• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005-D 10C SATIN FINISH MS68FB
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, ok I'm a little confused on this coin. I bought this and a barber dime a couple of weeks ago. I showed this to an individual and he scoped it out for like 30 minutes,  and told me the reason I paid 15 dollars for this coin is the scratches and damage of the capsule. I thought it was about the coin not the capsule. Remind you this guy is old school he goes buy his books. He doesn't get on the web for anything. I understand people want the capsule beautiful and pretty, but in my case like usual I end up with odd stuff. I didn't know the capsules would bring down the value. Then it was pointed out to me that the coin should have not been graded so high MS68. That the highest it should of been graded is MS63 or 64. Because of the major nick and scuffs on the reverse. He saying, don't know what was going on while they were graded the coin but should be an error on the grading company's part. He's also saying that it's a good example coin I got here to compare other coins I might get graded in the future. Long story short, he wants to buy it, but it's not for sale. He wants it so he can have something he can throw back at the grading company if he gets back a graded coin that should've, would've lol. What excites me, I have a cool conversation piece. I just need to learn more about grading I guess,  but I'm not close to that part of the hobby yet. But some day I will be able to be at that point, not right now though. Any help would be great. Thanks 

20201021_073228.jpg

20201021_072721.jpg

20201021_072556.jpg

he looked at for 30 minutes under high magnification. The grader looked at it for 30 seconds with low or no magnification. Modern coins like this lose value quickly when graded under 69. A scratched holder makes no difference to all but the most OCD collector. You paid about market value for it. No great deal, no rip off. 

He had it for about 30 min. I was doing yard work until he brung it back to me. Then that's when he was telling and showing all the flaws. Idk I was just curious what he was saying at the time. It just wasn't panning out at the time.

48 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

he looked at for 30 minutes under high magnification. The grader looked at it for 30 seconds with low or no magnification. Modern coins like this lose value quickly when graded under 69. A scratched holder makes no difference to all but the most OCD collector. You paid about market value for it. No great deal, no rip off. 

Sorry my bad, he looked up and found out that PCGS has it listed at 40 dollars.  But his book says 10 dollars a grade lower. Not understanding what he's getting at. 

The entire mint set for 2005 sells for a few dollars - far less than the dime for which someone paid $$$ to have stuck in plastic.

Most mint set coins from 2005-2010 will grade Unc-67 or 68 -- sometimes a little better.

Modern proof and mint sets often sell for less than original issue price. There are a few exceptions, but not many. They are wholesaled by the thousands.

Edited by RWB

On 10/21/2020 at 7:24 AM, Hinkle said:

Hi everyone, ok I'm a little confused on this coin. I bought this and a barber dime a couple of weeks ago. I showed this to an individual and he scoped it out for like 30 minutes,  and told me the reason I paid 15 dollars for this coin is the scratches and damage of the capsule. I thought it was about the coin not the capsule. Remind you this guy is old school he goes buy his books. He doesn't get on the web for anything.

Opinions like this are free so take them for what they are worth.  If the holder is scuffed you can easily fix that with a bottle of PlastiX and a clean cloth.

I understand people want the capsule beautiful and pretty, but in my case like usual I end up with odd stuff. I didn't know the capsules would bring down the value.

It wont to the market at large unless the holder is so badly damaged that the holder requires replacement to be able to view the coin; not the case imo from your photos.

Then it was pointed out to me that the coin should have not been graded so high MS68. That the highest it should of been graded is MS63 or 64. Because of the major nick and scuffs on the reverse. He saying, don't know what was going on while they were graded the coin but should be an error on the grading company's part. He's also saying that it's a good example coin I got here to compare other coins I might get graded in the future.

Grades are opinions, if you sent that coin in ten times my guess is that 9 out of 10 times the grade would be the same, although not automatically the same grade as the holder shows now.  The market as a whole will value the opinion of the TPG over the opinion of some random guy with a book; whatever book that is.

Long story short, he wants to buy it, but it's not for sale. He wants it so he can have something he can throw back at the grading company if he gets back a graded coin that should've, would've lol. What excites me, I have a cool conversation piece. I just need to learn more about grading I guess,  but I'm not close to that part of the hobby yet. But some day I will be able to be at that point, not right now though. Any help would be great. Thanks 

I call BS on that, the TPG could not care less about his, yours, or my grade opinion.  They gave their opinion with a grade and will stand behind that opinion, sounds like this guy just wants to buy the coin for himself and gave a creative reason so that you would sell.  At the end of the day its your coin, sell if you need or want to, keep it if you like it.

I've been doing some research on this coin. Found out PCGS grades FB top and bottom horizontal and has to be well rounded. NGC grades horizontal and vertical well rounded on mint state coin's. Pretty much the whole torch. I was looking at the coin again and the band going horizontal on the bottom of the torch isn't well rounded. It took some kind of slight hit. So I'm thinking I ended up with a high graded damaged coin. I feel like this coin should have not got pass the grading process. I'm feeling that is a rare circumstance on this. Hmmm 

1 minute ago, Hinkle said:

I've been doing some research on this coin. Found out PCGS grades FB top and bottom horizontal and has to be well rounded. NGC grades horizontal and vertical well rounded on mint state coin's. Pretty much the whole torch. I was looking at the coin again and the band going horizontal on the bottom of the torch isn't well rounded. It took some kind of slight hit. So I'm thinking I ended up with a high graded damaged coin. I feel like this coin should have not got pass the grading process. I'm feeling that is a rare circumstance on this. Hmmm 

20201022_094951.jpg

19 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Opinions like this are free so take them for what they are worth.  If the holder is scuffed you can easily fix that with a bottle of PlastiX and a clean cloth.

It wont to the market at large unless the holder is so badly damaged that the holder requires replacement to be able to view the coin; not the case imo from your photos.

Grades are opinions, if you sent that coin in ten times my guess is that 9 out of 10 times the grade would be the same, although not automatically the same grade as the holder shows now.  The market as a whole will value the opinion of the TPG over the opinion of some random guy with a book; whatever book that is.

I call BS on that, the TPG could not care less about his, yours, or my grade opinion.  They gave their opinion with a grade and will stand behind that opinion, sounds like this guy just wants to buy the coin for himself and gave a creative reason so that you would sell.  At the end of the day its your coin, sell if you need or want to, keep it if you like it.

Thanks Coinbuf, yes it's a keeper. I'll do what you suggest on cleaning the scratches. 

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Grades are opinions, if you sent that coin in ten times my guess is that 9 out of 10 times the grade would be the same,

About 7 out of 10.  When the professional graders compete in the Contests PCGS sometimes does at the ANA or Fun shows they tend to score around 70%.

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

the band going horizontal on the bottom of the torch isn't well rounded. It took some kind of slight hit.

Looks like two hits, one on the upper and one on the lower but the hits don't cress the split in the bands so it still qualifies as full band.

23 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

but the hits don't cress the split in the bands so it still qualifies as full band.

Am I the only one who finds these criteria far too arbitrary, to the point of silliness? "But if you twirl it around your head three times, and the mark doesn't move..."

Edited by VKurtB

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I would like to see a closer picture of the full obverse, if you don't mind.

That's funny, I was going to ask if anyone would like to see the obverse. There's dings there also. But yeah I'll show it.

30 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I would like to see a closer picture of the full obverse, if you don't mind.

I only see tree dings, I circled the spots, the rest is pretty much scratches on the capsule. 

20201022_143507.jpg

20201022_143136.jpg