• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what does "Shortened 5 Die Variety" mean?

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum-

It would help if you stated what year and denomination coin you are referring to. Also a picture if possible could help with determing the answer to your question.

Thanks for the photos, now I know what you are referring to.

Where did you get the term "shortened 5 die variety" from? As far as I know, there were no varieties on the date on the 1858 cent. The only varieties in 1858 that I have seen are in the stem and vine.

The 5 on your coin is a normal 5 with the tip taking a hit that has slightly flattened it making it look shorter but that is damage, not a variety.

If you don't mind my asking, did you buy this coin and if so,  how much did you pay for it? Did the description say it was a shortened 5?

Edited by Greenstang

It looks like the seller has made up a variety to try and increase the value. The coin shown is worth nowhere near the asking price of $165.00 US. Maybe half that at best. Look around and you should be able find a better deal.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was strange that it didn't appear to look like it was copper compared to other pennies and there a lot of other 1858's there as well. Is there a dictionary of coin lingo around to help figure things out?

You can search the Glossary on NGC

Go to the main page and click on resources, scroll down to the bottom and click on other resources, click on Glossary.        This will give you some of the common terminology but not the different variety names.

For varieties (not all but many of them) click on resources and scroll down to Variety Plus.  Have fun, there is a lot to learn.