• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Lincoln question
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Came across this one today. This is a bronze as it came in at 3.12 grams. Obviously it has a lot of environmental issues but the date on this cent does not look to me to have anything remotely close to resembling PMD (meaning the date only regarding no PMD as I know there is a lot of PMD on the rest of this cent). Not quite sure how this would have occurred by the “bending” of the 1 in the date. Thank you for any comments. 

E62B8536-4E54-4132-8834-F650D6CAAA67.jpeg

89D64FFC-ED04-46DE-B983-8DA3B8E0EB65.jpeg

F473BE1B-8CCE-4527-9883-ACF012E78D05.jpeg

Edited by Greg Bradford

Well I could be wrong, but it looks like someone was playing with some casting. I'm thinking it's not real. Or it's just too damaged to guess. 

15 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Well I could be wrong, but it looks like someone was playing with some casting. I'm thinking it's not real. Or it's just too damaged to guess. 

Hello bsshog and thank you for your comment. I don’t believe at all that this is not a real cent. I know it is very dirty but it weighs in correctly and has all the authentic markings of a Lincoln. As dirty as it is I am tempted to try to clean it up so we can see more details (no haters please and comments regarding if, how, or if I should clean it would be greatly appreciated 😁). 
The 1 is completely out of sorts and I’m just not sure how this would occur. 
It is unfortunate that this cent is in poor condition and I wish it was in better shape. 

Ok..... put this one to rest.....  I went ahead and used my Listerine cleaning technique (and NO, I would never clean a truly valuable coin with anything at all!!!) and can now see that there is definitely PMD that somehow pushed the 1 out of place in the date on this cent. There’s no way at all I could have seen this “hit” before I took off the grime. My apologies to all. Sincerely. 

0A1A207D-A151-4908-929E-E6F25C7C3071.jpeg

FDD15F0F-FE35-46BA-A3C5-3475D1126B81.jpeg

Good diagnosis Greg

I was going to say that it was PMD even before seeing the second photos due to the fact that what you have would be impossible to happen during the striking of the coin. You don't always need to know how it happened but how it didn't happen to determine if it is an error or PMD

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

You don't always need to know how it happened but how it didn't happen to determine if it is an error or PMD

I like that. 👍

This is one of those instances where cleaning was the best thing to do. You did not lower the value of the coin - it is still worth one cent - and you leaned something. (And, I am sure others did/will, too).

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

I wouldn't say the OP is a "newbie" with 214 posts.

He asked a question and then corrected himself  and "put this one to rest" with an apology..

I agree. It was a good post. He learned something, and maybe others did, too.

Sure, a lot of us knew that it was damaged, but he didn't. So, he asked. But, he figured it out on his own. And, that's a good thing.

Edited by Just Bob

3 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I can't believe the s@@@ that newbies post here.

First of all, I would like to say to you Mr. Modwriter, that I can’t believe you would so outlandishly and blatantly post the comment you did. I have to say I am a bit stunned that you would even take the time out of your day to say what you said. Am I offended, no sir.  I realize that some individuals believe themselves to be better than others. I come from a line of work in which I dealt with comments such as this, on a daily basis, so I let them “roll off of my back”.  
You have politely commented on some of my other posts which I do appreciate. But...... your latest comment on MY thread was absolutely uncalled for. 
As Greenstang and Just Bob pointed out (whom I consider both to be excellent teachers and very helpful to EVERYONE on this forum and I will even go so far as to call them my friends) I DID correct myself and I admitted to the fact that I made a mistake and even apologized. Had I not taken it upon myself to correct myself, and if I would have pushed the subject further of the Cent I found, then yes........ you “may” have had the appropriate grounds to respond in such a manner but WITHOUT using vulgar language. WOW!

MUCH appreciation to both Just Bob and Greenstang for their comments. I really appreciate their support. 
-Greg

27 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I agree. It was a good post. He learned something, and maybe others did, too.

Sure, a lot of us knew that it was damaged, but he didn't. So, he asked. But, he figured it out on his own. And, that's a good thing.

Thank you Just Bob for your comment and continued support!!  It is truly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

I wouldn't say the OP is a "newbie" with 214 posts.

He asked a question and then corrected himself  and "put this one to rest" with an apology..

Thank you Greenstang for all of your polite help you have offered to me. Thank you as well for your support!!

A very good learning example for anyone that roll hunts, it was clearly MD but by removing the crust you were able to actually see the damage, knowledge is key.

7 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

A very good learning example for anyone that roll hunts, it was clearly MD but by removing the crust you were able to actually see the damage, knowledge is key.

Yes sir. Thank you for your post. I do my best at learning from experience and research as we all have, and should do, for the sake of knowledge. I am still learning no doubt, especially the deeper I get into coin hunting. If not, I would not have made this post  I no doubt learned something here. Thank you Coinbuf and I hope my experience with this cent will be a learning experience for others. I’m all about helping anyone with a need and that extends to numismatics. Just take the time to research and do what’s right and knowledge will follow thereafter. Thanks!

On 10/18/2020 at 9:36 PM, Greg Bradford said:

but the date on this cent does not look to me to have anything remotely close to resembling PMD

The only part that disturbs me is this line, offered up first, BEFORE a thorough investigation. That was an error not only in that it turned out the way it did, but that it literally could not have been any other way.

9 hours ago, VKurtB said:

The only part that disturbs me is this line, offered up first, BEFORE a thorough investigation. That was an error not only in that it turned out the way it did, but that it literally could not have been any other way.

(I could have responded to this comment 1,000 different ways but I have chosen to be polite)

Hello VKurtB and thank you for your reply. BEFORE I say anything else.... can I buy you a cup of coffee to put a smile on your face?  Just asking. 👍 

18 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

(I could have responded to this comment 1,000 different ways but I have chosen to be polite)

Hello VKurtB and thank you for your reply. BEFORE I say anything else.... can I buy you a cup of coffee to put a smile on your face?  Just asking. 👍 

Don’t worry - you’re not the first person to dismiss damage that really is damage, and you won’t be the last. All I ask is some awareness FROM EVERYONE SO SITUATED that damage is by far always the “go to” explanation that needs to be assumed until proven otherwise. I know that’s not emotionally satisfying, but it’s almost always correct.

Edited by VKurtB

6 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Don’t worry - you’re not the first person to dismiss damage that really is damage, and you won’t be the last. All I ask is some awareness FROM EVERYONE SO SITUATED that damage is by far always the “go to” explanation that needs to be assumed until proven otherwise. I know that’s not emotionally satisfying, but it’s almost always correct.

Point taken and I agree sir. Thank you for your response. I know you are an extremely knowledgeable numismatic expert and I highly respect that. 
But...., if you are ever in Georgia, US....... please let me know. It would be a true pleasure to meet you and discuss numismatics with you!!  Thanks VKurt. Take care.👍
-Greg 

11 hours ago, Greg Bradford said:

Point taken and I agree sir. Thank you for your response. I know you are an extremely knowledgeable numismatic expert and I highly respect that. 
But...., if you are ever in Georgia, US....... please let me know. It would be a true pleasure to meet you and discuss numismatics with you!!  Thanks VKurt. Take care.👍
-Greg 

I'll be a Huntsville, Alabama resident in a few weeks. My first road trip will be for F.U.N. in Atlanta

On 10/19/2020 at 2:24 PM, Greg Bradford said:

First of all, I would like to say to you Mr. Modwriter, that I can’t believe you would so outlandishly and blatantly post the comment you did. I have to say I am a bit stunned that you would even take the time out of your day to say what you said. Am I offended, no sir.  I realize that some individuals believe themselves to be better than others. I come from a line of work in which I dealt with comments such as this, on a daily basis, so I let them “roll off of my back”.  
You have politely commented on some of my other posts which I do appreciate. But...... your latest comment on MY thread was absolutely uncalled for. 
As Greenstang and Just Bob pointed out (whom I consider both to be excellent teachers and very helpful to EVERYONE on this forum and I will even go so far as to call them my friends) I DID correct myself and I admitted to the fact that I made a mistake and even apologized. Had I not taken it upon myself to correct myself, and if I would have pushed the subject further of the Cent I found, then yes........ you “may” have had the appropriate grounds to respond in such a manner but WITHOUT using vulgar language. WOW!

MUCH appreciation to both Just Bob and Greenstang for their comments. I really appreciate their support. 
-Greg

My apologies dude. It did look like a newbie question and pic. I did not look to see who posted. Yes I can be a salty sailor. I did not see your apology. I was out of town on a Mission from God and just checking in tonight. If you are ever in socal I will buy you a beer or three.

01314efc47a30b4d04c733a82faf46da.jpg

9 hours ago, Modwriter said:

My apologies dude. It did look like a newbie question and pic. I did not look to see who posted. Yes I can be a salty sailor. I did not see your apology. I was out of town on a Mission from God and just checking in tonight. If you are ever in socal I will buy you a beer or three.

01314efc47a30b4d04c733a82faf46da.jpg

No worries at all my friend and apology taken. Thank you. By no means at all am I an expert (maybe one day..... Lol). Good pic too👍

15 hours ago, Greg Bradford said:

No worries at all my friend and apology taken. Thank you. By no means at all am I an expert (maybe one day..... Lol). Good pic too👍

Were always learning!

1 minute ago, Modwriter said:

Were always learning!

Absolutely!!  👍. That’s the beauty of this hobby, or profession for some, in that we can all learn something from those involved. Nothing more I would like to do than quit my job and just look at coins all day long.......... maybe one day......  just maybe......