• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1985d
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Thanks for the full-coin photos. Much easier to examine Tridmn.

New collectors should note the specific, accurate language used by Mr. Lange: "...from which the brass plating has been removed...." The coating on modern cents is an alloy of copper and zinc - with is properly called "brass" and not "copper" as mentioned in the vernacular.

Yes, it's a tiny "nit" - but in numismatics details and accurate language are important.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Thanks for the full-coin photos. Much easier to examine Tridmn.

New collectors should note the specific, accurate language used by Mr. Lange: "...from which the brass plating has been removed...." The coating on modern cents is an alloy of copper and zinc - with is properly called "brass" and not "copper" as mentioned in the vernacular.

Yes, it's a tiny "nit" - but in numismatics details and accurate language are important.

Is it really? I thought the plating was pure copper. No? Do you have a source for the brass plating? The Mint says "copper".

Edited by VKurtB

well, it has some copper, so in the mint's mind, same thing right? After all, would you be all that surprised if the mint came out with a "silver" coin with only like 10% actual silver content in the alloy?

4 hours ago, 1917 said:

well, it has some copper, so in the mint's mind, same thing right? After all, would you be all that surprised if the mint came out with a "silver" coin with only like 10% actual silver content in the alloy?

Hey, why not? Mexico surely did.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:10 PM, VKurtB said:

Is it really? I thought the plating was pure copper. No? Do you have a source for the brass plating? The Mint says "copper".

I believe you are correct. The loss of the exterior copper plating exposes the inner zinc-copper alloy core to environmental erosion.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe you are correct. The loss of the exterior copper plating exposes the inner zinc-copper alloy core to environmental erosion.

I was merely wanting to share weights. I knew the copper plating would take weight off, that's why I posted them; so there would be no confusion.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:54 AM, DWLange said:

That is almost certainly an ordinary cent from which the brass plating has been removed via environmental damage.

Listen To DW. NOBODY ELSE.😎☘ 

I'm FAIRLY certain @RWB and DWL are incorrect about the brass plating on post-1983 cents. Every source I can find says pure copper. Yes, it's a bad choice, James. Have you LOOKED at any?!?!?! The plating is hyper-reactive on steroids, exactly what you'd expect from a pure copper plating. A tiny itsy bitsy hole through the plating and even slightly low pH water, and you've got a corrosion engine running. It's a tiny mini-battery.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/9/2020 at 9:54 AM, DWLange said:

That is almost certainly an ordinary cent from which the COPPER plating has been removed via environmental damage.

there fixed it for ya........99.2% zinc, .08% copper plating 83 to present.....

On 11/14/2020 at 10:52 PM, rocket23 said:

there fixed it for ya........99.2% zinc, .08% copper plating 83 to present.....

Amen. Being on NGC’s payroll does not make one immune from having an oopsie.

I'm not going to argue about the copper being taken off by some sort of chemical. I thought it was unique and wanted to show it. That's why I post on here; for answers to questions I cant answer. Sometimes I do post things that I can eventually find an answer to. Most here have done this for years, and are still doing it. That's why I ask first then start digging myself.

Edited by Tridmn
Extra information

43 minutes ago, Tridmn said:

I'm not going to argue about the copper being taken off by some sort of chemical. I thought it was unique and wanted to show it. That's why I post on here; for answers to questions I cant answer. Sometimes I do post things that I can eventually find an answer to. Most here have done this for years, and are still doing it. That's why I ask first then start digging myself.

That’s an okay system. I entered the field several decades before the Internet existed. I used libraries to do research. Huge buildings, lots of books. 

Edited by VKurtB