• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What this forum needs is a few contest/give-away threads. Post here to enter this one!

37 posts in this topic

Closed to new entries! @5:00 pm PDT 10-28-20

Just post an emoji or a couple of words indicating your desire to enter this stupendous giveaway!  Or in 10,000 words or less, explain why you would like to win this Genuine 1938-D Buffalo Nickel. 

Just keep in mind that this is a random drawing. Ten thousand words won't increase your odds.

Sure, a pedestrian coin, you say. But it does have a full horn! And when I got it it was in a cool old plastic holder. The winner gets that too! Postage paid! 

One entry per person, each will be given a number and my young grandson will pull one number, written on paper, from a box containing all the numbers on same size papers.

Entries must be posted in this thread by Wednesday October 28, 5:00 pm PDT to be tossed in the box for your chance to win big. 

Drawing will be Thursday, October 29, after nap time, (PDT).

Employees and administrators of Professor Hill's Virtual Emporium of Rare Coins and Numismatic Sundries.... NOT eligible to enter or win. 

Edited by ProfHaroldHill
Closed to new entries.

Only two entry posts in over 24 hours. Maybe I should sweeten the prize.

Did I mention that the 1938-D Buffalo Nickel has a full horn? That's sweet, but maybe not sweet enough! 

Okay, the winner ALSO gets an original, September 1930 issue of The Numismatist, published by the ANA!

Great articles and information on coins of the day, AND awesomely cool ads with prices that will make you wish you had a time machine!

IMG_20201019_164453~2.jpg

IMG_20201019_164044~2.jpg

IMG_20201019_171728~2.jpg

IMG_20201019_164925~2.jpg

IMG_20201019_164816~2.jpg

3 hours ago, ronnie stein said:

Oh yes, count me in. Thanks, good man. (Going to the garage, continue to work on my time machine. Rocking on 70, and don't care if I return to the present) :) 

Awesome!  On your way back from buying the coins, stop by the 50s and pick up some baseball cards!

So much to do on the way back, I'm going to have to skip the baseball cards. Besides, I plan on getting an antique bicycle, and don't you just know I'd end up clothes pinning the baseball cards to the frame, angled into the spokes to make that awesome flutter noise.  :)

7 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

So much to do on the way back, I'm going to have to skip the baseball cards. Besides, I plan on getting an antique bicycle, and don't you just know I'd end up clothes pinning the baseball cards to the frame, angled into the spokes to make that awesome flutter noise.  :)

I remember those days well. I used playing cards that I pilfered from the family game chest. 9_9

I seen this post the other day but I got sidetracked or nowadays it's considered sometimers. Lol

I'm in! Thanks for the chance! 

Btw, NGC use to have some great weekly trivia contests back in the day. Those were fun and got a lot of participation.  

18 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Btw, NGC use to have some great weekly trivia contests back in the day. Those were fun and got a lot of participation.  

Sounds like this place was first class, once upon a time. Maybe they'll bring those contests back. I registered here almost seven years ago but only started posting when the PCGS forum started to crumble under the burden of a heavy handed mod crew.

When they zapped the thread about having a beer or glass of wine before enjoying coins online, when there had been not even a hint of animosity at all,  I knew the new mod(s?) was enforcing their own personal values and beliefs, not just keeping things civil.

Hopefully this forum can revive even as the one ATS declines.

Same as Bosshog.  I meant to write an entry about my pursuit of the best in class circulated Buffalo Nickels set (which I had last year on a technicality then a heavy showed up this year and pretty much stepped into 1st place) lacking a '38.  Which is understandable when you mention how pedestrian the coin can be coupled with the prolific availability in mint state grades.  It'll probably be one of my last spots to fill with a raw submission (can I just grab a 62 and rub it between my fingers a few times to get a 58?) unless I luck upon one.

I should check for ANACS holders of submissions by inexperienced graders thinking a circulated coin is more valuable than it is.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:39 PM, VKurtB said:

Who said anything about it walking? :insane:

You're right. It's father was a 3-legged of the Denver breed, which means he, like his father, actually can't walk.

It was a tragedy until by a real stroke of luck he got that job at the US Mint, posing for the reverse design of the new nickel for Jimmy Fraser.

I suppose that crack I made about the Buffalo being pedestrian was insensitive. Then again, if he's anything... He's thick-skinned.

Another emoji posted, another entry registered! 

Edited by ProfHaroldHill