• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who says you can't free a coin from lucite...

25 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm curious as to why you'd bother for a circulated 1889(P) in VF or so. Unless the lucite holder was damaged it was probably worth more as a souvenir.

32 minutes ago, DWLange said:

I'm curious as to why you'd bother for a circulated 1889(P) in VF or so. Unless the lucite holder was damaged it was probably worth more as a souvenir.

I was going to ask this same question. If it ain't worth breaking, I like the souvenir aspect of it. 

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

The souvenir wasn't terribly valuable (around $25) and you wouldn't want to experiment on a Lucite paperweight with a nice UNC inside, would you?

Cheers

Bob

As a teen, I sealed an attractive XF 1770 8R with a dark patina that my grandfather gave me in Lucite.  Many, many years later I wanted the coin out and used a hammer.  Unfortunately, much of the patina came off and the coin did not look as nice.  

1 hour ago, Outhaul said:

The souvenir wasn't terribly valuable (around $25) and you wouldn't want to experiment on a Lucite paperweight with a nice UNC inside, would you?

Cheers

Bob

So, my next question becomes, do you have more of these you're planning to break???

7 hours ago, Outhaul said:

1003133284_MorganFreed.thumb.jpg.818302659a49c2961f973caf0a290961.jpg

For lack of a more applicable term, this is what someone harboring decidedly un-numismatic tendencies would do.

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

For lack of a more applicable term, this is what someone harboring decidedly un-numismatic tendencies would do.

Nonsense. Many have asked if this is possible. I just happened to be the one to do it.

Cheers

Bob

Around 35 years ago I saw my neighbors toilet seat and it had coins in it (both the lid and the part you sit on). It had to have been very old at that time as I recall there were unc Buffalo nickels and Walking Liberty halves in it, among many other nice looking coins. Besides, she never updated the place and everything in it was very old, so the seat had to have been very old. 

When she died they had an estate sale and I went over to buy it with the hopes of freeing the coins. It was gone. I asked about it and was told that someone stole it off the toilet earlier in the day. Someone unhooked it from the toilet and snuck it out of the house without anyone seeing them. 

From what I understand, freeing stuff from Lucite isn't super difficult for most objects. You can freeze the Lucite in liquid nitrogen and then smash it with a hammer. You can also soak smaller pieces of it in acetone and it will dissolve. 

18 hours ago, gmarguli said:

From what I understand, freeing stuff from Lucite isn't super difficult for most objects. You can freeze the Lucite in liquid nitrogen and then smash it with a hammer. You can also soak smaller pieces of it in acetone and it will dissolve. 

A good friend of mine who was the chief metallurgist for Reynolds Metals pre-Alcoa used to bring a can home, He had 17 acres of waterfront property in Va that I did a lot of work on and ended up staying at for a few years, We used to make ice cream for the lady's on hot August nights ..

Anybody else figure out the Kennedy is an accented hair yet?

14 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

A good friend of mine who was the chief metallurgist for Reynolds Metals pre-Alcoa used to bring a can home, He had 17 acres of waterfront property in Va that I did a lot of work on and ended up staying at for a few years, We used to make ice cream for the lady's on hot August nights ..

Anybody else figure out the Kennedy is an accented hair yet?

I dont think the Accent Hair Kennedy is anything near even scarce. I've heard guesses of around 100k mintage but dont know without research. Of course any of these in high grade heavy cameo would be desireable but not necessarily rare. Given the fact that many 1964 proof sets were broken up and melted with cents and nickels spent, I put away one cent and one nickel a few years ago of the highest grade Pf 69 Ultra Cameo. Some speculate that the Pointed 9 dime also came from those early sets as well.

6 hours ago, numisport said:

I dont think the Accent Hair Kennedy is anything near even scarce. I've heard guesses of around 100k mintage but dont know without research. Of course any of these in high grade heavy cameo would be desireable but not necessarily rare. Given the fact that many 1964 proof sets were broken up and melted with cents and nickels spent, I put away one cent and one nickel a few years ago of the highest grade Pf 69 Ultra Cameo. Some speculate that the Pointed 9 dime also came from those early sets as well.

I sold 2 last year 1 proof 68 for $298.00 and a proof 68 cam for $800.00 , both NGC , They have value..

I still have a couple 3 or 4 raws that I may get graded.. Less than 10 percent of the mintage were ah's. 

Screenshot 2020-11-02 161022.png

Edited by MAULEMALL

53 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

I sold 2 last year 1 proof 68 for $298.00 and a proof 68 cam for $800.00 , both NGC , They have value..

I still have a couple 3 or 4 raws that I may get graded.. Less than 10 percent of the mintage were ah's. 

Screenshot 2020-11-02 161022.png

Russ, is that you?

1 hour ago, gmarguli said:

Russ, is that you?

I got nothing but love for that SOB.. Kennedies paid for a fart ton of fishing... And he taught without Any reservation.. Russ rocks IMO..

Those 2 that I sold last year I bought for 8 bucks each in sets 13 or 14 years ago.. I had a ICG pr69 that wasn't classed as A/H that I bought for $20.00 Back when ICG was top 4..

2x8 =16 add 26 for grade $42.00 for $1.100.00:whistle:   

Good hobby.. If only the hundreds of Morgans would be so profitable..xD

Edited by MAULEMALL