• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OGP vs Graded.

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I am fairly new to coin collecting and this forum so forgive me if my question seems lacking of knowledge. I recently received a 2020 w nickel with the purchase of a silver proof set from US Mint. Should I keep the nickel in OGP or should I have it graded? 

Thank you.

Some collectors set a minimum FMV of $200 to $250 before they consider sending a coin for authentication and grading. That works out to a maximum of about 10% of the coin value to have it slabbed. To break even on selling, the owner has to get at least an extra 10%.

I see little difference on the resale aspect ....slabbed coins graded as authentic ''sets'' and coins still in the ogp, vary at whether they sell at the same price at auction As far I've seen graded coins and sets are selling at or near each others price....but for naked appeal ogp wins for the collector moreover than slabs imho.