• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learn Grading: Pedigrees

17 posts in this topic

For me, there are perhaps a handful of "important" pedigrees - and even those aren't all THAT important.  Otherwise, I couldn't care less about what bank hoard, or pop top collection, or sports figure, or gangster previously owned MY coin.

Newman?  yes.  Norweb?  yes.  Pittman?  definitely.  Eliasberg?  maybe.  Bill Smith???  No thanks.

1 hour ago, James_OldeTowne said:

For me, there are perhaps a handful of "important" pedigrees - and even those aren't all THAT important.  Otherwise, I couldn't care less about what bank hoard, or pop top collection, or sports figure, or gangster previously owned MY coin.

Newman?  yes.  Norweb?  yes.  Pittman?  definitely.  Eliasberg?  maybe.  Bill Smith???  No thanks.

Yikes! To me at least, Eliasberg beats ALL the others. 

Others will rank the provenance differently than I would, but Newman stands head and shoulders above the rest for his astonishing contributions to the hobby. What did Eliasberg really contribute to the hobby we know today?  He got an example of every coin and then was done.  Newman contributed to my enjoyment across a lifetime.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:57 PM, gmarguli said:

Isn't it Provenance? 

Yes.  "Provenance" is the correct term: a list of previous owners.

"Pedigree" refers to reproductive lineage. Few coins reproduce....except in China and a village in Colorado.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, Conder101 said:

But with the penchant of the TPG's to put just anyone's name on a label the "important information" may also just be garbage.

There is a fee for adding a name to the printed insert. Got the bucks? Get you name on a label.

4 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

Others will rank the provenance differently than I would, but Newman stands head and shoulders above the rest for his astonishing contributions to the hobby. What did Eliasberg really contribute to the hobby we know today?  He got an example of every coin and then was done.  Newman contributed to my enjoyment across a lifetime.

I'd have thought that Norweb would have been your provenance of choice given the impact it has had on you. :baiting:

1 hour ago, RWB said:

There is a fee for adding a name to the printed insert. Got the bucks? Get you name on a label.

There is also a second fee for it. Twice in the last 3 months I have decided against bidding on a coin because they both had a useless provenance. One sold for ~$600 and I'd have paid ~$850. The other was a cheaper coin and I don't remember the numbers, but it sold for around $100 less than I would have been willing to pay. I'm tired of having to reholder coins because someone thought they deserved to have their useless collection name that nobody knows on the insert. 

21 hours ago, gmarguli said:

One sold for ~$600 and I'd have paid ~$850. The other was a cheaper coin and I don't remember the numbers, but it sold for around $100 less than I would have been willing to pay.

So are you still looking for those coins or did you end up paying more and getting what you wanted minus the collection name on the label? 

Honest questions here: What is your personal issue is with some random collection name on a label when it comes to a coin you want at a decent price.  Do you think a random name on a label lessons the value of the coin that is encapsulated? 

They were just cool coins that I'd have bought, not core collection coins. If core collection, I'd have bought them and had the names removed from the inserts. 

Why would I want someone else's name on something that I own? The coin may have had 20 owners over the past 100 years, so why should one of them be immortalized on the insert? 99% of the people/collection names on the inserts I've never heard of and I seriously doubt others have heard of them either. On top of that, a name on an insert should be a real achievement, not something easy to obtain. If I can go on eBay and put together the set in a day, that set should not qualify for provenance status. 

On 11/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, gmarguli said:

I'd have thought that Norweb would have been your provenance of choice given the impact it has had on you. :baiting:

There is also a second fee for it. Twice in the last 3 months I have decided against bidding on a coin because they both had a useless provenance. One sold for ~$600 and I'd have paid ~$850. The other was a cheaper coin and I don't remember the numbers, but it sold for around $100 less than I would have been willing to pay. I'm tired of having to reholder coins because someone thought they deserved to have their useless collection name that nobody knows on the insert. 

Heck, Greg, the coolest provenance might have been YOURS. "This piece, from the famous gmarguli collection, is a stunner for the serious collector of important gmarguli pieces..."

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Heck, Greg, the coolest provenance might have been YOURS. "This piece, from the famous gmarguli collection, is a stunner for the serious collector of important gmarguli pieces..."

Feuchtwanger had the right idea.  He put his name right on the coin.  "It's not just an old penny. It's a FEUCHTWANGER!" 

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

When I get the provenance added to my collection, I'm going to call it the Moronic Provenance Collection. That way all the inserts can say Moronic Provenance on them. :cloud9:

4 hours ago, gmarguli said:

When I get the provenance added to my collection, I'm going to call it the Moronic Provenance Collection. That way all the inserts can say Moronic Provenance on them. :cloud9:

I thought that was some golf course in Florida....?

11 hours ago, gmarguli said:

:roflmao:Now this would likely be a very sought after label.  

15 hours ago, gmarguli said:

Why would I want someone else's name on something that I own?

That is one way to look at it.  I personally don't care on way or the other.  The item inside the slab is where my focus lies - the rest is just window dressing that can be changed easily enough.  As you also point out - you can resubmit and have it removed.