• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1848 Large Cent - reeded edge???

7 posts in this topic

In my grandfather's large cent collection I found an 1848 Large Cent with a reeded edge. I can't find any info or reference on this. If this was done by hand it sure would have taken a long time and for what purpose? Any info, comments or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Large cent - reeded (1).jpg

Large cent - reeded (2).jpg

Large cent - reeded (3).jpg

Large cent - reeded (4).jpg

Large cent - reeded (5).jpg

Large cent - reeded (6).jpg

I have seen reeded-edge large-cents (and incidentally, 5-cent nickels) as well, and have always assumed it to be an activity comparable to creating love-tokens.  In every case, the reeding was noticeably handiwork, and not machine-made.

Guys, thanks for taking the time to look at the photos and provide me with some feedback. I have never heard of a knerling tool. Learn something new every day! I wonder though what would have been the purpose of doing this to the cent?

By the way, the edge is not discolored (bright) and is the same color as the rest of the coin. I probably used a bright light or was too close to the light when I took the different photos. The altering was done at least 50 years ago as that's how long my grandfather had his cent collection.

IMG_5549.jpg

[Why?  Probably for the same reason why folks whittle wood or sculpt blocks of ice... Anything from boredom or having something to do with artistic expression.]