• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The problem with abolishing coins

35 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2021 at 7:52 PM, Mr_Spud said:

Do you think that in a hundred years people will collect expired credit cards? Or that coins, if they still will be around, will be made of metallic looking plastic?

Wikipedia actually lists collecting credit cards on their exonumia page under the modern item umbrella. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exonumia  I got four Lord Marcovan elongated coins the other day in a trade/swap and was googling around.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, Mr_Spud said:

Do you think that in a hundred years people will collect expired credit cards? Or that coins, if they still will be around, will be made of metallic looking plastic?

There's probably someone who collects expired credit cards now.  There are people who collect Starbucks gift cards without balances.  I used to work for Starbucks and I sold my Partner Card (which is a card given to employees which is never supposed to come onto the collectible markets.....I wasn't going back, I knew it and I kept the card) after I resigned for a couple of hundred bucks!  I'm really not kidding. 

Edited by Mohawk

That’s incredible, I had no idea that collecting expired credit cards was already a thing. 

I just did a search on eBay for “expired credit cards” and they have their own category. I guess we will be seeing them in slabs pretty soon 🌞

On 8/17/2021 at 12:00 AM, Mr_Spud said:

That’s incredible, I had no idea that collecting expired credit cards was already a thing. 

I just did a search on eBay for “expired credit cards” and they have their own category. I guess we will be seeing them in slabs pretty soon 🌞

I wouldn't be surprised in the least.....there are companies that slab video games, video game consoles and action figures.  Why not expired credit cards?  If there's a buck to be made, someone will do it eventually.