• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin virus

14 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 s sacagewea dollar graded 69 by ngc.

since it was graded it has acquired some sort of virus and the coin inside their holder has started to deteriorate. So wondering have any of you had this problem? My coin is being destroyed by some thing inside the graded sealed case ???? How many more coins will begin doing this before they find the cause in their grading or sealing machines?????

IMG_20201012_130456.jpg

Let me re-phrase my answer: You accused NGC of damaging your coin. Quote:"How many more coins will begin doing this before they find the cause in their grading or sealing machines?????" I believe the substance that caused the coin to tarnish was present on the coin when it arrived at the NGC building. Based on the fact that they have been encapsulating them for 20 years, and yours is the only coin with that look that has been posted on this forum, I think it is an isolated incident.

Never heard of coin virus but I do know that coins can tone after being encapsulated. I have a silver coin that started off with a nice gold tone that is now almost black so if there is any sign of toning on the coin when graded it can continue to tone in the holder. This is something no TPG can control and has nothing to do with "some thing inside the graded sealed case".

1 hour ago, RARE COINS OF GOLDSBORO said:

Yes and thats why i asked everyone to check their coins.

Mine is not toning.

Mine is being eaten away by something encapsulated within the coin.

So are you saying there is NO possibility that something (your so called "Virus") was already on the coin before it was sent to NGC??   I find this hard to believe.

3 hours ago, RARE COINS OF GOLDSBORO said:

Yes and thats why i asked everyone to check their coins.

Mine is not toning.

Mine is being eaten away by something encapsulated within the coin.

IMG_20201012_130407.jpg

IMG_20201013_124137.jpg

IMG_20201012_130456.jpg

Andromeda Strain, clearly.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:50 PM, RARE COINS OF GOLDSBORO said:

How many more coins will begin doing this before they find the cause in their grading or sealing machines

Interesting way to start your quest for info by making an accusation that you can not substantiate.   I would say it is most likely the coin had issues prior to submission that were unseen at the time by you or whomever submitted the coin.   

Too bad for the coin. Deterioration aside it is a nice looking pattern.

Edited by scopru

Some of the more unscrupulous have been known to grease a coin with various substances to give it that extra pop before it was ever sent would be my guess. I have came across that in gold before but never modern stuff.