated

Third I have noticed that some who post here have appointed themselves as watchers who look to report others for anything they see as transgressions. 

Last, I do not know of any time when I have implied in any way that I think those who think differently than me are thought police. Please send a PM informing me of when you noticed such actions.

First, you said that you “believe nothing“. I’m unaware of anyone on the planet who believes nothing. And in posting “why use it at all? Unless, of course, one has a desire to become a member of the thought police”, you gave me and at least one other person the impression that you believe that using the report function indicates that the person doing so has the desire you mentioned.

Second, at the bottom of this post, I have copied what Dena wrote. if, based on that, you have haven’t seen posts that were “clearly out of bounds“, then either you and I don’t tend to read very many of the same threads or we see things very differently. 

Third, what you describe as having “noticed” looks to me like what you “believe”.

Last, my belief about what you implied was addressed in “First” above.

It seems that some need a reminder of the guidelines accepted when creating an account here. Recently there has been an uptick in the number of unacceptable posts. As a result, there will be greater scrutiny of the material posted here.

In summary, the following will not be tolerated:

Political posts

Mud Slinging

Trolling

Baiting

Masking

Inappropriate references (analogies, etc.) to significantly emotional topics such as Nazis, slavery, etc.

Threads started explicitly to bash other members

Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic

Disrespect

The disrespect exhibited in recent posts is overshadowing all the positive and valuable content being posted here and is creating a climate of hostility. It is particularly disappointing to see the way in which new members and collectors are being treated. Using words like ignorant and stupid is not the way to educate and welcome the well intentioned folks making an effort to embrace this community.

It stops now.

Edited by MarkFeld

15 minutes ago, ldhair said:

We have members that don't understand the rules and need to be reported. 

I agree.  I still say some of those of the rules are not as black and white as they appear on paper.

And from what I have seen in my short time here on the forums, we also have members with seemingly personal issues with others and will in my opinion try to use the report feature to bring unnecessary trouble to those they do not like.  

@MarkFeld I will not discus the understanding of the concept of 'to believe' further here as it is not the place.

I will firmly state that I have not seen a post that I thought was so far out of bounds that it needed to be reported.

Perhaps my use of the term 'thought police' was incorrect, I may have chosen another term if I had thought about it more.

oh yeah, as to the comment concerning those who see things differently than I do, I look for such people as it leads to much more interesting conversations. As Tom Hulce said in Amadeus, "Who would you rather talk to, Hercules or his hair dresser?" 

21 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

@MarkFeld I will not discus the understanding of the concept of 'to believe' further here as it is not the place.

I will firmly state that I have not seen a post that I thought was so far out of bounds that it needed to be reported.

Perhaps my use of the term 'thought police' was incorrect, I may have chosen another term if I had thought about it more.

oh yeah, as to the comment concerning those who see things differently than I do, I look for such people as it leads to much more interesting conversations. As Tom Hulce said in Amadeus, "Who would you rather talk to, Hercules or his hair dresser?" 

Agreed, about more interesting conversations with those who see things differently. As a matter of fact, while you and I have recently disagreed on more than one subject, I enjoy reading your posts and find them to be interesting.

As to Tom Hulce and Amadeus, I’d rather BE Hercules and talk to my hair dresser.😉

Edited by MarkFeld

26 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

I have not seen any offensive or outrageous posts either but then I'm from New York City:  nothing phases me.  I have seen and heard it all. Regarding Moderation, I prefer the appellation used in Afghanistan: the Committee for the Prevention of Vice and the Promotion of Virtue.  And, if "thought" police be deemed insufficient, I would prefer something along the lines of Iraq's "secret" police: the Mukhabarat.  

The Forum is like one big playground with lots of toys and playmates. And with a new year coming we'll all get a chance to re-invent ourselves. Who can ask for anything more?

We can have strong disagreements about coins or other things....just keep it civil.

And don't make attacks personal or go way off on off-topic tangents (though sometimes they are relevant to the OP/thread).

For instance...I started a thread on Roger's Saint-Gaudens book....but at times, we discuss specific Saint coins and not the book itself.  I have no problem with that.  Even if we segued into a Saints and Morgan comparision, a few posts on Morgans is not going to offend me in a thread originally meant to discuss a Saints book.

Okay, in this context, the word is “fazes me”, not “phases me”, but I digress. I believe heavy handed moderation to be a pure evil, and I’ll tell you why. When Person A offers an opinion that might be counter to the pecuniary interests of Person B, Person A will IMMEDIATELY become a targeted individual BY Person B and his cronies. This is what happens on a DAILY basis over at CoinTalk. Worse yet, when someone offers an opinion that may negatively affect the bottom line at NGC, perhaps Dena herself will become “the assassin” personally. Slippery slope, NGC, slippery slope. But sooooo 2020, am I right?

He (or she) who moderates LEAST, moderates BEST.

Some refs can’t resist the urge to insert themselves into outcomes, but the best do everything in their power not to.

I have great fears for where this is headed, and it’s never good. 

Edited by VKurtB

9 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Okay, in this context, the word is “fazes me”, not “phases me”, but I digress. I believe heavy handed moderation to be a pure evil, and I’ll tell you why. When Person A offers an opinion that might be counter to the pecuniary interests of Person B, Person A will IMMEDIATELY become a targeted individual BY Person B and his cronies. This is what happens on a DAILY basis over at CoinTalk. Worse yet, when someone offers an opinion that may negatively affect the bottom line at NGC, perhaps Dena herself will become “the assassin” personally. Slippery slope, NGC, slippery slope. But sooooo 2020, am I right?

"you can have a car in any color you want, as long as it's black," to paraphrase Henry Ford... I just don't understand what's wrong with simply blocking the ppl who say clearly wrong stuff, and leaving it at that... then again, who said spite was a bad thing?:devil:

5 minutes ago, 1917 said:

"you can have a car in any color you want, as long as it's black," to paraphrase Henry Ford... I just don't understand what's wrong with simply blocking the ppl who say clearly wrong stuff, and leaving it at that... then again, who said spite was a bad thing?:devil:

Spite is ALWAYS a pure evil, no exceptions. But it is the stock in trade of the moderators over at CoinTalk and their favored cronies. Both of which are members already here. Some of them pushing for harder moderation here. It’s a baaaaaaad thing.

They seem to have already chased away @Insider. I often disagree with Skip, but I do want to read his stuff, even his worst stuff.

Edited by VKurtB

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Spite is ALWAYS a pure evil, no exceptions. But it is the stock in trade of the moderators over at CoinTalk and their favored cronies. Both of which are members already here. Some of them pushing for harder moderation here. It’s a baaaaaaad thing.

uggh morals....:rulez:

1 minute ago, 1917 said:

uggh morals....:rulez:

I have absolutely NO use whatever for those who adopt the attitude of that emoji. Only my utter condemnation. 

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

I have absolutely NO use whatever for those who adopt the attitude of that emoji. Only my utter condemnation. 

I was using it sarcastically.... sorry, it's my first language....;)

8 minutes ago, 1917 said:

I was using it sarcastically.... sorry, it's my first language....;)

Sarcasm your first language? My brother!!! Where have you been?!?! So much of numismatics so richly deserves all the sarcasm that can possibly be thrown at it. Especially anything seen on YouRube.

And I write that as a numismatist who has recently moved his holdings across seven state lines, and it weighs WELL over a ton, and consists of a high 5-figure number of pieces. But only a low 3-figure number of third party GRADED pieces. Many pieces have been in my possession since the mid-1960’s.

Edited by VKurtB

I understand why passions can get hot especially when $$$ are involved in grading, cracking-out, etc.

Still, everybody benefits from rigorous debate.  If every post could have been made by you....if there are no disagreements....how can you learn ?  Why come here ?

Look, here’s my bottom line. I had to put up with cantankerous old bas****s my whole life long, including my own family. I nearly died from a cerebral hemorrhage at 54, and I’m still here at 65 and about to retire. I even had an MRI just yesterday for diagnosing lingering effects from the CH 11 years ago. I have EARNED the right to “spew” even my most controversial opinions, and frankly I don’t even want to live anymore if today’s culture wants to censor me and my sometimes controversial views. That’s not how this country is supposed to be, dammit. And I’ll fight like a wounded animal to keep this country, and this site frankly, the way it has been historically. The “snowflakes” be damned, frankly.

Edited by VKurtB

45 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

He (or she) who moderates LEAST, moderates BEST.

Some refs can’t resist the urge to insert themselves into outcomes, but the best do everything in their power not to.

I have great fears for where this is headed, and it’s never good. 

I’ve participated here, off and on, since 2002. I don’t recall having seen any heavy handed moderation during any of that time and don’t anticipate any going forward, either. So man up and fear not.😉