• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would someone be able to tell me why this would be graded the way it was?

18 posts in this topic

Good morning, 

I wonder if anyone could offer some insight.  I'm having a hard time figuring out why my Morgan dollars are coming back several grades lower than others I have seen (graded by NGC) in similar condition while I've been researching online.  

I submitted this 1884 CC a couple of weeks ago, and really confused about why it came back ms62 (I had estimated that the lowest it would possibly come back would be MS65).  

Would you, the coin community, be able to tell me why this would come back MS62?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Audrey

Screenshot_20201020-093654.png

Screenshot_20201020-093704.png

The cheek and neck (i.e., the prime focal areas) on your coin are pretty marred up. In my opinion, your coin is nowhere near MS-65 quality. Here is an image on another 1884 CC graded MS-65 taken from Heritage.

219061C7-08B7-489E-B8DE-191A1E1B7E68.jpeg.5c3e797de625c4e57e77ba0bfa901c84.jpeg

You should immediately notice how your coin has substantially more chatter in the primary focal areas than the example I provided. 

I'll just echo what has been said, the marks are too severe and the placement of the marks precludes any grade higher than MS63.  CC Morgans are often seen with heavy and numinous bag marks like yours, this is due to the rough handling they received.  Carson City was very remote and the raw silver and finished coins were transported via wagon over some very rough roads which lead to the coins being banged about in the bags.

Thank you everyone!  I'll have to keep that in mind when deciding which of our coins are worth grading and which I should keep ungraded in the holders.

I appreciate all of your helpful replies.

3 minutes ago, Scigrl35 said:

I'll have to keep that in mind when deciding which of our coins are worth grading

It would be helpful to pick up the ANA Official Grading Guide.  I have one and it points out on each type coin what are the prime focal points and what are the secondary focal points of each denomination.  this will be helpful in letting you decide if you wish to have them graded.

18 minutes ago, JTNewell said:

It would be helpful to pick up the ANA Official Grading Guide.  I have one and it points out on each type coin what are the prime focal points and what are the secondary focal points of each denomination.  this will be helpful in letting you decide if you wish to have them graded.

That is a fantastic idea.  It would probably save me a lot of time scrolling through auction sites to educate myself on grading standards.  This would actually be an awesome holiday gift idea for my husband, who is the actual collector, so thank you twice!

45 minutes ago, Scigrl35 said:

That is a fantastic idea.  It would probably save me a lot of time scrolling through auction sites to educate myself on grading standards.  This would actually be an awesome holiday gift idea for my husband, who is the actual collector, so thank you twice!

Sorry I'm late and the guys are correct.  She's a 62.  Now this might help you a little.  It's pretty good for beginners:

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-grade-morgan-dollars-768394

1 hour ago, Scigrl35 said:

It's what I use. It breaks down uncirculated Morgans by grade requirements from 60 to 70, each step receiving description, and shows visuals of the prime and secondary focal areas on both sides. Enormously helpful in determining the impact of imperfections.

Always do remember: up to MS-68, coins are graded with the naked eye. They might be authenticated using a loupe or microscope, or some visible anomaly might be examined with greater care, or error attribution might be performed, but to give it a grade up to 68 you have to be able to discern a mark or flaw with the naked eye for it to count.

Thank you again, everyone, That gives me a lot of helpful insight!  I'm going to pick up that book and learn more about specific grades, and that will help when deciding estimated values when sending in future submissions.  Comparing similar ngc graded coins from different auction sites hasn't been very helpful, as it seems like the conditions for a specific grade are pretty variable.  I do appreciate all of your help!

5 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Seems to me someone should take away your keyboard when you start drinking.  

Haha I read the comment as hinting that people question the credibility of the graders when their coin comes back lower than they had hoped.  

The reason why Morgan dollars often have an excellent reverse, and scraped and marked obverse was just posted. Might be just a little bit some will enjoy knowing about.

46 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Seems to me someone should take away your keyboard when you start drinking.  

try heritages auction archives and see if you can grasp what the TPGs are grading as..

Cheaper than a book and the Magnification gives a closer look.. But thats just for grading, When it comes to toning you're just going get some experience. 

3 hours ago, Scigrl35 said:

.  Comparing similar ngc graded coins from different auction sites hasn't been very helpful, as it seems like the conditions for a specific grade are pretty variable.

The quality of internet photos is also highly variable. That can make it difficult to compare coins of the same grade.