• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sending 8 coins for grading , Please advise if you think any aren't worth grading

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Edward Plato said:

While we're on grading questions, please help me out with these dimes. I am getting ready to send a few to be graded and quite frankly I am tired of being disappointed by the results. The one at the bottom, a '61 proof, came back as a 67 cameo. What puzzles me is why it did not receive the full torch or full bands designation. I am sending out a few more and in my eyes they are full bands, the bottom line is weak but visible all the way across. Am I wasting my time & money sending these?

.- Does NGC (or others)  provide FT/FB for proofs, or only for circulation coins?

3 hours ago, Edward Plato said:

While we're on grading questions, please help me out with these dimes. I am getting ready to send a few to be graded and quite frankly I am tired of being disappointed by the results. The one at the bottom, a '61 proof, came back as a 67 cameo. What puzzles me is why it did not receive the full torch or full bands designation. I am sending out a few more and in my eyes they are full bands, the bottom line is weak but visible all the way across. Am I wasting my time & money sending these?

NGC does not designate strike related characteristics on proof coins. All proofs are assumed to be fully struck.

3 hours ago, Edward Plato said:

Your photo on the coin in question is too out of focus for me to answer your question on the bands, but I would suggest that you get in the habit of using the tools that NGC provides.  If you consult the NGC coin explorer (you can find this tool on the main page under resources) there is a great deal of information and photos of each coin in each series.  Once you select a coin and date that you are interested in you can see the census data, NGC price guide, and other helpful information.  With that information you can make a better more informed decision about what coins may be worth sending in and those that are so common it may not.  There are also photos of NGC graded coins, some are very good high rez photos that registry members have provided, some are not quite as good but may help you to better ballpark what a coin might grade at vs your estimate of grade.  As you did not provide a date I cannot say if the full band designation is easy or difficult to obtain for your coin, as noted above all proofs are expected to have full strikes so things like full lines are not designated.

8 hours ago, Edward Plato said:

What puzzles me is why it did not receive the full torch or full bands designation.

Because proof coins are assumed to have the various "full strike" features such as full bands, full bell lines, full steps etc, so they don't get the designations.

11 hours ago, Edward Plato said:

I am getting ready to send a few to be graded and quite frankly I am tired of being disappointed by the results.

Easy way to prevent disappointment - stop submitting them. 

Edited by scopru

Thanks for the advice all, I have utilized photograde, both with NGC and PCGS. To me I have full bands on these dimes, wish I could produce better pictures, just gonna send them in. Just another reason for me to hope for video coordinate measuring equipment to take over this aspect of the hobby, no more subjectivity!

I am aware it has been tried before, the technology now surpasses what was available a few years ago.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, RWB said:

$75+ for three common date quarters? Amazing.

Amazing, true, but not all that unusual any more. Getting coins graded is being treated lately as a rite of passage, equivalent to getting your first non-Velcro shoes or your first pair of big-boy pants. Now you can argue all you want that my analogies are rude, but they also happen to be true.

The analogies are not rude; wasting money like that is. Much more enjoyable things could be done with $75 - one might even buy a ready-"graded" coin in a cute slab and have a lot left over; or take the long suffering, tolerant wife to a nice dinner out or at least get a really good carry-out meal.

(Ok...so maybe I'm too conservative and cheap. I don't like wasting things.)