• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earthly damage or mint damage?

9 posts in this topic

Found this in a roll today from the bank. It just looks beat up and I've only started collecting for about a month now. The copper is showing through and it doesnt have any cuts or raised spots around it, it's the same texture as the rest of the coin. Not sure about it. Thanks

16037453750686917087450117785853.jpg

1 minute ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Looks to me like it is just a stain.

PS- When posting, please crop and show both sides of the coin.

Thank you so much for replying. And next time I'll be sure to do so.

This OP excepted:

I think I've figured out why the later generations (than mine) want to think that many merely chemically damaged coins might be errors. They grew up without chemistry sets and Cub Scout activity sets and the like. My generation all knew about discoloring metals because we had stuff that did it on purpose.

9 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

This OP excepted:

I think I've figured out why the later generations (than mine) want to think that many merely chemically damaged coins might be errors. They grew up without chemistry sets and Cub Scout activity sets and the like. My generation all knew about discoloring metals because we had stuff that did it on purpose.

This is 100% true. The only thing I know is copper turns green, and one of the only reasons I know that is because is the "statue of liberty". I've just got into coins and the whole metal composition of it gets me really confused really quick. Thank you for your input any help is great help.

Chemical stains and discoloration are very common on these manganese-brass alloy small dollars. The original color was intended to differentiate them from quarters, but they look awful after a couple of days in someone's pocket. Ordinary cheap brass might have done just as well.

2 minutes ago, RWB said:

Chemical stains and discoloration are very common on these manganese-brass alloy small dollars. The original color was intended to differentiate them from quarters, but they look awful after a couple of days in someone's pocket. Ordinary cheap brass might have done just as well.

But they also needed to match the SBA dollar’s electrical fingerprint. And they do.

4 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

But they also needed to match the SBA dollar’s electrical fingerprint. And they do.

True. However, before the SBA dollars came out several experiments with colored alloys and matching electromagnetic signatures were tested. Those data were ignored when the Sacagawea coins were approved.