• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 S proof set

12 posts in this topic

Found a 1981 S proof set at my local pawn shop today. The penny has some sort or corrosion on it, not sure what that's about being in the hard plastic cases, but, the rest of the set is in BEYOND perfect condition, no scratches, dings, they all look like mirrors and look brand new. I really cant tell of any of them are type 1 or type 2 but I can clearly see the "S" perfect and plain as day on every coin, no blobs, but can't be 100% sure due to waiting on my scope to come in. That being said, are any of the coins in the set worth getting graded. I'm hoping the penny doesnt cause any big problems with the set. Thanks in advance.

Proof sets like you describe are readily available.

It is very unlikely that any of the coins in the set will justify the cost of authentication and grading plus 2-way postage.

If you post a photo of each side, members might offer comments.

59 minutes ago, RWB said:

Proof sets like you describe are readily available.

It is very unlikely that any of the coins in the set will justify the cost of authentication and grading plus 2-way postage.

If you post a photo of each side, members might offer comments.

The main thing I was concerned with was if it is type 1 or type 2. From what I have read, type 2's especially the Susan b Anthony are worth alot more money than face

I am not able to get a good close up of the S on the Susan B in your photos.  However, odds are it is a Type 1. I do not see anything based on your photos that I would submit.

See if you can get a better close up shot of the mint mark, it kinda looks like a type 2 but the photo gets too pixelated once I start to blow it up.  If it is a type2 and graded as PF69UC you would about break even selling after costs, you would be able to sell it for a small profit (around $200ish net after costs) if it graded as PF70UC.  No way to know unless you submit, but it is a gamble as currently NGC shows 2,300 in 69 and only 164 graded as 70, so the odds are that you would receive a 69 or lower grade.

I am still going with Type 1.  I would also not worry about submitting this coin even if it is a type 2 for the reasons stated above by others. 

Edited by scopru