• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would hobby message boards be improved with sidebars added?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Many longer threads get sidetracked or hijacked by extraneous posts. What do members think of the idea of having a sidebar attached to each thread? The sidebar could hold posts not part of the main subject, and controlled by the moderators or the original poster?

Example: Charlie Collector starts a thread about Civil War tokens. A few posts later member Milton Modular comments about his Civil War era seated Liberty dollars collection and others add to that subject. Charlie, noting that his original thread has been derailed, can tag the seated Liberty posts and drag them to a sidebar. This could put the original subject back on track without removing the possibly useful, but off-subject posts. Members would be able to toggle between seeing and hiding the sidebar.

Roger, is that a problem here, in your opinion ?  I think if anything we need MORE posts of any kind here.

How would this work on say the 22-page thread I started on your book ?  If there are 5-10 posts or more in a row on politics, sports, or Liberty Seated Dollars, yeah, I wouldn't mind them being removed/hidden/sidebarred.  

I'm not sure it's necessary.  Let's get more posters here talking about the major coins and coin trends -- that's my major beef.

Way to easy for some of the more sensitive posters to get their feelings hurt that Charlie Collector moved their comment.  I could see that going sideways and escalating into hurtful comments, basically I see a feature like this doing more harm than good.

BTW anyone see the seated liberty I posted :devil:

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Roger, is that a problem here, in your opinion ?  I think if anything we need MORE posts of any kind here.

I am going to pretend I didn't read this.  😂

Many sites have the ability to respond to any specific post and then the thread is displayed as a tree when you open it up.  

This is difficult for some posters to get accustomed to but it's the best thing since sliced bread when it works.  Sometimes it works less well or even poorly because seeing detail of the tree gets difficult as they grow longer and it won't help much against off topic posts.  Interestingly few threads make it past five or six consecutive posts without branching.  

The software here is, no doubt, incompatible.  I've always thought this would work well for most threads on coin sites.