• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964-d nickel copper jefferson head and silver edges minted

6 posts in this topic

I was handed this coin from a store as my returned change coins 2days ago & recognized that this wasn't a typical nickel I'd ever seen.so I started researching more about possiAbility minted errors of 1964-d coins and possiabilitys of known and unknowns and found many for this erra of produced coins minted .I took it but a local coin shop who did what they always do and say "it's nothing it's been in dirt is why it looks like that" I'm sorry but sitting in dirt wouldn't change the property's of the coin to make it look as it does .this looks purpously minted during the pressure the mints we're getting that year to come up with a new coin not useing silver due to the price hike value of costs during 1964 trying to come up with a new proof to use and alot of testing or it's possiAbility it was struck over a penny on acciedent is also my thoughts.im new to coin collecting and pocket change finds .I hate how coin shops don't even really look at what you bring in & most don't have the knowledge weather it's known or a unknown possiably minted coin or not but there sure quick to tell someone any excuse that the person prog in nothing of value.one day hopefully I'll be able to show them how don't they were maybe with this one 1964-d nickel jeffersons picture is perfectly copper tone with around the edges showing green tarnish from ageing silver the coin has a rough texture as if it was printed over another coin such as a penny maybe or a smaller coin of copper.

IMG_20201024_113405674.jpg

IMG_20201024_113334176.jpg

Welcome to the Forum-

We see many like this on the Forum. The dealer was right, it is just environmental damage, possibly from being buried. It  certainly didn't leave the mint looking like that. The reason he didn't look at it very long is that anyone knowledgeable with coins would be able to spot the problem immediately.

I agree, I metal detect and this is the way they come out of the ground. If it was struck over a cent, it would be smaller and thinner than a nickel and the weight of a cent.

Edited by l.cutler

1 hour ago, JTNewell said:

Yes looks like one pulled from a wishing well

The nickel didn't get its wish. All it wanted was to remain dry, but noooooo.