• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Coins

40 posts in this topic

It's a lottery.  The Mint has determined that having these winner-takes-all windfalls every now-and-then is good publicity and marketing.  It offsets the negative vibes from the veterans.

Gets new people into the hobby who think they will be next to double or triple their money on a coin or coins. :nyah:

17 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Last I checked, the Royal Mint has lower mintages on a lot of their commemoratives and non-circulating coins but it doesn't actually translate to inflated value on all of them.  

The flipping culture and high prices on US "low mintage" NCLT is symptomatic of the financialization of US "collecting".  I find myself agreeing with both  @VKurtB and @gmarguliconcurrently.

As for foreign mints, I'm not aware of much flipping.  The only one I know anything about is South Africa where the same culture exists, as their "hobby" has also been financialized and it's mostly due to TPG adoption.  

Otherwise, I suspect that price run ups after issuance might be due to US based buying.  As an example, Heritage sold a UK silver Una & the Lion NCLT last year for a totally crazy price, around $13K.  Yes, I know the design is widely admired but with a mintage of 4,000 (or near it), hardly rare or even scarce. 

Don't know the issue price but I'm fairly confident this type of price isn't supportable without US based buyers.  The coin is far too common and isn't remotely interesting enough to be competitive with other British coinage, 99%+ which sells for less.

On 11/9/2020 at 12:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Just curious, as most collectors are aware, the 1995-W Proof ASE were cleverly ensconced in a multi-piece gold set.

The only way to acquire one was to purchase the set and defile its sarcophagus to obtain the only coin you were really interested in.  An expensive undertaking.

Making matters more complicated, a comparatively few number were minted.

Last I heard (I guess a quarter-century ago) those silver proofs, alone, were selling for $30,000.  Two minutes ago, 11/09/2020, 1245 hrs., I saw one being offered on eBay for $3,000.  I would like to know whether anyone has any feeling about this, whether you got in on the ground floor or not, and/or whether you cracked yours out or not.  In short, it's been 25 years.  How do you feel about it?

I just pretend my 95 (p) proofs are (w)'s in disguise.......

Edited by rocket23

For those who acquired and submitted to our hosts, how did you make out?  I acquired two V75 ASE's, one I managed to buy myself and the other I bought from a buddy.  I submitted both and got one 70 and one 69.  I'm keeping the 70 and selling the 69.  I managed to get a a V75 AGE into my cart, but could never checkout with it. 

I didn't submit mine. I sold them both and never even opened the box they came in. Based on how the TPG are grading modern mint products, I'd expect the 69 grade to be far more rare than 70.

I ended up getting a silver one. I almost cried and stomped my phone before it finally went through.  I bet I clicked on it 500 times. Counted counted 100s of motorcycles and boats. But finally got it. Only got banned once. Had it graded and it only graded a 69. Also got lucky enough to get one of the silver medals. Surprisingly it was harder to get through to get it then the eagle. I was a punching buttons and a crying and slinging snot. Finally got er though. It just arrived at NGC this morning. I should have it back after the holidays I figured. It should grade a 70 hopefully    it didn't have a speck nowhere on it. It is a beautiful piece.