• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching SN#s

48 posts in this topic

Hello all! I recently submitted my first batch of coins and got amazing results! I got all 70s on the basketballs, 2 of each and I couldn't be happier. 

I was lucky enough to get all of the V75 eagles!!!! What are the chances I can get NGC to send them back with all matching or close to matching #s? Is there a chance? Should I just write it on the form and pray? Should I call in and try to sweet talk the reps? If I could get matching #s on the entire set it would be the most epic thing ever. Let me know what you guys think!

well, I wouldn't recommend "sweet-talking", as part of competing in the market means getting a rep for unbiased grading, so they'd probably be more apt to hold it against you... anyhow, hey, why not? worst case scenario, you got them graded, so then you'll know. would recommend getting the add-on where they send you back your mint packaging, in case you ever decide to "crack" the slabs.

Your serial number is just the number of your invoice plus the line number of the coin on that invoice.  For example, if the invoice number is 1234567, the first coin number will be 1234567-001, the second coin 1234567-002, etc.

Now, that being said, I have no idea if the gold and silver coins can be submitted on the same invoice, due to tier pricing and the value (or potential value) of the graded coins.  

Edited by Morpheus1967

I'm pretty sure your coins can be submitted on the same form (Modern Tier).

51 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

so ill submit on 2 separate orders and try to make the invoice #s match!

Nope, the submission #'s are unique. Best you can do is submit on same form and have sequential cert #'s,  -001 & -002. Only other thing I can think of is if they have a dual holder for the coins, two coins in one holder. I'm pretty sure they don't but if you were going to ask a question to NGC that would be it.

The cert #'s are supposed to be unique.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
spelling

47 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm pretty sure your coins can be submitted on the same form (Modern Tier).

Isn't the modern tier topped at $2,000 value?  The gold eagle is selling for over $10,000 raw on ebay right now.  I'm assuming he has a gold eagle since he said he got "all" of the V75 eagles.

6 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Isn't the modern tier topped at $2,000 value?  The gold eagle is selling for over $10,000 raw on ebay right now.  I'm assuming he has a gold eagle since he said he got "all" of the V75 eagles.

True, I was thinking of the 1/2oz that sold out yesterday for some reason. Probably because I'm wishing I had tried to get it.

So the Early Bird/Standard submission would be the cheapest or to cover the resale value completely the Express tier. 

Just now, Mc10139 said:

but you can't submit mixed on the same invoice as far as I know.

You can, at least I have in the past (on the Modern tier).

They are taking longer to ship the medals, I may have to just submit the gold and silver eagles on their own so I dont mess the 7 day deadline. I expected the medals to arrive today hut they still haven't shipped. 

1 hour ago, Mc10139 said:

They are taking longer to ship the medals, I may have to just submit the gold and silver eagles on their own so I dont mess the 7 day deadline. I expected the medals to arrive today hut they still haven't shipped. 

7 day deadline for what?  And the medals just sold yesterday.  How did you expect to have them today?  

Edited by Morpheus1967

4 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

First releases designation/early releases.

Pretty sure you have 30 days from release date to get them to NGC.  

NGC offers the Early Releases and First Releases designations for select coins received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within 30 days of the first release of a new coin issue. The terms Early Releases or First Releases will be noted as part of the coin description on the NGC label. Early Releases and First Releases are interchangeable and the same definition and relevant cutoff dates applies to each term.

Link

Edited by Morpheus1967

11 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Your serial number is just the number of your invoice plus the line number of the coin on that invoice.  For example, if the invoice number is 1234567, the first coin number will be 1234567-001, the second coin 1234567-002, etc.

Each TPGS has its own format.  This is the first time I have heard an explanation of any format used and do not doubt its veracity. 

I decided to send the eagles in and not wait on the medals.... the ASE is posted already! I hope those are smudges on the holder and not the infamous "milk spots" but I wont know until I get it back. They haven't done the gold yet but the silver was super fast. Screenshot_20201112-183746_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e6f26a11ab887648032c1de4ed7632d0.jpgScreenshot_20201112-183746_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e6f26a11ab887648032c1de4ed7632d0.jpg

Screenshot_20201112-183751_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201112-183821_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201112-183807_Chrome.jpg

That was a fast turnaround, WOW.

Hopefully those are just marks/debris on the holder, some of it absolutely is. Or reflections in the proof fields. There a some areas I don't like the look of but it's tough to say without seeing the coin in hand.

I agree the marks and blemishes could be concern. But as mentioned until you have in hand you won't really know if on slab or not, so no reason to worry at this point.  And I am surprised how fast your turn around was.  Congrats on that.

Edited by scopru

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That was a fast turnaround, WOW.

Hopefully those are just marks/debris on the holder, some of it absolutely is. Or reflections in the proof fields. There a some areas I don't like the look of but it's tough to say without seeing the coin in hand.

It was the first time I paid for the pictures and I thought they would at least make sure the holder was wiped down and looking good for the pics....thats why I'm afraid its the coin. But they did do is super fast so maybe they just rushed it!

41 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

It was the first time I paid for the pictures and I thought they would at least make sure the holder was wiped down and looking good for the pics....thats why I'm afraid its the coin. But they did do is super fast so maybe they just rushed it!

If you paid for NGC Photo Vision, those aren't the pictures from that service. Those are just the standard images they take of almost every coin. The Photo Vision images will be of the coin out of the holder, they will email them directly to you. It may take a day or two to receive them.

33 minutes ago, Mc10139 said:

I hope only a few end up grading out. That would make it that much more epic!

Prediction: 70 will be the PREDOMINANT grade. Well over the majority of them.