• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2016D Quarter Missing Clad?

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone.  I was sorting through a bunch of quarters this weekend and found this.  Initially, I thought it might be really dirty.  However, on the reverse side, there is still a bit of nickel whereas the -script/font has the copper tones.  I'm now wondering if this is a mint error and an example of a missing clad layer.  If it is a genuine example, I'm not sure if I should send into NGC for grading since it has slight wear.  I would appreciate your perspective on this. Thanks!

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

32 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

These guys are always asking for better photos. F them

Hittin’ the sauce again, are we? As for the coin, it’s NOT a missing clad layer. 

1 hour ago, Modwriter said:

These guys are always asking for better photos. F them

Another one to add to the ignore list. I'm sick and tired of your worthless posts. You have NOTHING positive to ever post but sarcasm.

From the photos your coin looks to be damaged and is what we call environmental damage.  That can be caused by a number of things, heat(as mentioned), having spent time underground, exposed to a chemical, and others.  However as noted the photos are not the best so better photos might lead to a more concise and accurate diagnosis.  

Thank you everyone for your replies.  See if these photos are any better.  You're all probably right that this is a damaged coin.  The hot sauce comment was funny!!

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

On 10/27/2020 at 11:23 AM, MRLAUB said:

Thank you everyone for your replies.  See if these photos are any better.  You're all probably right that this is a damaged coin.  The hot sauce comment was funny!!

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

I once made a batch of ghost pepper hot sauce that literally etched the glass of the bottles I put it in. I never used it all. I assume it forever altered the water table when I disposed it.