• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 25cent Mint error broadstruck or damaged?

22 posts in this topic

1966 quarter I got at a grocery store. The quarter has a half moon type ring on both obverse and reverse. From what I can tell its even with front and back. Does anyone know if this coin is error from mint or post mint damage?

Resized_Resized_20201014_204329.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20201014_204409001.jpeg

On 10/28/2020 at 7:56 AM, Greenstang said:

It looks to me like an incomplete clip which would be a planchet error, not a mint error. My only concern is that is if it genuine or made on purpose to make it look like an error. On the Obverse the clip does not go over the edge of the coin plus the thickness in some areas. Perhaps someone can verify it either way.

On the reverse the line goes over both sides on the rim.

Screenshot_20201029-080939_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201029-080930_Gallery.jpg

4 hours ago, RWB said:

Damage, just as on the cent.

Most at CU PCGS forum agree that my cent is indeed an 'incomplete punch' flaw/error.

This quarter has indications of the same. Perhaps @Annabell would be better served with a thread ATS?

On 10/28/2020 at 5:53 AM, bsshog40 said:

If I'm not mistaken,  @ProfHaroldHill had a cent with this same type of strike. Not sure if they came up with an answer.  I'm thinking this was a mint error but not sure. 

I can't Link the thread from where I am right now, but I started a thread ATS about my 1911 Lincoln Cent, (also posted here in another thread,) and most agree that it's very likely an 'incomplete punch' flaw. I'll be sending it in soon.

I think the OP may well have one too, as others suggest.

I would also like to disagree. After looking at the closeup photos, I see no sign of metal displacement from being damaged and am more sure than not that this is a genuine error. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to send it to a TPG to get verified. If it is truly an incomplete clip, it would be worth it.

Blank cutters were (and are) "all or nothing" machines - there is no "in between." Full-stroke and half-stroke (cutter blade above and below the strip) produced similar results. Full stroke was by far the most used and it cut to the strike bed under the strip. The upsetting mill makes the blank a uniform diameter with a proto-rim, thus creating a planchet. A defective blank will be ejected or broken by the machine's lateral pressure. When a coin is struck, metal flow will obliterate most rim irregularities; likewise for the relief.

The arcs might have been made by other mint equipment or outside the mint as a consequence of handling.

Just a casual thought or two.

After seeing the close ups I am even more convinced that it is an incomplete  blanking.

Glad that someone agrees with me. Looking at the photo of a known incomplete clip, I see many of the same attributes. 

The only way to know for sure is to send it to a TPG

Partial clip.jpg

15 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Glad that someone agrees with me. Looking at the photo of a known incomplete clip, I see many of the same attributes. 

The only way to know for sure is to send it to a TPG

Partial clip.jpg

Wow nice nickel I am glad so see that you have the almost exact problem. 😄