• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experimental Finish Capped Bust Half

19 posts in this topic

After reading this forum for a while, I think I have found an amazing discovery worthy of posting here.

An 1821 Capped Bust 50c with an experimental finish. I believe the dots are actually the Braille language which was invented just a few years after this was minted. 

It's been in my family for years. I found it when going through my grandfathers stuff. I didn't even know he collected coins. He was a firefighter and I though he only collected antique fire damaged items.

Before showing you my amazing discovery I showed it to a bunch of experts who told me it was damaged garbage. Even though they all refused to make me an offer on it, I know they just wanted to pay me pennies on the dollar for it. Coin dealers are all scum. 

y3esd3dpe5621.thumb.jpg.2d0cd04cadca4d52410aef9d94e70c2f.jpg

Will NGC certify it as the "Braille Discovery Coin" for me?

Good one. You almost had me believing that we had another newbie with his made up coin description until I saw your name and amount of posts. It does look like it could have come out of a fire though.

4 hours ago, gmarguli said:

. I believe the dots are actually the Braille language which was invented just a few years after this was minted. 

:signfunny:

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The sad thing is that people do submit coins like that for grading---paying extra for mint error and variety attribution!

16 hours ago, DWLange said:

The sad thing is that people do submit coins like for grading---paying extra for mint error and variety attribution!

Yeah, you gotta feel sorry for the poor person in customer service who has to listen to the client calling in cussing and screaming about how the TPG didn't recognize their obvious "mint error".

Edited by Conder101

I will give you 50 cents  for it??  i will fit perfectly in my brail set...I have a Washington quarter, a Morgan dollar, and a Jefferson.  can we get a new registry catagory?

Send it in for grade, I've got one exactly like it that I bought off of Jonescoin a few months back, so now there's two. I wish you would post both sides. Edit-- Never mind, it turned out he sold me a fake 1822 over 1909 over 1942. The mint mark on mine looked funny as well. I should have known, it just didn't 'look right' from the start. Edit: Forgot to say, just Kidding. B oh B.

Edited by ronnie stein

On 10/25/2020 at 10:30 AM, DWLange said:

The sad thing is that people do submit coins like that for grading---paying extra for mint error and variety attribution!

Oh, trust us, we are all fully aware of this. It's typical "forum fodder".

5 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

The mint mark on mine looked funny as well.

So two cannibals were eating a clown. One looked at the other and asked, "Does this taste funny to you?"

You're all very dismissive of my amazing discovery. I took this close up pic so you can see the Braille more easily. Does this change you mind?

blur.thumb.jpg.254432d3169e0d15c1058c717938a1ae.jpg

13 minutes ago, gmarguli said:

You're all very dismissive of my amazing discovery. I took this close up pic so you can see the Braille more easily. Does this change you mind?

blur.thumb.jpg.254432d3169e0d15c1058c717938a1ae.jpg

I see a smiling bear cub right about the middle.

The quality of your detail photo is amazing -- even more than Mr. Spock's "fascinating!" -- it's so great.... it's...its' ...well, "constipating!"

It says "Snow cones - 2 for $2"

Edited by RWB

14 hours ago, JTNewell said:

I will give you 50 cents  for it??  i will fit perfectly in my braille set...I have a Washington quarter, a Morgan dollar, and a Jefferson.  can we get a new registry category?

I'll give you 50 cents to put it out of its misery!

Edited by RWB

Seems like it may hold value as a Rorschach coin? What does it say that one member saw a bear cub and one saw a disrobed Venus de milo? Any psychologist in the forum? 😂

Now I wonder who jonescoins your talking about? Because if you mean Me😂😂😂 your a lying piece of !Because now you gotta show an prove that you got it From me💪.because not only is your lying.however NGC.shall be held accountable!Because now your helping to build this lie! I DON'T NEED TO LIE OR MAKE UP ANYTHING! THE UNITED STATES MINTS,HAS NO PROBLEM Verifying anything that comes from the United states MINTS💪💪.we have already proven that😂😂😂😂

I’m sorry I didn’t see this discovery until now.

Unless someone can definitively state and prove that the coin’s appearance is due to something other than your theory, you must be correct. And that’s even if no one else (experts included) agrees with you.