• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971-S mint set penny

3 posts in this topic

I have done some research on the 1971 proof mint sets that were released, I do not have a copy of cherry pickers (yet). What I have read is that there were some S minted ones that have doubling on "in god we trust" and "liberty" and "1971". I do not have a good magnifying glass to see the double but it looks like it does certain ways I hold it. Is it true that one way of knowing if it does, is if the "in God we trust" decreases from left to right? On mine you can see the starting of it perfect, but towards the end specifically on the "trust" the top of "ST" is barely visible. Thanks in advance. Will try to upload pictures when I get home.

From your description it sounds like common MD or die erosion, but difficult to say without photos.  You can also look up the variety on Variety Vista to see if any of the known varieties match yours.