• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976-D Lincoln Cent planchette error?

12 posts in this topic

Hi

Still running into new things daily.Can anyone help me with what I have?

It looks like my penny ate someone lsses...

Added:  This coin weights 3.00 grams.

MULE1.jpg

MULE2.jpg

MULE3.jpg

MULE4.jpg

ULE5.jpg

Edited by Kevine84

it appears that the center of the coin is raised above the rest of the field, right? I've seen the reverse of this before (parts of the field near the rim are raised), but I don't remember if it was a striking issue or pmd...

What I am trying to do is show that the coin looks like it was struck on anther coin

It is not raised near the rim, rather it rises up which the last 2 original pixs show

There is a circular mass raised below the penny

attached more pix

The final one is very telling on how the copper seems stretched - it undulates and the steps are warped in the middle of the coin

p1979d2.jpeg

p1979o2.jpeg

p1979r1.jpeg

There are lots (and lots and lots) of cents with concave obverses and convex reverses throughout the 1970’s and even into the early years of Zincolns. I own many many of them. Some years got pretty ridiculous. 1984 comes to mind. 

1 minute ago, Kevine84 said:

Thanks 

The centers are both convex though it appears to me.  I'm gonna spend the grading fee.  Figure my YFI coins upside can pay for that this month:)  I'll post results when they return...

Right on Kevin!

The warping of the base of the steps is from incomplete filling of the design.  That is also what is causing the weakness in the rook above columns 4, 5, & 6. I can't say about anything else.