• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a 1776 Continental Coin Real or Fake?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Weight: 19 grams

Material: Silver

I went to a pawn shop to check the weight and check if it had silver, they told me that it "weighs 19grams" and "It has silver and something else" is what they said.

I have researched so i knew the "something else" would be pewter.

I am just wondering if any of yall know or can tell if its real or fake.

Thank You, Adriel

2020-10-20 (2).png

2020-10-20 (3).png

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum-

Not even a good replica. I think that this coin has been posted about 100 times and no one has come up with a genuine one yet. They have all been fakes.

I thought it was a decent chance of it being real because it has silver in it. Didnt think the fakes would have silver and weigh 19grams. Could you explain how you can tell its a fake please and thank you.

Could you explain how you can tell its a fake please and thank you.

There are several factors including a genuine coin is sold silver, not "silver and something else" but the easiest way to tell is that it is stamped with an R which stands for Replica.

210502884.png

5 hours ago, Greenstang said:

There are several factors including a genuine coin is sold silver, not "silver and something else" but the easiest way to tell is that it is stamped with an R which stands for Replica.

210502884.png

So to clarify, the real coin is ONLY silver? because I searched it up and it says silver and PEWTER(which is what i thought the "something else" would be) Quote from Coinquest.com "Genuine coins are made of pewter, brass, and silver"

And for the "R" stamped is that what the replicas usually have and at that location? or are they in random locations? (would like to see a photo of the same coin with the same little "R" if possible)

I also saw that Replicas or Copies are never in the correct weight, but this coin is(19 grams). Also is weird to me that a Replica would have Silver.

This all has been really interesting, so thank you for taking the time to respond.

Genuine coins were struck in silver; they were also struck in pewter, and they were also struck in brass. They were not struck in an alloy of silver and pewter. The interpretation depends on how the sentence is written and how you read it.

Not all replicas have the "R" struck on them. In fact, most of the examples posted on here don't have it. If you look at pictures of genuine examples, you can easily see differences in your coin and a genuine coin.

Copies and replicas have been made and sold for many years and in many places. There is no hard and fast rule as far as the weight being the same as, or different from,  a genuine coin. 

20 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Here is the picture you requested.

s-l400-3.jpg

I see i appreciate it. Im going to try some tests with it like (magnet test) and really look at it closer.

and if it is a Replica what would you recommend i do with the coin? Would it sell for like $10 or would it be better to melt it to get the silver from it?

I have no idea what the silver content of this particular replica is, so I can't say whether or not it would be worth it to melt it for the silver and I am not even sure how to go about doing that. If you do sell it to someone who is not a dealer or knowledgeable collector, make sure you do it with full disclosure.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I have no idea what the silver content of this particular replica is, so I can't say whether or not it would be worth it to melt it for the silver and I am not even sure how to go about doing that. If you do sell it to someone who is not a dealer or knowledgeable collector, make sure you do it with full disclosure.

You said that they dont mix Metals, but i found a video proving they do. go 15sec back from where it starts. Start at 27min.

Edited by AdrielT
correction

I did not say they didn't mix metals. I mentioned brass. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.

I mentioned pewter. Pewter is an alloy of tin, antimony (or lead, in earlier times), copper, bismuth, and sometimes, silver.

Coins made from silver were almost always mixed with some metal, usually copper.

My point was that the way the quote from Coinquest was worded could be misleading.

Your replica is very likely pewter, which is why some silver showed in the test.

I am just trying to help you understand that your coin is a replica, and that many of them have been, and are still being, made and sold. Evidently, I am doing a poor job of it.

If you want to disagree with my assessment, that is fine.

25 minutes ago, Brad Roberts said:

Thanks for the replica mark info. I have one with the "R" so that answers my authentication question I haven't posted yet.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

On 6/25/2022 at 11:07 AM, MEP44 said:

I have one too and assume its a fake as well.  ???

Thanks

Unfortunately, it is a fake. It appears to have been cast in a mold. Or, if it was made in Britain, it was cast in a mould.

TCGB--The genuine pieces, which are rare, were made of silver, pewter (an alloy that is mainly tin) or rarely brass.  Your piece is mostly lead (Pb) with only a trace of tin (Sn).  The uniformly dark and rough surfaces and weak details also identify this as one of the countless copies and replicas made over the years.  For an example of a genuine pewter example that is currently being offered for sale, go to https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-Z7V5I/1776-1783-continental-dollar-newman-2-c-w-8455-rarity-3-currency-pewter-ms-64-ngc  .

I also have one too. It was given to me by my mother n law along with her whole collection. This one stood out. Real or fake is hard to figure out. Mine looks close to the real ones that I've seen graded. If it is real I would like to get it graded. What should I do!? Please help. 

20230323_222658.jpg

20230323_222724.jpg

On 3/23/2023 at 7:30 PM, RichC1972 said:

I also have one too. It was given to me by my mother n law along with her whole collection. This one stood out. Real or fake is hard to figure out. Mine looks close to the real ones that I've seen graded. If it is real I would like to get it graded. What should I do!? Please help. 

20230323_222658.jpg

20230323_222724.jpg

Appears to be the typical souvenir replica from your photos. 

This thread is proving its own point. All the coins in this thread are fake. Typically counterfeiting is usually the other way around where there are a small amount of fakes in the mix of many genuine coins with the counterfeiter trying to take the money of someone who is unsuspecting. 

According to numismatist Eric P. Newman, an estimated 6,000 coins were minted, probably in New York.

With that mintage number, even long term collectors will never have one of these in hand unless they devoted their full resources to try to get an authentic one. Also being they were struck in sliver, pewter, and some in brass, the weights range from 15g to 19g, so for those throwing their scaled weights out there is about pointless in this discussion. 

Examples provided here either show details of the coin being in perfect condition (which if I am not mistaken the highest known grade of an authentic of these coins is an MS 62), or either have washed out or mushy details. As for the R, that was basically nice of the maker to try to not deceive the person buying it, but true counterfeiters are not going to be that nice.

With as many fakes as are in this thread, I seriously doubt we will see a genuine one make an appearance.

@TheArtofHorror--Welcome to the NGC chat board. In the future, it would be better to post questions about specific coins as new topics in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum. NGC does not give free advice about the authenticity or grade of coins and apparently does not respond to posts in this forum after responding to the original author of the topic.

Your piece is almost certainly one of the extremely common "replicas" (fakes) that have been sold as novelties or souvenirs over the years. Compare its darkness, rough surfaces, and weak lettering and details with these photos of a genuine continental dollar from the NGC Coin Explorer:

Continental Dollars

Continental Dollars