• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching SN#s

48 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

I'm gonna take a risk and say 30% 

Have you looked at a Whitman Mega Red? They report the average grade from NGC. On very many moderns, proofs particularly, the AVERAGE is above 69.5. What does that tell you? More 70’s than anything else. To me, it makes getting them graded fairly pointless. 

Edited by VKurtB

12 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

I'm gonna take a risk and say 30% 

Congrats on the coin/grade. If the PF 2020 W ASE's (with out privy) are any indication you should expect around 86% of the WWII ASE's to grade at 70 (from NGC). The 2020 -S proofs were grading at the same clip.

10 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Congrats on the coin/grade. If the PF 2020 W ASE's (with out privy) are any indication you should expect around 86% of the WWII ASE's to grade at 70 (from NGC). The 2020 -S proofs were grading at the same clip.

Yup, NOT getting a 70 is unusual. This is not speculation. The data speaks for itself. Worse yet, a number of those 70’s WILL develop spots and no longer even BE real 70’s. A horrible waste of money all around. I don’t EVER have any ASE’s graded any more, EVER. No value added, only COSTS.  

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yup, NOT getting a 70 is unusual. This is not speculation. The data speaks for itself. Worse yet, a number of those 70’s WILL develop spots and no longer even BE real 70’s. A horrible waste of money all around. I don’t EVER have any ASE’s graded any more, EVER. No value added, only COSTS.  

I agree 100% with @VKurtB

3 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

A realization that I was late to the party on.

I can’t help but ask what took you so long? The absolute MAJORITY of ALL coins in slabs have absolutely NO business being in one.

Edited by VKurtB

I'll keep sending mine in, you win some and you lose some and if you get lucky you make a little money down the road but you always have great coins. Here are 2 of the rarer modern eagles, that I'm glad I got. 

Screenshot_20201119-090324_Gallery.jpg

Glad you are enjoying your coins, that's what it's all about.

Chances are, those coins will never be worth more than they are right now. If you're looking to turn a profit, now is the time, then pick one of these up (no spots) 5-10 years down the road at a reduced price. Probably.

17 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Glad you are enjoying your coins, that's what it's all about.

Chances are, those coins will never be worth more than they are right now. If you're looking to turn a profit, now is the time, then pick one of these up (no spots) 5-10 years down the road at a reduced price. Probably.

Almost CERTAINLY. The trends are that way and have been for a VERY long time now. You PAY more when you BUY them as MS70's, but somehow when you go to SELL them, you run into, "Bah, it's all just bullion to me." There is a word for that - "sucker bait".

I buy most from the mint direct and send to grade but there are 2 shops here close to me that sell 99% of their stabbed eagles at spot prices. I've gotten some valuable (by the book) slabs from them. I dont understand those that do it that way. 

3 hours ago, Mc10139 said:

I buy most from the mint direct and send to grade but there are 2 shops here close to me that sell 99% of their stabbed eagles at spot prices. I've gotten some valuable (by the book) slabs from them. I dont understand those that do it that way. 

For EVERY ONE of those coins, SOMEBODY took a horrible beating financially, and it's usually the guy who submitted them originally. I buy from the mint direct, too, but I KEEP THEM IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING.

A further update for you guys since I know this was a hot topic on release... there is no way short of putting your cert under a microscope to tell if its hand signed. You can clearly see the stroke marks from hand signed like on mine. I dont have any to compare but I believe the others are autopenned.

Screenshot_20201126-164511_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-164612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-164357_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-164313_Gallery.jpg

I found out that mine got a pf 69. That is kinda disappointing.  But I can't really complain. I was fortunate enough to get one. Im glad I got thru on the mint site. I  ordered it on my android phone at work.  I bout pulled my hair out but I got one. Also got one of the silver medals as well. 

46 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

A further update for you guys since I know this was a hot topic on release... there is no way short of putting your cert under a microscope to tell if its hand signed. You can clearly see the stroke marks from hand signed like on mine. I dont have any to compare but I believe the others are autopenned.

Screenshot_20201126-164511_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-164612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-164357_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-164313_Gallery.jpg

I think it may be a copy. I compared it to mine and its identical. I put mine under a microscope to check and its really hard to tell. But it matches all my other ones. I figured if it was hand signed there would be a little bit of difference in the size or location.  I was sure hoping though. 20201126_183646.thumb.jpg.22157d331cb0213220fbd9bc520be318.jpg

19 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I think it may be a copy. I compared it to mine and its identical. I put mine under a microscope to check and its really hard to tell. But it matches all my other ones. I figured if it was hand signed there would be a little bit of difference in the size or location.  I was sure hoping though. 20201126_183646.thumb.jpg.22157d331cb0213220fbd9bc520be318.jpg

Yours is tilted slightly but I cropped it and magnified it... you can see how the sigs don't lign up. They may be both hand signed or one of each. I just know what an autosig looks like, from all of my art I collect and memorabilia. There won't be bleeding and breaks in the sig like in mine under the microscope. The changing thickness of the lines and the pull off marks won't be there on an autosig. 

Screenshot_20201126-175944_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201126-175917_Gallery.jpg

Yours is the top for reference.... and looking at the thikness of the lines comparatively, though a little blurry ide say we both got hand signed. 

And I had a feeling that there would be a larger number of these that came back less than 70. I've been seeing some numbers come back and im super excited I got 70uc on all of my submissions. 

1 hour ago, Mc10139 said:

Yours is the top for reference.... and looking at the thikness of the lines comparatively, though a little blurry ide say we both got hand signed. 

And I had a feeling that there would be a larger number of these that came back less than 70. I've been seeing some numbers come back and im super excited I got 70uc on all of my submissions. 

Thats awesome my friend. Congratulations on the 70s. That be cool if they are hand signed.